Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: E83 X3
Car not Starting, EWS Issue? Starter already changed

Hi Guys,

So after looking around and searching Im getting a little stuck. A few days ago, I was driving the wife's 2006 X3 when I heard a loud pop in the passenger footwell area. Thought it was super weird but there were also empty plastic bottles on the floor so I figured one popped from the heat. Anyway, stopped for an hour to eat and when I came out the car wouldnt start. Sounded exactly like a starter motor issue.

So...I checked the battery, no issues there, also checked all the fuses and they are good. then I went and replaced the starter motor. Still no start.

The symptoms now that I have done some research are as follows:
1.) Every time I go to start, there is a single click...I check and put my finger on the starter solenoid during this time, and Im 99% sure the click is coming from that.
2.) I tried all keys that I have, none will start
3.) No codes in the computer on my OBD
4.) Thru another post, there was something about the EWS...I realized that the lock/unlock weren't working on the key fob. Went to go resync the key to the car, and it will not resync. Along with that, I don't think I can hear the fuel pumps priming when turning the key to position 2
5.) My wife off and on for the past few weeks complained of the key fob not unlocking/locking the car...didn't think anything of it at the time because she complains about stuff like this all the time she usually just wasn't close enough or whatever.

Could it be an EWS or DME issue? Or maybe the EWS igntion ring? Where are these units located?

I figured I could at least pull them out and see if they look fried. If they need to be replaced, the dealer needs to program them correct? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2014, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Did you check your battery?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuge168 View Post
Did you check your battery?
yes, checked the battery...even for grins tried jumping it...from terminals inside hood, fyi.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow1 View Post
Any other ideas?
Might be a bit far-fetched, but would this chain of events be plausible?

It's the only thing I can think of that explains the pop noise, the no-start and the remote locking failure.

Side airbag in the driver's door developed some sort of a problem that caused the battery safety terminal (BST) to blow.

(Not sure if when the BST blows it just prevents a start and all other electrics are O.K.?)

Whatever was happening with the side airbag could have developed over a few days, first preventing the remote locking mechanism from working, and then causing the BST to blow.

Might be worth ruling out the BST before looking at the EWS because that is a separate system from the remote locking and doesn't explain the two problems together, nor does it explain the pop noise.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Ok good idea...ill take a look at the BST...that is located in the rear attached to the actual car battery correct? But, regarding the pop...it came from the passenger side footwell area...at least thats how it sounded. It could very well have been somewhere else.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Yes, when it's blown I think you can see something sticking out of the black case.

AFAIK, they have been known in rare cases to blow for reasons other than full airbag deployment.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Might be a bit far-fetched, but would this chain of events be plausible?

It's the only thing I can think of that explains the pop noise, the no-start and the remote locking failure.

Side airbag in the driver's door developed some sort of a problem that caused the battery safety terminal (BST) to blow.

(Not sure if when the BST blows it just prevents a start and all other electrics are O.K.?)

Whatever was happening with the side airbag could have developed over a few days, first preventing the remote locking mechanism from working, and then causing the BST to blow.

Might be worth ruling out the BST before looking at the EWS because that is a separate system from the remote locking and doesn't explain the two problems together, nor does it explain the pop noise.
You are the EFFING MAN!!! Sure enough, that stupid BST wire was not hooked up. I have no idea what happened...super weird. And it wasn't all the way off, just barely off. You wouldnt even notice it was off unless you tugged on it. I still can't sync my key (which is only 6 months old) but whatever...the car runs!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
other causes

bad ground and lightening have been known to cause the bst to pop down here...also don't forget the rash of failed/part failed main battery cables in some BMWs that transit past the passengers area from the battery in the rear all the way to the engine compartment....the plastic covers are easy to pop off to inspect the cable

Last edited by swampX3; 09-29-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Sweet deduction Supercourse.