Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I think it's BS. Mine is a parrot mic. The banana mic plugs for all mics are universal. Think of buying a mic for your PC (obsolete now, but just as an example) - nobody will say it will fit a Presario only or a Dell.
Also, for all of you who want a Hualigan, I was lucky with my unit, but the customer support from the main vendor (China) is horrible. They refused supprting their resellers/distributors. These guys were left hanging with broken units they changed out from their customers. It's a different approach from Dynavin, who listened to their distributors/resellers and helped them out.
Check out this link
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw e46, 320Ci, 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I think it's BS. Mine is a parrot mic. The banana mic plugs for all mics are universal. Think of buying a mic for your PC (obsolete now, but just as an example) - nobody will say it will fit a Presario only or a Dell.
Also, for all of you who want a Hualigan, I was lucky with my unit, but the customer support from the main vendor (China) is horrible. They refused supprting their resellers/distributors. These guys were left hanging with broken units they changed out from their customers. It's a different approach from Dynavin, who listened to their distributors/resellers and helped them out.
Check out this link

Thanks doru, i hope i can get a good experience with this item, Thanks for the link, now i am worried a little bit. I have a question about the bimp sound, is it not possible at all to mute the BImP sound ??? Do u know that ore anyone els....
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM

You mean the beep when you touch the screen?
If yes, I have not looked into it. Maybe you can, maybe you cannot remove the sound.
This does not bother me because to me it confirms the command.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Great thread doru! i am thinking of purchasing this unit next month. Just wondering is your unit the one with the two different style interface and has different key light colours? i can't seem to find any info or pictures on the two different interface layout
Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM

Yes on both counts.
Carsolutiondude moved his site and is not available anymore. The content of the forum is saved, and he will re-open the site. Not sure when, not sure if he will keep the same name, but once available, I can let you know. It has tons of info regarding the unit, including "how-to" with pics, downloadable content, etc.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
Great write up! where did you order this? Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Hi Doru,

Had one more question i just got this unit with post today, and i am going to buy parrot external mik too tomorrow...but had one question, what is that thing u have beetween, external mic, and the units mic:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/P1010375.jpg

thanks in advance....looking forward to install it on my e46

Is it right that their a maximum of how much the unit can handle about the SD card? max xx? u know anyhting..
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 PM

I used these connections: microphone, antenae, GPS and the I-bus.
Later I connected the MID and routed in the glovebox.

The max of the micro-SD cards is dictated by the size of the cards you buy.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
was it hard running the mic through the a pillar to the oem location

Love Life, Drive a Bimmer!!!!
BMWCCA 452058
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsin View Post
was it hard running the mic through the a pillar to the oem location
Coat hangers are great tools.........It's a snap if used right, really easy.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i, 5-speed
Great job! Does this unit work with BMW DSP system?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Thanks for the post! Very usefull info. Well done DIY.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van556 View Post
Great job! Does this unit work with BMW DSP system?
Yes, it does. The trick is to use a DSP "adapter". Contact member Fmugur - he knows about it and how to install it. If he's not on this forum, try the "other forum".
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
how much these units cost now ?
i saw some on ebay around 500
also some said sound quality is at the middle side

Last edited by champaign777; 06-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 AM

MOre info about The Unit

Hey Doru,

FInally i got this unit to, and ihave myself installed it in my bmw E46

Today i was testing it around, and just have some question, maybe u notice it..

I have also bought parrot external mic, thanks to u, since i read your advise, so i have also palced it good place in the car. But one problem ihave, how come i cant hear the other persons sound through my carspeaker? the other person, can hear my clearly ...and than i tested it with got my brother to call me, and while i was playing video clip., it came up incoming call but not so fast, than i try to click on pick up button, it wil not react, quite slow their....

Second thing, i think does this unit have build in memory, beacuse what is the app CDC? u know that? i though it was a function to copy music cd's to the unit, and it can have up to 6 cds, as i read someother places, do u know anything about this app? But i dont knw how...

U wrote also that u can change logo, if i put some picture on my SD card, how do u chose that pic to logo pic than? And which format should the pic have, jpeg, bmp e.ct? anyidea?

i know this unit is a little bit diffenrent in look, but heard it should be same as our one...and this one also have CDC function: Have a look:

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.dk/BMW-E46-...661848980/item

thanks..
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Trizmaster, I am not sure why you cannot hear the other person (Bluetooth). Either you have a bad unit, or there's a bad connection. In order to change the logo, and for all other questions, please contact member "Fooljam" on the other forum. He's in the UK, and was a reseller of these units. He had a Hualigan forum - "carsolutiondude.com", but he closed it. All the questions were answered there. He had very good DIY's for everything you asked me. I did not saved them, but he e-mailed me and told me he will reopen the site one day. In the meantime he saved all the posts in his forum. If I were you I would contact him from the other forum - pm him, I am sure he will help you out.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

Champaign777 - ebay is about the right place to look for this Hualingan and the other clone type units with varying names on them. I think some retailers in the USA get them still, but I'm not sure. If you do decide to purchase one of these, I'd say get it from one of the US retailers so you have some chance of recourse if something is wrong with the unit. Sound Quality is debateable, it's probably a bit better than oem equipment as the internal IC's and components are newer, but in no way are they comparable to high quality and reputable brands offerings and performance levels.

Trizmaster - There is no 'official' sales channel for these units, so there's really not much in the way of support. Have you purchased through a retailer within Denmark who perhaps will exchange/refund the unit? if so, speak to the place you purchased from. If you purchased from an Ebay seller, then ask for their advice and support, but I daresay you won't get much help there. Member doru above mentions one guy who tried to offer some sort of unofficial support for the UK market towards the latter stages of last year, but he's given up on that by the looks of things. If you do PM him, I'd guess that he'd not be able/want to offer help. The only real support you have is by scouring forms like this to see who's had issues or if there's any fixes. I'd say also to keep sending Hualingan email's to see if they'll support the unit, but I doubt that would happen either.

The last I heard from the last UK member who purchased one and has ongoing issues is that the CDC is a 'virtual' CD changer and the latest version of the head unit, the function works. You may have an older version so a firmware update from Hualingan might give you that functionality, if they respond to you. I have a feeling they wouldn't and as such you'd have to buy another unit that is the latest version. Same goes for the patchy Bluetooth issue, I believe performance on the latest versions is better. The item you link are from another unbranded chinese manufacturer, so you could take the chance and buy one of those to see if it's any better.

Good luck

Cheers, Dennis!

Last edited by DennisCooper!; 07-02-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM

thanks Dennis
i want some reputable brands with OEM look
what are my choices ?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Champain777

A few things are being worked on in my research lab!

but funding issues are preventing full speed so I'm a little 520i speeds instead of M5 supercharged speeds as I'd like to be!

Apart from that, none of the reputable and quality brands offered anything oem looking for the E39 a decade ago, and they won't do anything now either, so just hope I can find funding/a job asap!

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM

not too much a
china everywhere
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to LOVE MY X5
Mein Auto: x5
Well more on the HUALINGAN MODEL i installed this less than 1 year ago
So far the unit TV did not work after 1 month
The Bluetooth for the phone cuts in and out all the time
1 month ago the USB input started shutting down the unit so I have to turn the car off and on to reset system when I use it
Now the DVD player just stopped working
I contacted HUALINGAN and they say that the unit cannot be repaired and that i will need to buy a new unit from them????????
I explained that this unit is less than 1 year old, but they will not honour warrantee
I am extremely disappointed with this manufacturer and after spending almost $700 on what they told me was the top of the range unit last year to be told they do not have warrantee
DO NOT BUY FROM HUALINGAN or if you want to I suggest you Google hualingan problems and save yourself some money
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 03 525i + 03 525i Wagon
Thanks for this. I am Canadian and sometimes feel American companies can take advantage of the border. This is certainly not a complete condemnation, I deal with American companies on line and generally find them exceptional, better service than many Cdn. companies, but I think the weaker ones can and do use the border as a shelter, because of the difficulty of returning items bought outside on one's own country.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmv x5 4.6IS blk/blk
may i ask where you guy purchased "parrot external mic" at a cheap price? to work for the hualingan?,,

and now after reading few last posts,i dont even know if i want to buy from them...

i may take that chance,but dont know yet!

do they have any re seller in the usa or canada?

thanks for any info!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: '99 e36 M3 'Vert 5-spd
I've read your posts that the steering wheel buttons work, but I want to know if all of them work? In other words, does the R/T button do anything? Can you answer incoming Bluetooth calls by hitting the "Talk" button??

Thanks for an awesome write-up!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosanci28 View Post
may i ask where you guy purchased "parrot external mic" at a cheap price? to work for the hualingan?,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosanci28 View Post

and now after reading few last posts,i dont even know if i want to buy from them...

i may take that chance,but dont know yet!

do they have any re seller in the usa or canada?

thanks for any info!

Radio Shack or The Source for the Parrot mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxalot View Post
I've read your posts that the steering wheel buttons work, but I want to know if all of them work? In other words, does the R/T button do anything? Can you answer incoming Bluetooth calls by hitting the "Talk" button??
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxalot View Post

Thanks for an awesome write-up!

Not sure about the R/T button, haven't tested it (yet)...I will maybe today...if I don't forget. I always feel compelled to hit the green phone logo on teh display.