Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: '99 e36 M3 'Vert 5-spd
Just to update anyone reading this thread, Dynavin has just introduced an updated model, the DVN-e39A. They have finally matched the strengths of the Hualingan without losing their original advantages.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e39a.php

No more fugly forehead, and finally a 7 inch screen.

Bon Appetit!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Oh snap! Now this unit looks nice!

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Party Hard, Drive Faster.

Send a message via Skype™ to e39tuner
Mein Auto: e39 540iA
I know this thread is old, but where could I buy one of these Hualigan HUs?

E39 98 540iA Sport
Hamaan Black Kidney Grills, Resonator Delete, Supersprint Cats, BBS staggered rims, Smoked Euro Taillights...Many More Mods to come.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmv x5 4.6IS blk/blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39tuner View Post
I know this thread is old, but where could I buy one of these Hualigan HUs?
pm sent.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
This is a terrific write up mate! I'll be installing a system similar to this in my E39 soon, and I'm guessing I'll be finished in half the time than would otherwise have been the case - and with my dash still in one piece!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i, Pajero, Rover
I know the topic is kinda dated but is there a way to get this unit to work on a DSP amp without having the mid and the business cd connected in the trunk?? I just got the unit and the seller said it was a straight plug n play and it would come with a DSP adaptor well guess what it did not after travelling 9000miles to find out theres no store here that sells the metra wiring to do the trunk/glove box combo. Pls help
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Pekelicious,

No, there isn't any kind of 'adaptor' that allows any aftermarket head unit to work with the oem DSP amplifier. I'd suggest you either do the workaround discussed here or, just use aftermarket amplifiers or use the onboard amplifier.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i, Pajero, Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi Pekelicious,

No, there isn't any kind of 'adaptor' that allows any aftermarket head unit to work with the oem DSP amplifier. I'd suggest you either do the workaround discussed here or, just use aftermarket amplifiers or use the onboard amplifier.

Cheers, Dennis!
Hi Dennis thks for your quick reply. I'm already heading to the aftermarket highway... i'm just looking for a DIY on how to install the aftermarket amp without cutting anything(splicing is welcome ) do you have any link pointing that?!?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi Pekelicious,

Cheers, Dennis!
Actually that's wrong. My friend Fmugur was the first one to develop the workaround because his car had the DSP unit. Check this thread. Jeff from Jandtdistributions sells the DSP pigtail. If you are not sure how it works, write him an e-mail, and maybe he will help you out.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Doru,

Completely forgot about that thread!

I've bookmarked it and updated myself that by doing quite a bit of work you can interface an aftermarket head unit with the DSP amp. Anyone who asks, I'll reference this thread!

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to scott740il
Mein Auto: 1999 540iT Wagon
bringing this thread back, to those who got this unit and did the DSP bypass, how didyou get the MID cable to the glovebox?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott740il View Post
bringing this thread back, to those who got this unit and did the DSP bypass, how didyou get the MID cable to the glovebox?
When the new unit is out, just route the cable in the back, then in the glovebox. The glovebox must be open, then you can see where you can route it in there. Really simple.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Here is the scoop about my unit:
Radio: the colors/background is not the greatest. It could have been done better, I think. It has the niceties of bringing up the names of stations, which song is playing etc - in FM. Also, when listening FM, at the bottom you can toggle another bar that has the FM radio stations sorted by music, news, sports, weather, etc. Nice feature.
The AM part is a bit stubborn to store the stations - there is no manual, only a 20 or so pages of bare instructions (I think a thorough manual would be at least 200 pages...) So there is certain way of storing the AM stations. For the first week I did it wrong all the time and was a bit fed up. Talked with someone who has the same unit and told me what I was doing wrong. Bingo. Done.
Bluetooth. If one is not using the external mic, it's crappy, because the filtering/noise canceller is not set up properly. It actually cancells too much out. If using the external mic, how I did it, the blutooth of this unit is probably the best one bar none on the market. The sound is clear and crisp on both ends. Tested thoroughly, including by some Radioshack buddies.
GPS. It has the Igo 9 (or is it 8?) To have your own opinion here is a link that compares different GPS software. I was blown away. You be the judge.
While driving with the GPS, and listening to music, if the GPS kicks in to give directions, only the driver side loudspeaker will be activated for that, so the passengers can still listen to what they were listening (music, news, etc). The volume can be preset.
These are the main functions I use.
DVD player. Just like a DVD player with all the functions. Image quality and sound quality is good, no complaints.
CD player. It's the same as the DVD. Good sound quality, if you want to listen to music.
Mp3 and mpeg4. It has 2 card slots - micro SD cards. I use both and have the 16Gb. The right card has also the GPS software.
The right card goes through a different "channel" if you will compared to the left slot. The layout is nicer. The left slot layout is in my opinion "unfinished" - has the old win 95 look if you will when browsing for whatever you want to tune in.
The amount of movies, songs, pictures depends on the size of the files. Also, there are some 32 Gb micro SD cards now, if I'm not mistaken. The picture and sound quality is good. I loaded some music video clips, and the kids appreciate this. I have them actually silenced - before they were chattering incessantly.
I must add that for everything that was mentioned you have steering wheel controls, which is a plus.
Ipod. I have the cable snaked in the glove box, but because I loaded a ton of songs on the SD cards, I didn't use my Ipod. It seems outdated now. I still have the functionality - in case.
USB port. I have not used it yet. Cannot comment, but if you want to change boot logo, updated software, change icons, skins etc, it can be done through the USB port or through the right slot micro SD card.
Mp3 socket. It also has another mp3 socket. I did not used this one either. Yet.
TV tuner. In order for this to function correctly, you need to hook up a dedicated cable that will go to an aerial/antennae. I have not hooked it up. I had some fuzzy images when I was cruising downtown and was close to the emitting stations. Also, keep in mind I didn't order my unit with the updated digital conversion feature - I didn't plan on watching TV from my car, so even if I would have installed the antennae cable, sometimes this year it will not work once the conversion from analog to digital TV is complete.
Back-up camera. I have not installed this option - too much work. You have to sneak cables all the way to the trunk and then mount the rear view camera. I know, I'm lazy. But I have a friend who did it. here is a linky but you will have to expand to the whole post.

There is some glaring when the sun shines at the wrong angle. I purchased some antiglare film, but I did not install it yet. Soon.

Comments from BMW dealership: "Wow! is this OEM? How come we never seen this?"
The master tech and sales guys were all over my car this past winter when I had my final inspection before she went out of warranty. Nobody was looking at the "M" specimens anymore - LOL, I felt special. When I started the video clips for the songs, their jaws just dropped. It was silence for a brief moment and the chatter with questions started. I had to spend an extra hour there. I hope they will remember me when I will need some parts in a rush. I got a good discount that day because of the Hualigan.
Hello doru,

How did you route the microphone cable from the headunit to the top? Did you go through the passenger side and up the pillar or driver side and up the pillar? Also, the place where you mount the gps antenna, do you get good reception doing this way than mounting it close to the front windshield (on top of the dash)? Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugyot View Post
Hello doru,

How did you route the microphone cable from the headunit to the top? Did you go through the passenger side and up the pillar or driver side and up the pillar? Also, the place where you mount the gps antenna, do you get good reception doing this way than mounting it close to the front windshield (on top of the dash)? Thanks
Sorry for the late reply:
Mic cable through pass side A pillar
I never had reception issues with the GPS where I located the antenna.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Don't want to start a new thread and OP did do this in his original post. But is there a DIY for relocating the MID to the glovebox?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM

I may have some pictures,but is been long ago,and not sure where i put them,

also found this here ,that may help

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=dynavin

if you have dsp too.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Thanks for the reply. That thread is more about a DSP work around. I don't have DSP.

I just want to know how the wiring is extended from the stock area to the glove box that attaches to the MID. The wiring that goes to the MID, is it exclusively for the MID or do I need to plug them into an aftermarket Nav of my choice.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM

From what i remember , the main plug that you take out from the MIDI , you have to cut the wires , to make them longer and ,after you take
all those wires ,and go under the dash and into the glove box ,then you have to re-attach them and plug it back into the MIDI.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Since this is a reference thread for trim removal (in addition to Hualigan), this thread today has useful MID information ...
E39 (1997 - 2003) > Install in-dash CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Dennis...the e39s imported to the USA all came with either the MID or Nav set-up. And the MID was either a low MID or high MID...depending on which instrument cluster the car had.

In Europe, you all had another option...the IRIS systems....perhaps you are thinking of those units.

The MID is a single component that has an upper & lower display section...and comes with either the in-dash cassette installed above it...and later (approx 2000/01) the single in-dash CD was available. And as others stated, the first ones had a connector with round pins (the CD43)...and the later flat pin connector was the CD53.

My 99 540iT came with the high MID & in-dash cass...and I was lucky to find a a used (round pin) CD43 that was plug n play for my application.

From in-dash cassette/radio & MID..to in-dash CD/radio & MID:

Europe had the option of the IRIS (intergrated radio information system)...the display only has a single line of info that appears...it can be a one piece or multi-piece system depending on which IRIS radio you have:

BMW Reverse RDS Radio (one piece)

BMW Business Radio (one-piece)

IRIS (integrated radio information system)

IRIS with in-dash Business RDS radio/cass player
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 06-08-2014, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5
I have the ss-01 bmw can bus module but I don't know what the pink wire connects to ? Can anyone help me I have a 2002 bmw x5