Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 723whp M3/M5/F30 335XI
Lightbulb differential swap 94 auto -> 92 stick

Hey, I recently crashed my 94 325i auto now I got a 92 325i stick... and since Im doing some suspension work I could swap the diff since 92 is lacking power at lower rpms.. Now i heard that autos have a higher ratio then stick for smother ride is that true? anyone knows what kind of ratios do 94 325i auto and 92 325i manual have?

--
Thanks
Tom
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 325is
Hey. I had a forum with this same question. People will advise you against this because its nearly a 25% increase in gearing. But that also means a 25% increase in torque. Sounds nice. During highway use you will be seeing 3750 rpms at 70 mph. I think thats the number. Just multiply what you run now in 5th gear by 25%. The fifth gear is 1:1 so you can do that. The auto ratio is 3.91 and manual is 3.15. If you are intersted in performance and don't mind buzzing a bit on the highway its the way to go. Might want a LSD. I did it and love it. You may have to upgrade to the ZF tranny from an M type sooner or later with that torque. So there is another 550 bucks. I've done this and I don't regret it. There are others that have decided to do this with M3's and opted for the 6-speed. Prolly around $3000 for that. I haven't done that.