Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Autounlock feature lookup table (Peake,Carsoft,Easy-DIS,GTI,INPA,EDIABAS)

I'm confused. I'm sure others are too.

What software can set and unset the autolock feature of the BMW E39?

I'll embarrass myself by making a stab at which programs can set and unset E39 automatic doorlocks (please correct my errors!) and I will add corrections as they come in (EDIT: Here was a great correction.)

KEY:
NO = Does not set or unset BMW automatic door lock features
YES = Does set and unset BMW automatic door lock features

SUMMARY:
YES: GT1, Progman, Easy-DIS v44 only, NCS Expert, INPA, Carsoft (v7.x & v8.x only)
NO: Peake, Carsoft v6.x, Easy-DIS versions after v44

Recommended:
~$250: Carsoft, version 7.x & 8.x, CarsoftInternational (not earlier versions)
~$500: GT1, version DIS SSS?, BMW group tester 1
~$???: Progman, v?, seems to have superceded Easy-DIS

Not Recommended:
~$???: NCSExpert, version?, by from ?, not user friendly
~$450: INPA, version 2006?, buy from ?, not user friendly
~$???: Easy-DIS v44 only (later versions do not unset autolock), seems to have been superceded by Progman

Note: I'm not sure I know what these "things" are, and some look like a subset of the others (which shows my ignorance); so a short explanation of each would also be useful from someone who knows what they are.

Note: EDIABAS is the communication protocol used by Easy-DIS & GT1 & INPA for diagnostics/programming but is not actually a program. But using the EDIABAS protocol allows for any type of coding/programming to occur.

Note: Carsoft 6.x does actually program the car memory - it just doesn't code the key hence where problems arise for many. The only memory settings available for the key pertains to the Central locking.

Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to 'debate' the merits of WHY anyone would want to set or unset any particular feature which already exists aplenty elsewhere (1) (2) (3).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carsoft.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	255098   Click image for larger version

Name:	ediabas.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	255099   Click image for larger version

Name:	gt1.gif
Views:	462
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	255100   Click image for larger version

Name:	inpa.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	255101  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-18-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I will update the table in this first post as new information comes in so that we have a comprehensive list (if possible).
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I highly recommend going through the parked threads in the Diagnostic Software forum on the other site. By following the instructions (+computer skills) I have INPA, DIS, NCSExpert, amd Progman running with an ODBII interface for about a $25 investment.

I have since used my setup to install and code an ABS module.

2003 525i 5spd/PP/SP/CWP/Xenons/Sapphire/Black
CDV Delete
Dice Silverline
TCU Bluetooth
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterdog View Post
I have INPA, DIS, NCSExpert, amd Progman
This doesn't answer the question but it does give some new software to consider. So, I added these names (previously unknown to me) to the table in the first post so we have a more comprehensive list

The member "aca84" kindly provided some input in this post, which I reproduce below and will add to the table in post #1 above so we can grow our combined knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca84 View Post
GT1, Progman, NCS, INPA and Easy-DIS programs will all be able to code the door locks. NCS/INPA aren't very user friendly hence GT1/Easy-DIS/Progman should be used. EDIABAS is the communication protocol used by Easy-DIS/GT1/INPA for diagnostics/programming but is not actually a program. But using that protocol allows for any type of coding/programming to occur.

Carsoft does actually program the car memory - it just doesn't code the key hence where problems arise for many. The only memory settings available for the key pertains to the Central locking.

The version of Easy-DIS that I use is v44. Later versions apparently don't allow for any coding - Progman seems to have superseded DIS.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
I highly recommend going through the parked threads in the Diagnostic Software forum on the other site. By following the instructions (+computer skills) I have INPA, DIS, NCSExpert, amd Progman running with an ODBII interface for about a $25 investment.
Do you have a direct link to the interface one should get for about $25 to use these programs?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Do you have a direct link to the interface one should get for about $25 to use these programs?
This thread will show you how. I found one with the RL chip and only needed to solder 7-8 on the connector. This cable only works for cars with an ODBII port. To code/program with DIS the it needs to be modified further to allow Battery/Ignition detect (read the whole thread). NCSExpert can be used to code without Battery/Ignition detect.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1505990

CDV Delete
Dice Silverline
TCU Bluetooth
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
This thread will show you how. I found one with the RL chip and only needed to solder 7-8 on the connector. This cable only works for cars with an ODBII port. To code/program with DIS the it needs to be modified further to allow Battery/Ignition detect (read the whole thread). NCSExpert can be used to code without Battery/Ignition detect.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1505990
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Wandered into the Diagnostic forum and got overwhelmed by the various options. This link is a good place to start.

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Wandered into the Diagnostic forum and got overwhelmed by the various options. This link is a good place to start.

Thanks again!
This is the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I am not skilled enough with a soldering iron to do the transistor mod. I just got another interface from Germany that should allow full programming with DIS.

I was overwhelmed as well and but stuck with it and got things installed after a few evenings of working on it. The first step is INPA which installs right on windows. After that the VM installs for EasyDIS and Progman are a bit trickier.

CDV Delete
Dice Silverline
TCU Bluetooth

Last edited by nutterdog; 11-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
This is the one I bought

I am not skilled enough with a soldering iron to do the transistor mod. I just got another interface from Germany that should allow full programming with DIS.

I was overwhelmed as well and but stuck with it and got things installed after a few evenings of working on it. The first step is INPA which installs right on windows. After that the VM installs for EasyDIS and Progman are a bit trickier.
Wow! Thanks for this too. I'm good with a soldering iron so the transistor mod shouldn't be and issue. (once I figure out what the transistor mod is ).

Wonder if this is the same as the Ebay one?

Last edited by dvsgene; 11-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 530i
Quote:
This is the one I bought

Nutterdog, I too had to spend quite a bit of time getting Easy-DIS working. I initially tried to using the Carsoft interface to get INPA/Easy-DIS working, but wasn't successful. Apparently computers such as certain DELL models are finicky with this. Nevertheless, the instructions remain the same whether one is able to use the Carsoft interface or the dedicated EDIABAS cables.

The cable I use is similar to the picture attached below. There are many sellers selling these on ebay (search for EDIABAS cable).

For those without a 16pin OBDII port, most sellers include the 20pin to OBDII converter also which should work. Of course, the above cables need to be used on a computer with an RS232 (serial) port.

There are many threads dedicated to installing/troubleshooting programs. As far as installing Easy-DIS is concerned, the only 3 sources I had to use (in the end :P) were:

1. Installing INPA

2. Install Easy-DIS

3. Search for user DavidMC's READ THIS FIRST document <-- most invaluable!

Bluebee, also although it's true that later versions of Easy-DIS cannot perform programming/coding, I'm not sure of the exact versions. What I do know is that v44 was easily located and seems to be the most popular version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!B4+5dv!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKk!EyRj-U9sUBMr9IsH-uw~~_35.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	255247  

Last edited by aca84; 11-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM

For the record, since it's related, but not obvious, it appears a 120 ohm resistor in the DME may have something to do with a disabled auto-doorlock feature.

Details here.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 AM

Today, someone asked what Carsoft can do (over here in the OBDII freeware thread) so I pointed him to the VERY best of E39 Links but the Carsoft threads weren't easy to find in the VERY best of E39 Links ...

So I just now added the following to help others (as always):

- Description of Carsoft, GT1, INPA, DIS, EDIABAS, & Peake (1) & which can modify the auto-lock car door feature (1) & what does Carsoft do anyway (1) (2) (3) (4)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: r53
Hi,

Where can I download INPA and Easy-DIS>?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gta18 View Post
Hi,

Where can I download INPA and Easy-DIS>?

Thanks!
Look here.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

You will find lots of links to INPA and EasyDIS downloads as well as guides for install and use.

One download site with excellent instructions
http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/7...ng.html?rnd=93
password is wilma82

Regards
RDL

Last edited by rdl; 01-27-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added download site
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 PM

For the record, I just found out about the "Launch X-431" from this thread:
- E39 Steereing Angle Sensor HELP

Specifically the information was related to the steering angle sensor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
It is possible to realign the steering angle sensor with a scanner other than the GT-1. I have done this many times with my Launch X-431
But, maybe, just maybe, this "Launch X-431" can set the auto-unlock feature of the BMW E39?

Anyone know?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I will check today. I am pretty sure though that it won't, since the auto-lock is controlled by the general module. I am pretty sure my scanner cannot go that deep into the electronics.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 PM

I just got back from work. It seems that my scanner can program the auto lock, daytime running lights, alarm options, high beams with fogs, etc on my 530i. I can do a whole lot of things like keeping the radio light up with the time even if the radio is off. Another option I found interesting was turning on the low beams when the car is unlocked in the dark to help you find your car and aid in visibility. It will only work with cars that have automatic lights and a light sensor on the windshield.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
my scanner can program the auto lock
Woo hoo! We have a (another) winner!

Thanks for performing that test.

It's nice when a thread is complete and consistent!

Now we can go to an Indy and ask if they have the scanners that we know can program the auto-unlock auto-lock feature to have it programmed the way we want!

PS: I absolutely HATE that auto-lock feature. Every time it locks on me, I say to myself "Jeez Louise! ... Where does BMW think I live? In the middle of a war zone?". I can't stand that 'feature'; yet I'll be darned if I'll pay the dealer just to reset it. I'd rather buy a tool (if it's around the same price); or find an Indy to do it for me (but my car hasn't ever been to an Indy and hasn't been to the dealer since they ripped me off years ago).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	launch_x431.png
Views:	3956
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	272908  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39
So the $25 usb cable to obd2 can code bmw modules like the LKM and ABS? Im so confused now..

Jimmy what would you recommend for a a serious DIY'er? My main concern is being able to code the modules and be able to program other BMW specific features like auto locks?
Key programming would need another device totally CORRECT??
86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
00 540is 6spd 214k (daily driver) Timing chain guides just failed. In the middle of a full rebuild instead of repair. I wonder how much longer it would of gone if i just repaired it.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
So the $25 usb cable to obd2 can code bmw modules like the LKM and ABS? Im so confused now..

Jimmy what would you recommend for a a serious DIY'er? My main concern is being able to code the modules and be able to program other BMW specific features like auto locks?
If you want DIY software for BMW try this forum
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233
You will find help on software to do coding & programming; not diagnostics only.

This thread will help clarify some of the options
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1391667

Regards
RDL
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
If you want DIY software for BMW
I'm almost to the point of 'trying' those recommended sofware methods!
- Diagnostic Software (DIS, INPA, EDIABAS, IBUS, CANBUS, CARSOFT)

Just to summarize, here's where I think we are on this quest:

KEY:
YES = The tool will set and unset the BMW automatic door lock feature.
NO = The tool will not set or unset the BMW automatic door lock feature.

Note: It appears most USB-to-serial adapters don't work; but I'm told (via a PM) that the "Keyspan US19H" works well (with INPA at least).

SUMMARY:
YES: GT1, Progman, Easy-DIS v44 only, NCS Expert, INPA, Carsoft (v7.x & v8.x only), Launch X431

Less expensive:
~$450: INPA, version 2006?, buy from ?, not user friendly (INPA codes the VIN kind of stuff more so than Carsoft)

More expensive:
~$3,000 Launch X-431
~$???: NCSExpert, version?, by from ?, not user friendly (I'm told it has a steep learning curve!)
~$???: Easy-DIS v44 only (later versions do not unset autolock), seems to have been superceded by Progman

Last edited by bluebee; 04-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 PM

OK After 2 hours of reading, I think ive come to the conclusion that this is the way to go if i want to be able to code new parts such as an ABS or Light control module.
Am i correct?????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...motiveQ5fTools
00 540is 6spd 214k (daily driver) Timing chain guides just failed. In the middle of a full rebuild instead of repair. I wonder how much longer it would of gone if i just repaired it.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I'm almost to the point of 'trying' those recommended sofware methods!

Just to summarize, here's where I think we are on this quest:

KEY:
YES = The tool will set and unset the BMW automatic door lock feature.
NO = The tool will not set or unset the BMW automatic door lock feature.

SUMMARY:
YES: GT1, Progman, Easy-DIS v44 only, NCS Expert, INPA, Carsoft (v7.x & v8.x only), Launch X431

Recommended:
~$3,000 Launch X-431

Not Recommended:
~$???: NCSExpert, version?, by from ?, not user friendly
~$450: INPA, version 2006?, buy from ?, not user friendly

At ~$3,000, we probably have to put the Launch X-431 on the "recommended but very expensive list".
I can elaborate a bit on some of the software listed above. Everything listed below is BMW software, none is aftermarket by 3rd party.

EDIBAS is BMW's interface language to its modules, some call it an API. All the application programs below use EDIBAS to talk to the various car modules; except for ISTA where I don't know. EDIBAS isn't run directly; it does have to have it on the computer so application programs have it's instructions available.

In BMW speak, "programming" as a noun is the set of instructions stored in a module to give it functionality. Programming as a verb refers to loading a more recent version into a module as BMW releases them rather than actually writing instructions to tell a module how to perform. "Coding" is setting the options that the programming in a module will recognize & permit, i.e. options available in a module. For example: turn on/off daytime running lights, setting "Car and Key Programming" options (which is misnamed in strict BMW speak.) The door lock feature mentioned in Bluebee's post is turned on/off by coding.

All the applications below are available free as internet downloads, except ISTA.
All cover every BMW model sold up to the the release date of the version, or at least those with electonic modules. So the E39 is covered by all applications. All will work with the round 20 pin engine bay plug as well as the OBD II plug. All will address every module in the car; most aftermarket applications skip several or many.

GT1 is a hardware/software bundle for BMW dealers. The s/w was DIS / Progman.
SSS is the h/w s/w bundle that superceeded GT1. Confusingly, also the name of software that replaced DIS/Progman.

DIS
BMW dealer software. It is user friendly. It will do diagnostics, read modules for version, read modules for DTCs, activate function tests, display live data, propose and step through tests to isolate faults for a DTC. Up to V44 DIS would also do coding & programming.
YES to the door lock feature.
With V45, DIS became the diagnostic module only. Progman became the module used for coding & programing, but confusingly the version numbers start in the low 30s, while DIS version continued upward from 44. Each new version would contain revised module programs. YES to the door lock feature.

SSS
Superceed DIS & Progman - same functionality but improved user interface. Since it's a later version, any programming available will be later versions than available in DIS.

DIS, Progman & SSS run in UNIX & are tricky to install on Windows machines. There are very detailed step by step guides to help one through the maze.

ISTA
is the current BMW dealer software. Not available "in the wild"

EasyDIS
is DIS V44 modified to make the UNIX/Windows steps easier for installation.
I thought YES to the door lock feature but if Bluebee has better info, I defer to her.

INPA
is nice user friendly diagnostic module reader. It is dead easy to install in Windows. A good first program to get started. Will read module h/w and s/w version, read error memory (DTC / fault codes), clear errors. It will activate functions within modules to test them, e.g. command DME to turn auxillary fan on to check functionality. Will also display live data from car modules. But not as full featured as DIS diagnostics.
NO to the door lock feature.

NCS Expert
will read and write module coding only. Limited documentation available. Definitely not intuitive or user friendly; actually risky since you can code options that contradict one another and all the option statements are in German & German abreviations. Some people report they have "bricked" modules. A free program named "NCS Expert for Dummies", written by a power user named Revtor, is front end that translates options into English & helps create the input file and provides the best explanation of how to use NCS Expert. Oops, Revtor is 3rd party.

Regards
RDL

Last edited by rdl; 04-02-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
OK After 2 hours of reading, I think ive come to the conclusion that this is the way to go if i want to be able to code new parts such as an ABS or Light control module.
Am i correct?????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...motiveQ5fTools
I'm afraid not. You will need the cable. And INPA is useful for reading modules but will not code modules to the car or change coding in modules already installed.

My post above has some explanation.

Regards
RDL
Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 AM

Is there a kit that comes with everything i need?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't know what to recommend. I have had the same question about 2 years ago, and the search narrowed down between the GT1 and the Launch. At the time, the GT1 cost 2x more than the Launch and it only work with BMW. The Launch could do every car made, so I coughed up the $2500 + $500 for miscellaneous bits and pieces that were BMW specific and never looked back. If I need a GT1 for something that my scanner cannot do, I use my friend's, he will let me use it.

The ultimate scanner depends how much money you want to spend. If you want a nice scanner, you will have to spend a lot, but you will have a whole bunch of features that are very helpful in diagnosis like an oscilloscope, built in circuit tester, etc.