Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 xDrive35i
All-Season Tires in the Snow? (NY)

I have an X6, but this I thought this would get some more traffic in the X5 forum and the thread should apply to the X5 as well ...

I am looking for some feedback on how the OEM 19" Michelin Latitude all-season tires are in snowy conditions.

I am thinking about picking up a set of OEM 19" X6 wheels but they come with the OEM all-season tires, not snow tires ... I've always used dedicated snows in the winter ... I just don't know how these will perform.

Also, I am in NY ... so it's not like there is a blizzard every week.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
A majority of drivers out there do just fine with all season tires and 2WD cars. If you are driving a 2+ ton vehicle with 4WD, you'll be fine.

I've always driven with dedicated snows, but that's becuase I've always had summer tires on during the summer. I wouldn't worry about all-seasons.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
notfastenough

Mein Auto: BMW 325 ci
Post Should Be OK but...

With AWD, you should be fine with all seasons. If, however, you have a vehicle with rear wheel drive only, every piece of advice I've received was to go with dedicated snows only. This advice came from a BMW dealer, a shop that deals with German performance cars only and a rep from Tire Rack. We just dropped back to 2 cars, selling a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we used when snow or sleet came. My wife has an '08 335 with performance tires so this summer I bought a couple of identical BMW wheels and had them fitted with snows. Haven't used them yet this season, but again the advice I received was do NOT rely on all seasons with rear wheel drive but will be fine with AWD. I hope so, as I just took delivery of an '11 X5 35d with the 19" all seasons. The reason I didn't go with 20's was because they are only available in summer performance. I'm inclined to believe that as I traded an '04 Audi A8L which when the OEM performance tires wore out, switched to Pirelli all seasons and the car absolutely plowed through the max 2-3 inch snows we get occasionally here in St. Louis
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '12 328iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
I have an X6, but this I thought this would get some more traffic in the X5 forum and the thread should apply to the X5 as well ...

I am looking for some feedback on how the OEM 19" Michelin Latitude all-season tires are in snowy conditions.

I am thinking about picking up a set of OEM 19" X6 wheels but they come with the OEM all-season tires, not snow tires ... I've always used dedicated snows in the winter ... I just don't know how these will perform.

The question is how well you want to stop on nasty roads.
'06 M3C (Jet Black)
'06 530xiT (Titanium Gray)
'03 325xiT (Topaz)
'02 330i sport (Jet Black)
'01 330i (Jet Black)
'01 Z3 (Topaz)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: GX470
I just got notice from Rallye BMW, my BMW X5 went into production today. Also, I noticed there was an error, because I ordered 19" wheels w/all season tires, but my salesman forgot to change it from the 20" wheels. Now, I don't know what to do with the wheels. Should I just buy new all season tires for the 20" wheels?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
I just got notice from Rallye BMW, my BMW X5 went into production today. Also, I noticed there was an error, because I ordered 19" wheels w/all season tires, but my salesman forgot to change it from the 20" wheels. Now, I don't know what to do with the wheels. Should I just buy new all season tires for the 20" wheels?

What does the salesman propose to do about his error?

20" rims will limit you choice in tires and cost you more money..and perform a bit worse that 19"... why should YOU bear the cost and hassle of their error?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: GX470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What does the salesman propose to do about his error?

20" rims will limit you choice in tires and cost you more money..and perform a bit worse that 19"... why should YOU bear the cost and hassle of their error?
I know the 20" wheels look a lot nicer but I do live in NY. So, even though I wanted the 20" wheels, I decided the best thing would be to get the 19" wheels with all season tires. My salesman said he could try to switch them out with another car when my X5 comes into the dealership. So, my salesman said just think it over and let us know. I say I got around 3 weeks until the car is in the dealership.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
I know the 20" wheels look a lot nicer but I do live in NY. So, even though I wanted the 20" wheels, I decided the best thing would be to get the 19" wheels with all season tires. My salesman said he could try to switch them out with another car when my X5 comes into the dealership. So, my salesman said just think it over and let us know. I say I got around 3 weeks until the car is in the dealership.
There seems to be this silly "group think" that is driving all cars to a grotesque styling extreme of "all rims, no rubber"... kind of like tail light fins in the 40s and 50s...

Combine that with posers running puny rotors and calipers and it is a laughable styling cue IMO.

What began as a legitimate quest to optimize brake rotor size and rim size, has turned into simply a "visual" feature... folks upsize rims to stupid dimensions and gain nothing for it with stock brakes.

For me, form follows function- give me an SUV with rubber and ground clearance. Give me a rim that allows the tire to maintain a contact patch... do not buy into the 'bigger rims look better or are better' fallacy.

Just MHO

A

PS just put some 75 profiles on my truck...now THAT'S rubber!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Winter tires if you want to stop, turn, and maximise the vehicle's capabilities. BMW tests and calibrates their vehicles' snow dynamics with snow tires, not all-seasons.

I'm in the camp that believes that M+S tires are a compromise on all fronts. They can do many things but excel at none.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter

check out the comparison video between all season and winter tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post

Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
There seems to be this silly "group think" that is driving all cars to a grotesque styling extreme of "all rims, no rubber"...
Combine that with posers running puny rotors and calipers and it is a laughable styling cue IMO.

For me, form follows function- give me an SUV with rubber and ground clearance. Give me a rim that allows the tire to maintain a contact patch... do not buy into the 'bigger rims look better or are better' fallacy.!
Well, I have to agree with ARD.

I will admit that it was the looks of my X5 sitting on 20" that sold it to me.
The driving experience of an SUV (BMW can call it what they want) on sport suspension, and wheels around town is awful.
Driven fast like a sports car, it will handle, but I don't do that, that often.

Now I'm driving on 18" winters, and the car is fantastic, but it looks like crap.
I'm gonna try the non RFTs in summer, I've bought a spare already, but if that does not improve the drivability, I will swap out the 20" for 19 " in the summer.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
The conti DWS is a pretty good trade off.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Winter tires if you want to stop, turn, and maximise the vehicle's capabilities. BMW tests and calibrates their vehicles' snow dynamics with snow tires, not all-seasons.

I'm in the camp that believes that M+S tires are a compromise on all fronts. They can do many things but excel at none.
absolutely correct. all seasons and summer tires turn into hockey pucks below 7degreesC. you will lose grip significantly as the temperature goes down and AWD will do nothing for you when you want to stop.