Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
If buyers were paying attention to the details they would know the problem is confined to a few models.

128i does not have the fuel pump issue.
It's more than a few models. The N54 and N55 are used in almost every series. (1, 3, X3, Z4, 5, X5, 6). Its odd to me that the 135 is being singled out.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
It's more than a few models. The N54 and N55 are used in almost every series. (1, 3, X3, Z4, 5, X5, 6). Its odd to me that the 135 is being singled out.
It's not.

There IS no article. This is a Troll thread. It is made by trolls, fed by trolls. The trolls make up complete crap. Prices aren't plunging. No cars are stopping in their tracks.

Btw, WOW...I just read Consumer Reports' review of the 135. It is rated the HIGHEST in its class. YES, reliability is rated low, but CR LOVES this car. It rated a 97. The highest rating given any car is a ... 97.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post
It's not.

There IS no article. This is a Troll thread. It is made by trolls, fed by trolls. The trolls make up complete crap. Prices aren't plunging. No cars are stopping in their tracks.

Btw, WOW...I just read Consumer Reports' review of the 135. It is rated the HIGHEST in its class. YES, reliability is rated low, but CR LOVES this car. It rated a 97. The highest rating given any car is a ... 97.
You're the troll. You have to rationalize your bad decisions some way which is calling the rest of us names.

Here's another fact to wrap your tiny mind around. In the latest issue of CR, they have the reliability of the brand in general using all models. You'll see that Porsche and Scion are the most reliable brands while BMW ranks near the bottom of the heap. Even MB ranks above BMW which is surprising considering all of their past problems.

CR did give the 135i good marks in the handling department saying it was fun to drive. However, CR doesn't track cars, so their evaluation is somewhat limited. Also this is just a small part of the total picture when judging if a car is desirable to own. Consider the cheapest car made seldom has any issues with starting up and driving around yet the BMW turbos conk out due to a fuel pump problem. The owner has to waste his time with repairs and warranty considerations.

So you're going to spend your hard earned money for a car like this? And what other issues lay down the road with it? I don't want to find out. Finally I have noticed many of you have owned many BMWs in as many years. What's up with this? Can't you find any satisfaction with a car to want to keep it more than a year or two?

Last edited by BestCS; 11-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
CR DOES track cars.

CR gave the 135 its HIGHEST rating of ALL CARS TESTED.

NO WHERE does CR say what you say they said in your TROLL thread title.

Nobody buys a BMW for reliability. They buy it to drive the Ultimate Driving Machine. Which btw CR says the 135i is.

Enjoy your Mazda.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
So you're going to spend your hard earned money for a car like this? And what other issues lay down the road with it? I don't want to find out. Finally I have noticed many of you have owned many BMWs in as many years. What's up with this? Can't you find any satisfaction with a car to want to keep it more than a year or two?
We are all just extremely rich.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
CR did give the 135i good marks in the handling department saying it was fun to drive. However, CR doesn't track cars, so their evaluation is somewhat limited.
I suppose CR just makes things like this up? http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ter-track.html

BestCS, your credibility is shot like the HPFP on an N54.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
We are all just extremely rich.
I'm not that rich and I own a Mazdaspeed 3 but I find it boring... been driving for a year and I feel like I'm driving a cheap POS car. It's a damn grocery getter LOL. I'm gonna sell this thing and get me an 135i in a matter of month. Btw, I too agree that BestCS is the troll... He's bitching cause he can't afford a BMW.. BestCS, I suggest you go back to mazda forum and cry there!

Last edited by mazdaspeed3KING; 11-23-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Consumer Reports has identified the BMW 1 series with the worst reliability record ever..............
I'm afraid I'm out of the market for a car with these dangerous problems.
Sorry to hear you are out of the market
dhc3
Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 550i SP, 335i c, MB AMG
Duhh... safety is affected. Let's say my wife is driving through a part of town which is a "bad area", and she has a HPFP issue - sure, it could be unsafe! DO I want my wife in this car alone? No. There are several things like that. Secondly, if the fanboys still love the engine, great, fine. I have no problem with your personal choice, but one MUST acknowledge that the issue will turn off a large # of people, and those people will not buy the car, because of the HPFP issue. Heck, there are threads all over the boards where people bought a 528 or 328 or 128 or 550 or M series instead of a N54 derived car... Hence, less demand and an equal supply.... Do the math. My dealer says the 335i and 135i have seen a lot less traffic and interest since the story broke - he says the cars are in oversupply. So prices will suffer.
I don't get why the fanboys aren't outraged by the total lack of BMW ability to fix the flawed pump to work. Simply, the cars are sold, so why should they really care at this point? It is a huge money loser, and as time goes on, it will be the darkest chapter in the current BMW reliability saga.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Bon Vivant!

Oh poor me! I ain't got no money tsk tsk! But I have two wonderful roadsters: '06 MX-5 which is fun to drive and has bullet proof reliability, and a brand new '10 MB SLK 350 probably the sexist auto ever built. I was going to buy a 135i until I found out about the fuel pump problem. Also the MB was a deal after getting a $17K discount it was cheaper than a well equipped One.

Let me make myself clear. I owned a BMW 2002, drove it for 10 years, and had a great time with it. It was a wonderful car, but it was also a typical BMW, i.e., always something wrong and expensive to fix. In its case, the second gear syncho was the problem plus the front fenders rusted out. I was looking forward to buying a 135i; however, my purchase would have been deferred until the re-style and elimination of the Bangle Droop. I'm not willing to deal with something as dumb as a fuel pump failing and screwing around with the BMW service department. The one in my area just has too much attitude for me.

In this day and age especially with the steep price of a BMW, I expect a high degree of reliability. For those of you who still want this car, I'd buy the 128i. The non-turbo engine has 228HP which is plenty for a 3,200 pound car. The handling should still be about the same with the Sports Pkg.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 135I
like the saying goes, "if it got T*ts or wheels it'll give you problems" but i enjoy my 2011 135i its my second one and i wouldnt part from it, its a blast to drive. the n55 in my '11 feels a little different than my '10 n54 did, same power but at a different RPM range. my HDP failed once on my '10 but it was cranking too long, i never felt a power drop. I heard with the newest part # they havent failed.....yet, and im sure my N55 and all N55 out there should have the newest pumps. by the way i was looking around under my hood and guess what!! the DME (engine computer) is under the intake!! what they couldnt find a better place? ironically its near the high pressure pump.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaper1 View Post
like the saying goes, "if it got T*ts or wheels it'll give you problems" but i enjoy my 2011 135i its my second one and i wouldnt part from it, its a blast to drive. the n55 in my '11 feels a little different than my '10 n54 did, same power but at a different RPM range. my HDP failed once on my '10 but it was cranking too long, i never felt a power drop. I heard with the newest part # they havent failed.....yet, and im sure my N55 and all N55 out there should have the newest pumps. by the way i was looking around under my hood and guess what!! the DME (engine computer) is under the intake!! what they couldnt find a better place? ironically its near the high pressure pump.
Great, positive post.
Interesting screen name, too.

dhc3
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: I 135 Convertible
Today I got the dreaded yellow warning light and some power issues (had the HPFP replaced at 1500 miles, I am at 3300 today) and came home to find a Maritz Vehicle Customer Study survey . Needless to say the car goes in Monday and I filled out the 6 page survey before taking off my coat!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
Duhh... safety is affected. Let's say my wife is driving through a part of town which is a "bad area", and she has a HPFP issue - sure, it could be unsafe! DO I want my wife in this car alone? No. There are several things like that. Secondly, if the fanboys still love the engine, great, fine. I have no problem with your personal choice, but one MUST acknowledge that the issue will turn off a large # of people, and those people will not buy the car, because of the HPFP issue.
Why must it be fanboys who accept the engine, flaws and all? Seriously... I'm quite a long way from a fanboy; I don't even own a car with an N54 or N55 yet as an engineer I respect the engine for what it is. It's a very powerful engine that manages to be remarkably efficient while at the same time exhibiting excellent manners. The HPFP problem is certainly a concern but I would counter that it's no more a concern than with any other engine that pushes the limits.

Like it or not, BMW tend to be on the cutting edge of engineering. Their engines and cars almost always forge new paths and go in unexpected ways in order to meet their goals. There is a reason it's often referred to as the "bleeding edge", because BMW is often one of the few companies who really want to advance the engineering of roadgoing vehicles and push the envelope. Sometimes when you do that, something unexpected or unpredictable (in a lab) happens. That's what the HPFP problem is.

I would say that a large proportion of BMW buyers understand this. If you want to be conservative then fine; go buy a Japanese car. I haven't seen anything out of any of the Japanese manufacturers that pushes any engineering envelopes since the Acura NSX. They tend to be incredibly conservative which is why they get the reputation for reliability. I'm not saying they're bad cars; they're not. But if you live on the bleeding edge, sometimes you get injured. I for one am not going to think any less of BMW for this problem simply because the actual percentage of affected vehicles is almost certainly far lower than you (or Consumer Reports) are making it out to be.

Could BMW have handled it better? Yes. However, I see EVERY auto manufacturer doing it this way because they fear reactions exactly like yours. BMW are handling it better now, and in truth from reports I have heard they have already identified and fixed the problem with the latest HPFP part. Chances are had the news media not gotten wind of it, the problem would have dissipated on its own due to replacements removing the problem parts from the wild.

And as for your wife driving through a bad part of town... well if she has an HPFP failure then I'd say the best thing for her to do is not panic when the yellow symbol appears on the dash and just drive to a better area of town.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 550i SP, 335i c, MB AMG
There is nothing "cutting edge" about a turbo. And this is from an owner of the N54, and prior owner of 7 BMWs. 300 hp in a car is cutting edge??? No - it isn't. Heck, a honda accord v6 nearly has that much HP. There are several v6 cars with nearly 300 hp or more. What is the big deal? I am sure other companies could make more of these great engines, if they are willing to put out a flawed product like the n54. Cutting edge? Bleeding edge? Come on. There is no such thing as an engine that is "cutting edge" that also has unsolvable and unpredictable problems. Instead, the words are "untested and unreliable".

BMW reliability has suffered. The N54 engine is a fiasco. ANyone, who has a choice and is now aware, should seriously reconsider the car... there will be few buyers as the car gains mileage... and there is no clear fix.

So yes, BMW reliability is down because an unsolvable problem with a major engine in the lineup, and poor after-sales service to the owners. It is a joke.

Since when did BMW get into the alfa romeo end of poor reliability? It is unfortunate. Yes, there have been serious problems. I dont expect it to be as reliable as a japanese car... but I dont expect it to have unsolvable engine problems. Can you imagine buying a car in which the salesman says "the engine is great, but it fails inexplicably and BMW has no permanent fix, so do you want to buy the car since we can pay for a temporary fix?" Come on... That is the koolaid that fanboys are drinking.

That being said , I am SO HAPPY there are deluded fanboys who support the n54 engine, so that perhaps my car will have someone to buy it in the future. Keep posting about how the HPFP is worth it! At least until I sell my car! Post away! I doubt BMW will disclose the numerous fuel pumps - heck, search the threads, they often don't discuss the "buybacks" on cars that had 4 HPFPs replaced... those cars have been on the CPO lots! Wow. If you aren't an owner - be very careful before buying a car with the N54 engine. It is flawed, it is unreliable, BMW doesn't have a fix and there are lots of supporters of the car who will try to convince you to buy.

Now, to be fair, I do want to state that prior to the HPFP problems I have had, I liked the car.

Last edited by sambb; 11-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 330i
ha....I never liked the 1 series anyway.

It is priced way too high!

For an obvious entry level car is has the same options and offerings that the roomier 3 series will give you for basically the same price and for iit's tiny size the 135 and 128 also has EXACTLY the same MPG ratings as the 528 and 535!!!!

That is like a saying the entry level Toyota Yaris gets the same MPG as a Toyota Avalon or Highlander and cost as much as a Toyota Camry! WTF?!

So I never got what the hell the point was for BMW introducing them in the USA market anyway.

In Europe, the 1 series is and always has been an entry level, cheap, fun to drive and fuel efficent BMW. The European platforms for the 1 was already a success by offering a solid car to an low budget consumer who would eventually fall in love with the brand and buy a 3 series or 5 series later on in their life.

Beefing up the engines and the price of the 1 series for the very gullible USA market made absolutely no sense to me! Other than to confuse parents trying to decide whether to get a 328i or 128i for their college bound kids.

But I'm sure BMW has already made their money selling this tiny expensive so called "sporty" gas guzzler to misguided enthusiasts so why should they even care what happens after the car leaves their lot?

The only people that would buy that most likely have enough money to not be bothered that much by it anyways.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-28-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
They have tried five iterations without any success.
Just wanted to add a slight update to the article. There are now 7 iterations of the HPFP -

1. 1351 7 537 320 HPFP
2. 1351 7 585 655 HPFP
3. 1351 7 592 881 HPFP
4. 1351 7 596 123 HPFP
5. 1351 7 594 943 HPFP
6. 1351 7 613 933 HPFP
7. xxxx x xxx 402 HPFP
Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Bon Vivant!

Unfortunately the 1-series isn't a bit true or faithful to the original wonderful 2002. As I've said before, I bought a new one in 1970 and drove it for 10 year. I sold it to a dentist in DC for $5K or a thousand more than I paid for it. The engine was as good as new not using a bit of oil but the transmission was toast!

The problem with the new car is it's too expensive and heavy. Its proportions are generally a good modern interpretation of the old car, so that's something in its favor. However, the styling is some what cluttered looking and could be cleaned up.

Let's get to the real issue with this car. The 6-cylinder engine besides it HPFP issues is a bad choice for this body style. First it's too heavy making the car nose heavy. Next it protrudes into the passenger compartment severely limiting interior room. BMW has made some of the very best 4-cylinder engines on the planet, and they produced prodigious amounts of power without forced induction (FI). I'm not against turbos or superchargers if they can demonstrate a history of reliability.

BMW needs to rethink this car. I'd suggest they design a 2.0L engine and try to place it so the weight is better distributed. A tubo is a possibility assuming the company could get it right? BTW, the Japanese & Asians have been criticized for not having cutting edge technology. I suggest BMW and teh rest of you nay sayers take a look at the Hyundai 2.0L Turbo that puts out 274HP! I drove one recently and all I can say is, "Wow!"
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Let's get to the real issue with this car. The 6-cylinder engine besides it HPFP issues is a bad choice for this body style. First it's too heavy making the car nose heavy...

BMW needs to rethink this car. I'd suggest they design a 2.0L engine and try to place it so the weight is better distributed.
This thread is rife with examples of your failure to do basic research so that facts can inform your assertions. If you're going to continue trolling, try not to make your misrepresentations so apparent. Also noted is that at every point that fact has trumped your assertion, you've failed to respond, acknowledge or incorporate; you simply leapfrog to another lilypad. Obvious troll is obvious.

The 135i has between 51.6/48.4% and 51.9/48.1% weight distribution for manual and automatic transmissions, respectively. Do explain -- using physical laws, not your bullsh!t -- how that ratio is "nose-heavy".

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Bon Vivant!

I generally don't respond to ineptnesss like yours; however, I'll make an exception this time. I have clearly stated and backed up everything mentioned. There isn't any doubts about the facts, and many others who aren't so biased as yourself have underlined them.

I remember my 2002 being a wonderful car except for the miserable transmission. Every maker at that time made a decent problem free transmission except BMW. I have followed the history of the company over the years, and I have noticed similar problems with other models. It's almost like the company feels that at some point determined by them, they have put enough effort into their products, and the consumer should be grateful for whatever they make regardless of future problems.

I think BMW should start developing some humility and lose their arrogant attitude which is displayed in spades at their dealership especially in the service department. You can say whatever you like about the Asians, but it's clear they work very hard for customer goodwill constantly strive to provide the consumer with the best quality and reliability in their products. Even the recent troubles at Toyota demonstrated how hard the company worked to regain customer loyalty.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 128i
i was told by a mechanic awhen i took mines for service that it was the 87 octane fuel after a while it takes a toll on the car, which in some causes causes the car to stall
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 DSB 128i
Best Resale Value Luxury Brand for the 2011 model year by Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com has been won by the BMW brand.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
the 1 series is a piece of crap.

fuel pumps are the least of her problems.

The car doesn't have 1 decent seal on it.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
If any mods are listening, please lock this thread. It really is serving no purpose!
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
If any mods are listening, please lock this thread. It really is serving no purpose!
But I like stepping on the trolls...