Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: e36 323i and e32 735i ase
Question E38 help (Aux pump seal)

Hi all I need help! I have a 94 740i and love it, I have done both rockers and a new zke module bmw fitted

I have an oil leak which I hope is not head ? Loads of oil all over can't see on ramp till steamed off, also leaking water pump which is a cheap fix but my prodicament is to keep her and fix which I would but need advise from you all on the next issues please,

The engine warms up a average time and sits normal temp not moving at all but warm air is slow to enter cabin, my cigerete lighters fail to have power and last night I found a blown 5 amp fuse in right hand side boot fuse box which I replaced, the doors locked and after approximate 5 mins a burning smell came along and smoke from below,

I removed the fuse and now the electric boot opening has stopped working and needs the key to open it, the alarm also does not work ever since bmw fitted a new zke and they say it requires a second key to initiate?

Any ideas as I'm at my wits end with it and love it to death, the engine box and body are sound do I keep or move on?

If you have suggestions on the above faults could you also post to my email please it is darenrb@live.co.uk

I thank anyone in anticipation please help me.

Any help please or opinions please help.

Last edited by M.Wong; 11-18-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Wrong email
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
If you got smoke and a burning smell from somewhere after connecting a fuse, then you have a major short somewhere, and I'm surprised that the short didn't blow the fuse right away. I would get a wiring diagram from the internet or the dealer, and find out exactly what electrical components this fuse is supposed to connect, after that, I would check these components.

The only way you can pinpoint oil leaks in the motor, is to wash it off with a strong degreaser, then drive it a few miles, and put it on a lift. But if coolant is leaking in the motor, and dirt from the street hits it and sticks to it, sometimes it can look like an oil leak.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Cheers for the reply, the boot motor is working again must have been stuck, still no more I will have to ramp her and clean, I love the car loads of power and economical for it's size just unsure what to do?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740iL (E38)
I too am having problems with cooling/heating system. My 95 e38 is slow to get heat into the cabin, if at all. I have a suspicion with the cooling system. My first guess is that the cooling system needed to be bled. I topped off the radiator with coolant and went for a drive. After I parked at home, I went out again a few hours later and found a bunch of coolant puddled beneath the passenger front wheel.

I drive for a little while, the needle never gets to red, just stays right in center. I unlocked the driver display and selected the test mode to display the actual coolant temp. It seemed to hover around 1?2 the entire time (I didn't get an exact number due to the pixel problem). It never hit 2xx, and didn't fluctuate any.

In addition, i'm getting the check coolant level gong, but the little indicator in the resevoir floats faithfully to the top every time I open it.

When I turn the dual climate to 90 degrees, I get cool air most of the time. any suggestions?
Sorry if I hijacked your post, though maybe our problems might be related.

:edit:
My cigarette lighters are also not working. I assumed it was a fuse, but haven't checked yet. Are the cigarette fuses in the trunk? didn't see them when I was checking under the hood. Would like to charge the phone while driving!

Last edited by MotoRyan; 11-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Cool

yea if you lift the boot on tyhe right hand side above the battery there is a small flap of carpet inside you will find about 20 fuses i think cigerete lighter is 4th back???

ill keep you posted if you do me!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Heating problems could be due to auxiliary water pump failure. Check E38.org, or meeknet.co.uk for DIY and usual fault problems. And your climate is controlled by an electric valve which opens and close hot water circulation according with your temp settings inside the cabin. You could have a fault there too.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740iL (E38)
That's exactly what it was, aux pump seal was leaking. Replaced the entire dial climate control module, 460 from BMW with my cca discount

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App