Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
X3, First look.

Yesterday I spent a few minutes around new X3. There was a promotion event sponsored by BMW and they brought two X3s and a new 5. Actually I had a chance to win a test drive for weekend, but some lady won instead.
Outside: Looked better on photos to me. In real life reminds me X5 for some reason. It was white, looked very plain and boring and big. The front grill is tall and upright, doesnít look right (let me guess: pedestrianís protection BS?). Very much prefer the size and proportion of the outgoing model, don't like its head and tail lights though.
Inside: Very nice. I am not big on wood in cars in general. Only one I liked so far was a poplar grey in old X3, but I've seen it only in the brochure, not in real life.
That one was dark brown with direct lines/pattern, I don't know the proper name for the color, but looked very good to me, very classy and just right amount of wood, not overdone. The steering wheel is nice, with thick rim. The chrome around of the airbag looks all right too, not cheesy, like on 3 series sport. Comfy seat, plenty of headroom, panoramic sunroof. To my shame I didn't pay attention to the audio and climate controls, some guy was seating on the passenger seat and was chatting with me all the time, probably got me distracted a bit. Joystick-like automatic transmission control (which I don't give a s. about). Anyway I wouldn't mind to live with a cockpit like that.
General impression: Very good, but at the same time somewhat unremarkable, politically correct, if I can say it about a vehicle. May be it is just me getting older and frustrated that I've never met my perfect match in cars. .
And I don't see how they will not hurt X5 sales, even if it will be upgrated soon.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Shame on you...lol

I can't believe you were the first on here to see it in person yet you brought us not a single picture? Even if you forgot to bring your camera, doesn't your cell phone take pictures? lol

We like pics! If fact these days when they have reviews, I'm looking for video. You could have been a real star if you had taken your video camera.

Thanks for the words though.

P.S. by the way, I think the size of the outgoing X3 is perfect too. I love the size. Easy to park, nice handling, not bulky. I keep hoping the new size doesn't change much. Not everyone wants a big familymobile. I keep telling myself it is only 3.4 inches. I hope it is not too noticible (except with rear legroom). I certainly didn't need a bigger trunk. That annoys me so much. The trunk was perfect.

Last edited by X3forlife; 11-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 AM

I didn't have the camera, because I just didn't know BMW would bring the actual X3s there.
The event was about home styling trends, not about cars. Anyways not a big loss, you've seen plenty of picks already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I hope it is not too noticible (except with rear legroom). I certainly didn't need a bigger trunk. That annoys me so much. The trunk was perfect.
It IS freaking noticeable!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Do you think it will be a Canadian dealer ''tour''??

Which Canadian city are you from??
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
I didn't have the camera, because I just didn't know BMW would bring the actual X3s there.
The event was about home styling trends, not about cars. Anyways not a big loss, you've seen plenty of picks already.

It IS freaking noticeable!
Wow...so 3.4 inches makes a big difference? Boo... I hope it still handles like a car. That just means the cayenne (which is 7 inches beyond that) is HUGE. The Cayenne is 10 inches more than the current X3. Like I said I like the size of the compact SUV.

You were inside, did it feel huge from the drivers seat (like a minivan?)...lol.

Live pictures are better than photo-shopped pictures. lol You should have used your cell phone.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Sneak preview for those in the L.A. area this Saturday

http://www.imakenews.com/pacificbmw/...JQJSD,bjJQ2hkN
Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i / 2011 X3 35i
Side Marker Lights - yuk

Anyone notice that for some reason BMW put the boomerang style side marker lights (amber) in the headlamp unit. Really looks horrible IMHO, and dated. Unfotunately, they can't be painted out, and to change to Euro light clusters would not only be very expensive, it might screw up the electrical system.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Do you think it will be a Canadian dealer ''tour''??

Which Canadian city are you from??
Toronto. They have two for sure, probably more...
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Wow...so 3.4 inches makes a big difference? Boo... I hope it still handles like a car. That just means the cayenne (which is 7 inches beyond that) is HUGE. The Cayenne is 10 inches more than the current X3. Like I said I like the size of the compact SUV.

You were inside, did it feel huge from the drivers seat (like a minivan?)...lol.

Live pictures are better than photo-shopped pictures. lol You should have used your cell phone.
Yeah, I probably should have. It didn't feel huge inside, not like minivan. But it looks big when you approach it. It was mentioned before that it is the same size as an old X5. Correct estimation IMO.
If I was shopping for one (I was considering old X3, before I got e91), I would be disappointed with size. I don't mind small SUVs, but despise large ones. The new X3 is in between on my scale. But hey, don't listen to me too much, everyone has his own view. May be when you see it, itís gonna be love at first sight.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5151 View Post
Anyone notice that for some reason BMW put the boomerang style side marker lights (amber) in the headlamp unit. Really looks horrible IMHO, and dated. Unfotunately, they can't be painted out, and to change to Euro light clusters would not only be very expensive, it might screw up the electrical system.
It's an old story with that orange s**t. Seems like BMW starts with ugly orange inside the head light,and after LCI changes it, so everybody wants to upgrade.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I will be at an unveiling show tomorrow and will bring lots of pics.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Are you bringing a tape measure?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I will be at an unveiling show tomorrow and will bring lots of pics.
Awesome. We look forward to it. If you can get a picture with someones's legs in the back seat, that would be great. There are not too many pictures of those.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Awesome. We look forward to it. If you can get a picture with someones's legs in the back seat, that would be great. There are not too many pictures of those.
I'll ask my SA.

I think she was a playboy bunny or at least should be
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Bob Smith BMW presentation

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=3

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Posted a quick blurb and pics under a new thread.

And yes I took a tape measure as well

It IS more spacious inside--no doubt.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I'll ask my SA.

I think she was a playboy bunny or at least should be
Funny. She is pretty. I appreciate you doing the pics. It's the first I've seen anywhere. Everyone else has just talked or has showed it with no legs. Honestly though, I really had trouble calling it more spacious except maybe 1 inch.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
Thanks. You guys are using digital cameras. Why not shoot 20 instead of 4? It's not like you have to pay to print them. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Porshce is coming with small SUV Cajun. If it will have a manual and an interior similar to Cayenne it will be a winner in my books. (unless they make it extremely ugly)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The Cajun (if they actually do it) will probably be based on the Tiguan or Q5 -- ie a little smaller than the current X3 and a fair bit smaller than the new X3. Probably close to the X1 size. Just my surmises have seen nothing to substantiate that.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
My wife and I saw a new X3 at an open house at a local BMW dealer this afternoon. They said it was not a US spec car. It had the turbo I-6 engine and dynamic handling package (?) controls on the console, but both front seats had manual, not power adjustments.

Our overall impression was very favorable. It did not convey the appearance of a larger vehicle per se, but one that is more up-scale looking. Dealer said it will be next February before they will have one available for a test drive, but they did mention they were taking orders today.

The front seating area felt more spacious and the center console is wider than in our '06 X3.

The rear seating area overall seemed more open and was easier to get in and out of, as the floor is flatter and door openings seemed larger. But to me, the rear seat in the new X3 is slightly lower to the floor than in our current car; i.e., my knees stick up higher off the front edge of the seat than in our current car.

Trunk looked like it had a wider useable area, but it did not look any deeper.

We're both curious to see how the drive and the ride of the new car compare to our '06 model.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 12-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.