Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
"Service Engine Soon" light on 2007 328i

Hello everyone,

I have had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on my car for the fourth time in the last 3-4 months. The first two times I took my car to my dealer, I think they just reset it thinking that it is the usual fuel cap issue without investigating it thoroughly. The third time the light came on, the dealer said the issue was fixed by replacing DMTL vent valve. Now in ~3 weeks since my last visit to the dealer, the light is back on again. I am not sure what I am supposed to do now. Any other 328i owners seeing this issue?

I live in Northern California (Bay area) and would like some recommendations of some good BMW dealers + service advisors who are good. The service advisor I went to at BMW of Fremont is clearly incompetent as he did not even care to investigate it properly the first two times I took it in. (I even told him that it cannot be the usual did-not-close-the-fuel-cap-properly issue as I very careful about closing the cap every time I refuel.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zzz
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingerburger View Post
Now in ~3 weeks since my last visit to the dealer, the light is back on again. I am not sure what I am supposed to do now. Any other 328i owners seeing this issue?
You need to take it back in. You are having multiple issueS, not a single issue.

Check www.bimrs.org, or your local BMWCCA chapter's newsletter for independent BMW shops.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
For sure take it back in. I use BMW of Concord and I'm happy with their work.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
OP says they replaced the DMTL vent valve. I wonder if the charcoal canister may be contaminated.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' 328i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingerburger View Post
Hello everyone,

I have had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on my car for the fourth time in the last 3-4 months. The first two times I took my car to my dealer, I think they just reset it thinking that it is the usual fuel cap issue without investigating it thoroughly. The third time the light came on, the dealer said the issue was fixed by replacing DMTL vent valve. Now in ~3 weeks since my last visit to the dealer, the light is back on again. I am not sure what I am supposed to do now. Any other 328i owners seeing this issue?

I live in Northern California (Bay area) and would like some recommendations of some good BMW dealers + service advisors who are good. The service advisor I went to at BMW of Fremont is clearly incompetent as he did not even care to investigate it properly the first two times I took it in. (I even told him that it cannot be the usual did-not-close-the-fuel-cap-properly issue as I very careful about closing the cap every time I refuel.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zzz
Every time I would get a check engine light in my BMW's it would be for an oxygen sensor..

The dealer MUST be checking the code once they hook the diagnostics up otherwise they would have NO idea where to start.

Take it back to them and make sure they do it right. I would even ask to watch them peform the check while you stand there. I doubt they do this for insurance purposes, but it is just a thought.