Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
DIY Microfilter change

Ok, I have searched the 6 forum with no results. Has anyone out there changed the microfilters on their 6? If so, can you post instructions on how to do so? All I could find was how to reset the service indicators. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 645 E64
Undo the clips, take the cover off, remove/replace filter, replace cover and re-fix clips!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 AM

From a previous thread I searched and found:

"Can anyone recommend a place to purchase the microfilters and advise how to change on a 2005 645ci? My light is on and the dealer wanted $140 for the parts and $80 to change it!"

This leads me to believe:

1. There is more than one filter

2. If it was as simple as opening a compartment and placing the new one in, it wouldn't cost $80.

Does anyone know where the microfilters are located and how to change them?

I replaced a 3 series microfilter which was a bit of a trick. It was segmented and had to be folded to slide into the compartment, which was under the dashboard.

I am not asking about the engine air filter if anyone is confused. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

There are two microfilters - under the hood just in front of the windshield - black plastic boxes about 12in by 6in with the lids clipped on. Follow my instructions above, take a lid off and you'll see the filter.

They're $80 because they are BMW parts................
Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 645 Conv.
From what was described in this thread, seems like it would be similar to the 7 series...see the post here as it has pictures along with the instructions: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260208

I'm going to do this myself too!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysm1 View Post
From what was described in this thread, seems like it would be similar to the 7 series...see the post here as it has pictures along with the instructions: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260208

I'm going to do this myself too!
Yes - very similar, slightly different shape but same location
Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I just did mine, first go to www.autohausaz.com and buy the microfilters. They are only $16 each for the OEM or $24 each for a charcoal one. If you already bought them from the dealer, well you probably paid too much.

I took a picture to illustrate the VERY simple removal of the microfilter. The housing is located directly in front of the driver against the firewall. If you open the hood, it will be basically up against the windshield wipers on both sides. The removal for each is the same. You have two steps to remove the microfilter cover - unclip on the left, then use a 13mm socket to turn the plastic screw indicated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Great illustration tampamark. Seems easy enough to do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks Tampamark!!!!!

Thanks Tamapmark! I really, really appreciate your efforts. I haven't purchased the filters yet, so thanks for the great source.

You saved me some bucks, so where should I send the check?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

No worries guys, that is what this board is all about. Remember you will need to purchase qty 2 for the filters.

Make note when you take the filter out. One side has a foam "gasket". When you remove your old one just make sure you observe and put the new one in with that facing the same way. You really cannot get it to seat right if you put it in 180 degrees wrong, there is a notch on one side of the filter that matches a plastic peice on the housing. But it could be missed and since it is a paper filter could be forced in.

It is as simple as it looks!

I had my car in for an alignment and my microfilter service was due. They wanted close to $300!!!! I bought the good ones for $50 or so, free shipping. Here is the link for the 650 filter, don't know if it is different for the 645.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ollen%20Filter
Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
No worries guys, that is what this board is all about. Remember you will need to purchase qty 2 for the filters.

Make note when you take the filter out. One side has a foam "gasket". When you remove your old one just make sure you observe and put the new one in with that facing the same way. You really cannot get it to seat right if you put it in 180 degrees wrong, there is a notch on one side of the filter that matches a plastic peice on the housing. But it could be missed and since it is a paper filter could be forced in.

I had my car in for an alignment and my microfilter service was due. They wanted close to $300!!!! I bought the good ones for $50 or so, free shipping. Here is the link for the 650 filter, don't know if it is different for the 645.

YOURE THE MAN! Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Quote:

Thanks for posting the link to buy the filters and the pictures on how to change it.

I appreciate it !!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
great suggestion... thanks for the detailed advice!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M6
Thanks for the info, just ordered mine today. The Stealership almost got me!

08 M6: Cabrio, Sapphire Black, H&R Lowering Springs, InCurve 20" Wheels, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Calipers Painted Red with M-Logo

02 Ford Focus SVT: Run around car
04 Ford F-150: For pulling sea doos and quads

04 645i Cabrio, Titanium Silver ( SOLD )
00 Mercedes CLK Conv (SOLD)
94 Mustang GT (SOLD)
88 Mustang GT (SOLD)
87 Honda CRX (SOLD)
77 BMW 320i (SOLD)
74 Mecury Capri V6 (SOLD)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
I wouldn't even replace them, try vacuuming them and the compartment. Replace only if really soiled.

2012 BMW 650i Coupe | Space Gray/Ivory White Leather
ZF 8-Speed·Head-Up Display·Premium Hi-Fi·Luxury Seating·Sport Pkg·BMW Apps

Retired:
2006 BMW 650i Coupe
2002 Porsche 996 Coupe
2000 Porsche 996 Coupe
1998 BMW 540i-6
1997 Audi A4
1994 BMW 530i
1990 Acura LS
1985 BMW 325e
1983 Lancia Zagato
1982 BMW 320i
1980 Triumph TR7
1970s Vespa Grande Moped
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CIc
How do you reset the message that it is due?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM

The service reset is very easy. Yorgi has a nice writeup in a DIY thread for brakes with detailed pictures. Make sure you go all the way down to step 5 of the reset procedure to see the icon for the Microfilter.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...81#post5723681

Also, here is a video from a 5 series, it is the same in our car so this video is a great illustration of the exact process. Note that if you pause too long between clicks on the Odometer button it exits out and you start over. You will get the hang of it:

Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I succesfully completed this DIY yesterday.. Thanks guys..

Also to put the car in ignition 3 mode.. Insert the key but do no depress the break.. All the lights will light up and thats how you can reset the iDrive intervals..

Thanks again..
Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
I agree with PIXL; changing the microfilters every two years, especially on a convertible, is nuts.

Followed the excellent video on reseting the Service Indicator lights. Successful with the inspection alert but screwed up filter alert by not pressing and holding the odometer reset button. No longer get the Reset? option. Instead, I get a series of coded messages in the display window. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
20 bucks on eBay...

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cat View Post
I agree with PIXL; changing the microfilters every two years, especially on a convertible, is nuts.

Followed the excellent video on reseting the Service Indicator lights. Successful with the inspection alert but screwed up filter alert by not pressing and holding the odometer reset button. No longer get the Reset? option. Instead, I get a series of coded messages in the display window. Anyone else with this problem?
You held the odometer reset button too long if ended up in the diagnostics mode with the German/coded messages on the screen. Once you go into diagnostics mode you have to remove and re-insert the car key to start over.

First make sure the ignition is on (press the Engine Start Button until the warning lamps light up in the top of the instrument cluster).
Then hold the odometer reset until you see the first service symbol (about 1 or 2 seconds after the triangle).
Then let go and start repeatedly pressing the odometer reset to cycle through the symbols.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 05-11-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo - laps vs lamps
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
This thread should be moved to the DIY section. I too spent quite some time looking for a way to access these filters.

There is a slight odor that comes into my car when the AC is first turned on. I was going to have the dealership look into this the next time I took it in for service. Being out of warranty, this wouldve come out of pocket at $$$/hr. Thanks to you guys, I now know a way of digging a bit deeper into this issue without getting them involved. I'm almost certain this is where the odor resides.

Cogito sumere potum alterum
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i black conv
So just wanted to bump this to the top with some additional commentary.

I consider myself fairly handy with DIY things and I have to be honest, this was soooo easy that it was almost unsatisfying... Seriously, it took maybe 5 minutes and that's becuase I was bored and took my time...

There are basically 2 threads on this subject:
  1. This one your reading
  2. Here is the other: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=microfilter
Both are correct and accurate. I would say that TampaMark's photo in both posts (and shown below for anyone feeling lazy right now) shows everything you need to know to change these out. He also provides a link to AutoHaus website for the filters. I can confirm that my searching lead me to the same conclusion - they have the lowest prices. I went for the active charcoal version and had to throw a few more things into the shopping basket to get "Free Shipping on orders over $50"

Regarding how to reset the service indicator, there are several explanations on both of these threads. Of course, to be different, I used Yorgi's explanation from his oil change DIY here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+change only becuause I liked his pictures. Again, this took probably 3 minutes to read twice and less than 1 minute to do.

If you are out of warranty, don't pay the dealership to do this. You'll spend more time placing the order for these than actually installing them. Save your money and spend it on something better.

Good luck! Corey
Quote:
Go to www.autohausaz.com and buy the microfilters. They are only $16 each for the OEM or $24 each for a charcoal one.

I took a picture to illustrate the VERY simple removal of the microfilter. The housing is located directly in front of the driver against the firewall. If you open the hood, it will be basically up against the windshield wipers on both sides. The removal for each is the same. You have two steps to remove the microfilter cover - unclip on the left, then use a 13mm socket to turn the plastic screw indicated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Thanks to Tampamark and the rest for your input on microfilter parts source and the filter change. Task went off perfectly - smooth and easy. One minor note, on my 645 I had to use an 8mm hex wrench instead of the 13mm socket on the retaining screw.

Last edited by 63olly; 11-25-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the additional input, that is really good to know. There seem to always be some subtle differences between the 645 and 650 models.