Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Smile OK-- So I'm Impressed

Today, I was given a nice treat to see the X3 before anyone else in the area by Russel BMW and Emily O'Donnell.

I have to say it looks a lot nicer up close and in person. The interior is definitely more spacious. Some asked about measurements in another post so I brought a tape measure.

The interior is a good 3 inches wider in front and back. There is a noticeable amount of improved head and leg room as you can see from a 2010 and 2011 pic I have included.

They finally got rid of the stupid push button climate controls and put in rotary that have a graduated feel to them. The front cabin is more spacious and ergonomically set. The steering controls are much more user friendly as well.

The rear cabin has much more leg room, the center divide is much lower giving a sense of space. And there are climate venting in the back for passengers.

The trunk space is much larger by almost 7 inches in width. 2010 37.5 inches to the new 44 inches.

Also, the entire back deck lifts up for added storage which was only partially accessible in the predecessor. Great for amplifiers, lol.

The sound system is still an embarrassment with respect to what is offered by entry level mazda's, fords and competitors, but I can easily fix that now and even keep the original HU with new components that are available. Still don't understand why they don't step up to at least a 5 1/4 door mount speaker.

Most of the other things you can see on your own with the BMWNA configurator, but ask any questions and I'll try to fill in the blanks.

Attached are pics. I have yet to drive one, but if it drives as good as it looks I think BMW may have a winner here. I'm impressed with the feel, fit, finish as well as the specs of 5.5 sec 0-60 in the 35 model. That is as fast as the M class X5 which I loved, but was too expensive and a gas guzzler.

If you are in the Balt-DC area look up Emily O'Donnell at Russel (in pics). I talk a lot and she is a great listener and very attentive to detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 X3 Pass.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	255273   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 X3 Pass.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	255274   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 X3 Front Int.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	255275   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 X3 Front.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	255276   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 X3 Rear.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	255277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 X3 Side.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	255278  
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-19-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Looks like the old X5 size wise. Depending on how tall Emily is there seems to be lots of room back there. I wonder if the rear seat adjusts fore and aft like many of the others?
Thanks for posting the pix of Emily(!) and the car.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-19-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Great pics. Did you measure the length of the cargo area and the height up to the top of the seat backs?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I liked new design better then old one.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
I liked new design better then old one.
I never liked the old X3, this one looks much better.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
The interior design still looks dull, unfortunately. Q5 does a much better job in design.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Thanks for posting the pix of Emily(!) and the car.
What car
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
The cargo area length and height are pretty much the same with the exception that the back seats are less angled so that adds some storage area.

Sent from my DROIDX
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Wow. Thanks for the great pics.

There seems to be a ton of real leg room. In one picture she is pulling her legs unrealistically far back but in the other she seems more relaxed and there still seems to be room. That's the best picture of leg room that I've seen.

I don't understand where all this width is coming from...both the 3 inches and the 7 inches...when they said it is only 1 inch wider. Do you have any ideas?

I really hate hate that inside front but it might just be the colors. It looks so dull.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM

Oh...I get it...duh...one is 2010 rear leg room and the other is 2011. If I'm being honest, I don't notice a huge difference but she is pulling her legs all the way back in the 2010 pic. maybe is she relaxed, there would be less space. I'll look again.

Edit. I looked again. It's hard to make out...maybe an inch? Definitely not 3 inches difference. IDK. Maybe in person it is more noticeable.

Last edited by X3forlife; 11-19-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I don't understand where all this width is coming from...both the 3 inches and the 7 inches...when they said it is only 1 inch wider. Do you have any ideas?
I believe they got the extra width by moving the wheel wells back. This would give it more hip room.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I believe they got the extra width by moving the wheel wells back. This would give it more hip room.
I think it only went back like 1/2 inch if I am correct. IDK. We'll have to wait for EV. He's an engineer so he would probably know. Maybe there was some extra padding. I do remember there is a spot on the left where a 6CD changer can go (where the DVD nav disc goes)...IDK.

And by the way, moving the wheel wells back should create less room in the trunk. he said there were 7 more inches...???
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I bought two cars from Russel -- in 1998 and 2000 -- when I still lived in Maryland.

I really like the new design -- Emily did not work there when I was a customer.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Very pretty GIRL !!!! Guys, I love cars too, especially BMWs, but it's strange no one notices the girl
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
I got to see it in the flesh today since my dealership did the official roll out and I stopped in to order rubber mats. Sorry, no pics. Too many customers. I'll try Wednesday when I take my X in for a recall and winter tires.

My impression was that it looked fantastic. Pictures do not do the proportions justice. Black sapphire and black fabric with aluminum interior trim. Alu trim on the roof racks and the front and rear bottom lips. Very good looking.

And then, for me, it started going downhill. If the interior is more spacious, it didn't look so. Subjectively, it looked smaller. I didn't even attempt the contortions it would've taken to get into the back seat. With the front seats all the way back there appeared to be about 6 in. to the front of the bottom cushion. It appeared to me that the seat cushions were lower than the first generation. And, while I was peeking in through the front passenger side, a guy sitting in the driver's seat commented that he thought it was barely bigger than the X1, if at all. He had the seat all the way back, all the way down, and his knees were barely 2 inches from the dash and at the height of the steering column itself. Looking inside the trunk area I had the distinct impression that more cargo would fit into a Ford Mustang trunk. IDK, maybe all the black interior just made everything look small to me but there's no way on God's green earth I'd pay the money they're asking for such a small vehicle.

It's a beautiful, quality vehicle, but If I was shopping right now, the Volvo XC60 or V60 would be higher on my list and I'd have to also consider the Q5.

Last edited by HT417; 11-20-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Now that you mention it, the front seat does look pretty far forward (looking at the console) and Emily's legs -- which are not bad either!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Now that you mention it, the front seat does look pretty far forward (looking at the console) and Emily's legs -- which are not bad either!
Yes and YES! Evl deserves a lot of praise for his good taste in SAs. 2 thumbs up!

Last edited by HT417; 11-20-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
I got to see it in the flesh today since my dealership did the official roll out and I stopped in to order rubber mats. Sorry, no pics. Too many customers. I'll try Wednesday when I take my X in for a recall and winter tires.

My impression was that it looked fantastic. Pictures do not do the proportions justice. Black sapphire and black fabric with aluminum interior trim. Alu trim on the roof racks and the front and rear bottom lips. Very good looking.

And then, for me, it started going downhill. If the interior is more spacious, it didn't look so. Subjectively, it looked smaller. I didn't even attempt the contortions it would've taken to get into the back seat. With the front seats all the way back there appeared to be about 6 in. to the front of the bottom cushion. It appeared to me that the seat cushions were lower than the first generation. And, while I was peeking in through the front passenger side, a guy sitting in the driver's seat commented that he thought it was barely bigger than the X1, if at all. He had the seat all the way back, all the way down, and his knees were barely 2 inches from the dash and at the height of the steering column itself. Looking inside the trunk area I had the distinct impression that more cargo would fit into a Ford Mustang trunk. IDK, maybe all the black interior just made everything look small to me but there's no way on God's green earth I'd pay the money they're asking for such a small vehicle.

It's a beautiful, quality vehicle, but If I was shopping right now, the Volvo XC60 or V60 would be higher on my list and I'd have to also consider the Q5.
Interesting. I'm just not seeing the extra leg room in the back. If so, no more than an inch. With them adding 3. inches, IMO they should have put all 3.4 into the back seat. The old trunk size is fine. Putting the space in the back allows people to move the front seats back so really you are giving the customer choice of where he wants the space.

The X1 has sliding rear seats I think so if they had added that to the X3, that would have been better.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm just not seeing the extra leg room in the back. If so, no more than an inch. With them adding 3. inches, IMO they should have put all 3.4 into the back seat. The old trunk size is fine. Putting the space in the back allows people to move the front seats back so really you are giving the customer choice of where he wants the space.

The X1 has sliding rear seats I think so if they had added that to the X3, that would have been better.
I agree. Just looking at the vehicle makes me wonder where all the money went. I'm sure it'll handle well and sprint so fast it'll leave its paint laying on the street. But I think they could have made it better. I guess that leaves something to look forward to in the LCI.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I agree. Just looking at the vehicle makes me wonder where all the money went. I'm sure it'll handle well and sprint so fast it'll leave its paint laying on the street. But I think they could have made it better. I guess that leaves something to look forward to in the LCI.
On the outside, I really like it. The only thing i don't like is the gradually slanting up window that makes it look like it is on its tippy toes. (not the Hoffmeister kink).

It would have looked great with a straight window.

On the inside...nice but I just think all of the extra inches should have gone to the rear.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
On the outside, I really like it. The only thing i don't like is the gradually slanting up window that makes it look like it is on its tippy toes. (not the Hoffmeister kink).

It would have looked great with a straight window.

On the inside...nice but I just think all of the extra inches should have gone to the rear.
I wasn't accurate in my wording. What I meant to say was they could have taken the opportunity to upgrade the interior more along the lines of what you mentioned; i.e. sliding seats to adjust the cargo configuration. It seems to serve mostly as an update. It lacks any advancement in creativity and ingenuity and seems to lag some of the competition in useful features. I guess it all comes down to price point and priorities and doubtless they put the effort in maintaining BMW's reputation as a driver's vehicle. It is IMHO a pretty good piece of work visually. I think you have to see the alu lip trim to appreciate it. I don't know whether the NA market will get it right away or not but it really bumps it up a notch.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
I agree. Just looking at the vehicle makes me wonder where all the money went.
I'm not sure what you mean by "all the extra money"? The base price for the 2011 model is less than the 2010 model.

I saw a euro spec one at my local dealer this morning. It was very nice; the interior seemed comparable to my 328 quality wise and with the drivers seat adjusted for me (5'-10") I still had plenty of leg room in the rear seat.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I wasn't accurate in my wording. What I meant to say was they could have taken the opportunity to upgrade the interior more along the lines of what you mentioned; i.e. sliding seats to adjust the cargo configuration. It seems to serve mostly as an update. It lacks any advancement in creativity and ingenuity and seems to lag some of the competition in useful features. I guess it all comes down to price point and priorities and doubtless they put the effort in maintaining BMW's reputation as a driver's vehicle. It is IMHO a pretty good piece of work visually. I think you have to see the alu lip trim to appreciate it. I don't know whether the NA market will get it right away or not but it really bumps it up a notch.
I like the car except those 2 complaints
1.gradually raising window
2. extra trunk space added instead of cabin room. The trunk was perfectly fine ...but as we discussed, sliding rear seats is the quick answer to end the debate.

They skipped the sliding rear seats because they were afraid it could be said to have MORE leg room than the X5...and X5 might take a hit. Maybe they will add it to the X5 first then come back in a couple of years and add it to the X3 as a spark. Since they have it in the X1, it would have been easy to pass the technology to the X3.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "all the extra money"? The base price for the 2011 model is less than the 2010 model.

I saw a euro spec one at my local dealer this morning. It was very nice; the interior seemed comparable to my 328 quality wise and with the drivers seat adjusted for me (5'-10") I still had plenty of leg room in the rear seat.
I don't think I ever said "extra" but I probably implied it and meant the higher price you can reach in a fully loaded model. When I wondered where the money went I was referring to the R & D money. It doesn't seem like much was spent on the interior.

And yes, the base is less. It also has 20 less HP than last year and no sunroof. Although it does have the 8 speed and quicker sprint times. Move to the 35i with just the packages and no options and you're already over $54K. I can't even imagine paying that much money for such a small vehicle but to each his own.

I'll probably take time to sit in it when I go back on Wednesday to satisfy my own curiosity but glancing in the back and then seeing the other customer in the driver's seat did nothing to convince me of long, comfortable trips. Like you, I was very impressed with the interior and exterior quality, workmanship, and materials and I could have starred at it for days like a nice piece of artwork.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
They skipped the sliding rear seats because they were afraid it could be said to have MORE leg room than the X5...and X5 might take a hit. Maybe they will add it to the X5 first then come back in a couple of years and add it to the X3 as a spark. Since they have it in the X1, it would have been easy to pass the technology to the X3.
And that's where their logic starts to get twisted as far as I'm concerned. To me, the X5's purpose is not just to offer customers a couple of extra inches of legroom. And apparently there was no fear that sliding seats on the X1 would cut into X3 sales. However, on a practical note, they may have decided that a little extra room was sufficient in the X3 whereas the X1 would be intolerable w/o the flexible adjustment.

BTW, the X5 already has sliding rear seats if you get the 7 seat package.