Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Removing console, need tips...

I can't remember how the gauges come out. Can someone (Daniel?) give me a hand? Also, the lighter plug...
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
how deep are you going!

The main gage console removes with two torx I think and then three connectors behing that need to be lifted. do not scratch it and we have done it with the steering wheel in.If you want the independent gages from behind.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Sorry, I didn't describe my problem well. I'm talking about the clock / temp gauges in the center console. About 10 mins after posting I figured it out, of course. After struggling with it for quite a while.

For the archives... the gauges are held in place with a threaded sleeve. To remove them press on the glass of the gauge to hold it in place and reach around the console with the other hand. The sleeve is knurled kind of like the lid of a glass jar to make it easy to grab and twist. Just unscrew it all the way and the gauge will slide easily out the front of the console. Then you can disconnect the wire and set the gauge aside. In order to keep the connections straight I reconnected the gauge behind the console. Once the console was removed I disconnected the gauge subharness and set it aside with all gauges attached.

The lighter / power plug just uses blade connectors. Just pull them off.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
You probably have this all figured out by now, and recall some of it from stripping the Pollenator. You figured out the push-on-the-gauge-glass trick. I'll recant some other tips anyway...

When replacing the console, don't forget about the guide pins at the top, make sure they're going nicely into their holes as you put it back in. And that they're out of their holes before you start moving the back of the console upward. Wouldn't want to break those.

Be very careful removing/replacing the hazard switch. The surround is very thin and cracks easily. $.05 of plastic, but BMW wants $10 for one. I added a disconnect to my hazard switch so I won't ever have to remove it again (it now stays in my center console).

The lighter plug and bulb... do those second-to-last on the way back in, with the buttons still out (but connected). You can then reach in there with a couple of fingers of your right hand to put the bulb back in. There's no other good way to do it that I've found, that wire is short and the bulb falls out of the socket easily.

Chime should go in last, lying in the footwell and reaching in from behind to put it in place. Take note of its orientation and the little locating pin before you put the console back in.

Wise to label the heat seater harnesses since they're the same connectors left and right. A small Sharpie is good enough, writing 'L' and 'R' on the connector shells.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 325is
Is there an easier way to remove just the gauges? (e.g., without removing the radio or the entire center console?)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Nope.