Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i
damn alternator

have had a busy few days.
front suspension overhaul done.
valve cover gasket done
new spark plugs installed
external valet....done on only nice day here

now alternator made lot of noise when stopped at traffic lights.headlights flickered like crazy.
got to garage and removed alternator.....full of leaves in cooling duct.checked voltage had gone down to 4...
cant remember who posted to put gauze in ducting to stop blockage occuring....now im regretting not doing it straight away.
i have learnt alot from members. this has been the only thing i never got around to!!!!
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
You don't put gauze, you install Gutter Guard as in Step #12:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379225

Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i
Thanks cn90. Should be putting alternator back in later. Will try get something like that

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Nice pic today of leaves in the air-cooled alternator:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Alt Replacement
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, these threads today deal with how to prevent leaves or how to clean out the leafy litter from the I6 alternator air duct:
Quote:
Originally Posted by small_525 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...-/141035603526

Looking at the picture it looks like there is a screen/filter on that elbow on the rear cap. I don't recall seeing one on my old or rebuilt one so I put scotchbrite in the lower grill to keep the leaves out. I wonder of that isn't a nicer option (cleaner looking)? Realoem doesn't detail of the replacement cap has that there or not.

Anyone have that as OEM? Got pictures. Any idea if something could be fashioned to work like that? I'd thought about it but wasn't certain how or what to do. Another DIY option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Actually that cap is useless. Remove it.
That cap is a response to issues with leaves collecting in the alternator. Another dumb solution to a problem.
So instead of leaves collecting inside the alternator, it collects at that rubber cap!!!

Also, don't attach the factory air duct, while great in theory, in reality it is not. It collects leaves, debris brought in from the bumper intake area.
Unless you install a screen at the bumper (I posted some photo of that in another thread), get rid of the factory air duct.

To summarize it:
- Remove factory air duct.
- If you buy this new Bosch alt, remove the rubber screen.

Many many cars don't have any of these ducts and do just fine. It is over-engineering without real-world feedback.
See also:
- How to prevent leaves in your alternator air-intake duct (1) (2)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator_screen.gif
Views:	246
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	393999  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.