Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Post 8 Facts from the X3 F25 Owner's Manual

So I've been looking over the owner's manual for the new F25. Couple things of note:

1. Obviously the X3, being newer, is based on the latest tech from the 5er and 7er. So it's no longer playing catch-up in features and technology (makes the X5 look outdated).

2. Like I said previously, two different instrument panels. Vehicles with Professional Nav get the expanded electronic display in the tachometer and song/artist display in the centre bottom of the instrument panel.

3. Like the 5er, no place to put your key on the dash. Leave it in your pocket.

4. Start-stop automatic is clever, it's amazing how they made it work with the AT as well. Not applicable to North American models.

5. With just a 5 litre washer fluid reserve, folks with headlamp washers are going to have to carry a bottle of the stuff in the trunk during the winter. (6,5 litres in the current X3)

6. They should have just offered the one-zone climate control as standard, as it's more logical and easy to use for Americans. But the rest of the controls are just like every other BMW.

7. Driving Dynamic Control configured just like that in the 5er.

8. No corona rings without xenon option. Parking light (non-NA models) is just like the X1, embedded in the highbeam.

For towing capacities, send me a PM since the description specs are lengthy.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-18-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Where did you get the manual from?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
So I've been looking over the owner's manual for the new F25. Couple things of note:

3. Like the 5er, no place to put your key on the dash. Leave it in your pocket.
Comfort Access isn't standard, so there must be a place for those folks who don't order it.

Second ED ???
Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Comfort Access isn't standard, so there must be a place for those folks who don't order it.
Wrong. Look at the 5er thread. There is no longer a place to stick the key in the dash or steering column like the current 3er or X5. And unlike the 5er, the owner's manual makes no mention of a key holder in the cupholder. This is true regardless of whether or not Comfort Access is ordered.

I have the PDF file of the X3 in German. PM me with an email address if you want a copy.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
You don't need CA for keyless starting in the F10 or the F25.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
You don't need CA for keyless starting in the F10 or the F25.
Ok wow, I didn't know. When you look at the configurator on bmwusa the CA option says "you can also turn the engine on or off by pressing the Start/Stop button without first inserting the remote key". This obviously leads to the conclusion that without CA you must first insert the key.

I'm not surprised at all if bmw has the wrong information, it's sort of sad that most people on here are more knowledgable than 90% of bmw sales / marketing staff.

Second ED ???
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Ok wow, I didn't know. When you look at the configurator on bmwusa the CA option says "you can also turn the engine on or off by pressing the Start/Stop button without first inserting the remote key". This obviously leads to the conclusion that without CA you must first insert the key.

I'm not surprised at all if bmw has the wrong information, it's sort of sad that most people on here are more knowledgable than 90% of bmw sales / marketing staff.
He's right. I saw the facebook live show. Keyless start is standard. Comfort Access is only for being able to touch the door handle without pulling the key from your pocket (Access).

I definitely would have skipped that had they not squeezed it in with other good stuff.

One good note is I did notice there is a hidden hard key in the key remote. I mentioned it would become interesting if there was no key because some places (near the Israeli embassy in DC for example) the remote won't work. There is some kind of force field blocker (I guess to prevent remote bombs). I was visiting a nearby embassy and had to use my key to lock and unlock the door.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM

I think Americans would hate Start/Stop. It's one thing to have it at traffic lights to save money but at stop signs? That would get on our nerves.

I'm sure they will come up with one where it only goes off if the brake is on for 7 seconds or something. At least let it be a long stop sign...not one where you are by yourself with no traffic. lol
Old 11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I think Americans would hate Start/Stop. It's one thing to have it at traffic lights to save money but at stop signs? That would get on our nerves.

I'm sure they will come up with one where it only goes off if the brake is on for 7 seconds or something. At least let it be a long stop sign...not one where you are by yourself with no traffic. lol
There are specific instructions in the manual how to override the Auto Start-Stop, and there are many conditions that must be fulfilled for it to kick in.

First off, although the Auto Start-stop is on by default every start up, there is a button next to the start button (A) that disables it. There's like, 15 instances where the system will not cut the ignition automatically. For instance, it can recognise stop-and-go traffic and does not activate until a speed of 9km/h (5 km/h in MT) is reached.

Without going into huge detail because it's NOT on US and Canadian models, the function works only when:
1. Gear selector in D.
2. Brake pedal is held or Auto H is holding the vehicle.
3. Driver's seatbelt or driver's door remains closed.

To avoid the system activating, either hit the button, or:
1. After the vehicle has come to a halt, quickly strongly push the brake pedal hard. (Essentially, a quick strong pulse to the pedal) The system will not cut the throttle.

There's a lot of safety features and explanation built into the system. It's 2 pages long in the owner's manual. But I can see how with an AT, some American will manage to come up with a lawsuit blaming the car for unintended whatever.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-18-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
And they probably would be right given the problems with electronics that are not unknown throughout the industry. Witness the wonderful '07+ Automatic transmission software, unexplained fires in X3 and GL's etc.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-19-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There are specific instructions in the manual how to override the Auto Start-Stop, and there are many conditions that must be fulfilled for it to kick in.

First off, although the Auto Start-stop is on by default every start up, there is a button next to the start button (A) that disables it. There's like, 15 instances where the system will not cut the ignition automatically. For instance, it can recognise stop-and-go traffic and does not activate until a speed of 9km/h (5 km/h in MT) is reached.

Without going into huge detail because it's NOT on US and Canadian models, the function works only when:
1. Gear selector in D.
2. Brake pedal is held or Auto H is holding the vehicle.
3. Driver's seatbelt or driver's door remains closed.

To avoid the system activating, either hit the button, or:
1. After the vehicle has come to a halt, quickly strongly push the brake pedal hard. (Essentially, a quick strong pulse to the pedal) The system will not cut the throttle.

There's a lot of safety features and explanation built into the system. It's 2 pages long in the owner's manual. But I can see how with an AT, some American will manage to come up with a lawsuit blaming the car for unintended whatever.
I don't want auto start stop. Maybe they could put a button on the steering wheel (if the start up is quicker than the normal button) where we could choose when to turn it off and back on quickly. If there is no difference in the time it takes to start, then I guess one could push the on off button. Right now, someone wouldn't try it because one would have to turn the key, wait for it to start, then put it into drive then go...(while not having a nervous breakdown from all the honking you will hear). That's too slow. If you could keep it in drive and just push a button...maybe...but people would mess that up and kill someone.

You know there were lots of accidents before we required that the neutral gear be positioned between the reverse and drive gears. Sometimes people are off by one. lol I can't imagine people manually controlling the start stop. I change my mind about the button.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

I have been shutting off the engine at long stops for a few years now in both the X3 and the 325i when the appropriate conditions are met. It requires paying attention to the lights but that's fine, because I mostly drive alone and have a habit of paying attention to the road anyway. In Germany, Finland, and the UK, there is an additional brief red+yellow before the light turns green, also allowing for a bit of preparation.

The start/stop on modern cars works seamlessly and is fairly common on both BMWs non-BMWs in Europe with the MT, and has been for about 3 years now. It's just the first time BMW has made it with an AT. On the AT, the engine will immediately restart once the brake pedal is released and the throttle is depressed. On the MT, the engine automatically restarts when the clutch is pressed. The response from the starter is immediate; I have used and experienced it since 2008 in the 118i and also the Mini in Germany.

And like I mentioned, there is a prominent button to deactivate the feature. Kinda like DSC, you can turn it off if you want.

(MT with Shift Point Display shown)

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-19-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I have been shutting off the engine at long stops for a few years now in both the X3 and the 325i when the appropriate conditions are met. It requires paying attention to the lights but that's fine, because I mostly drive alone and have a habit of paying attention to the road anyway. In Germany, Finland, and the UK, there is an additional brief red+yellow before the light turns green, also allowing for a bit of preparation.

The start/stop on modern cars works seamlessly and is fairly common on both BMWs non-BMWs in Europe with the MT, and has been for about 3 years now. It's just the first time BMW has made it with an AT. On the AT, the engine will immediately restart once the brake pedal is released and the throttle is depressed. On the MT, the engine automatically restarts when the clutch is pressed. The response from the starter is immediate; I have used and experienced it since 2008 in the 118i and also the Mini in Germany.

And like I mentioned, there is a prominent button to deactivate the feature. Kinda like DSC, you can turn it off if you want.

(MT with Shift Point Display shown)
Cool. Yeah...I see no problem then ...since we can turn it off. I wouldn't mind traffic lights...just not stop signs. How about at a crosswalk? lol Someone scurrys by and now you have to wait for Rrrmmm.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM

BTW...I heard the reasoning for not offering it on American cars is it costs something to do it and then the US was not giving mileage credit for having it whereas the Europeans were giving mileage increases (or emissions credit) for having the feature. They would not be able to make the statement, "Saves you gas" in the US without controversy. If that changes, I'm sure they will add it.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 74 2002, 87 325IS
Last week went on the BMW M Power Tour and the 2011 M3 had the engine start stop system. There was a button on the dash that glowed when not activated. When activated the car engine would shut off at stop signs if you held the brake on for 4 seconds. When you took your foot off the brake the engine started which was almost instantanuous with the V 8 engine.
It was also my first time driving a 7 speed DCT, what a blast with so many levels of sport control. Damn wish I could afford one
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
This thread is funny. Kudos.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post

One good note is I did notice there is a hidden hard key in the key remote. I mentioned it would become interesting if there was no key because some places (near the Israeli embassy in DC for example) the remote won't work. There is some kind of force field blocker (I guess to prevent remote bombs). I was visiting a nearby embassy and had to use my key to lock and unlock the door.
Glad that exists since there are a couple of places around town here as well that the remote does not work. I almost called BMW Assist the first time it happened until I remembered there is a keyhole on the door of my 05 X3.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

On the topic of keys, the X3 is similar to the 5er. In case the battery dies, there is a region next to the steering column for key recognition.

A nice feature addition on the key fob is the ability to switch on Pathway lighting via the rhombus button on the keyfob itself. So now as the owner approaches the vehicle in the dark, he/she can switch on the dipped beam headlights to light the way. (On older BMWs, you could only switch them on via the turn signal stalk)