Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
It makes sense

I know why BMW does not want to give any X3s until January.

They have already conceded this year as a loss with dismal sales and they can save face by explaining that sales were poor because the new model was coming out.

If they sold starting in October, those numbers would go into this year which is a waste.

It makes sense to let the huge boost help next year's sales figures. I totally get it and agree.

It's not that they mistimed it or that they are tweaking things out...purely business presentation, confidence and marketing.

I'm not sure what the X1 is going to do to its numbers though. If it were me and I wanted strong numbers, I wouldn't release the X1 in the US until January 2012. This way they can get a full year of just Q5 vs X3. If somehow they can beat the Q5, it would be huge bragging rights.

They should make the X1 really cheap (starting 29K) and they should only offer the lower engine (not the 28i). This way if you want the 28i or better, you have to step up to the X3. This is the planned failure I was complaining about before. lol (like how they won't put the sliding rear seats even though the X1 has it because if the X3 can create more rear room the X5 might take a hit).

Go BMW...get Audi. I'll do my part but I just don't know if it will be 2011 or 2012 model year but sometime before the 2011 is over, I'll get one.
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Don't understand where you're getting the misinformation from.

BMW sales in the US and Worldwide are overall up by a significant percentage. In the North American market, YTD sales are up to 215.274 units, +7,7% compared to 2009. October sales were 23.222 units, up 12,6% compared to last October. Sales of BMW Group worldwide were 107.789 units, up 12,4% from the previous October. Strongest sales were found in the new 5er and X1. The Mini brand sales also increased about 6% in October.

Quote:
Bei der Kernmarke BMW legte der Absatz im Oktober um 12,4 Prozent auf knapp 108.000 Autos zu. Dabei profitierte der Autobauer von den Modellen der 5er-Serie, die mehr Käufer fanden, und dem neuen Geländewagen X1. Von der Marke Mini verkaufte BMW im vergangenen Monat sechs Prozent mehr.
http://de.reuters.com/article/compan...6A80CZ20101109

BMW always releases new models in its home market before North America. The X3 is no exception. The X1 will probably not be a volume seller in the US, although Canadians (who have better taste and more European preferences) may like the smaller size. I don't see much of a market for the X1 compared to the X3 and X5.

The X3 officially is in German dealerships as of today (20.11.2010) and folks have been able to order them for about a month now.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I wonder where that falls in comparison to M-B and Audi? It would be interesting to see the figures for the Q5 vs the X3 for this year. The "new" X3 is, after all, a 2011 so it could easily be released here in 2011. Next year's sales will be the interesting ones IMHO.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Don't understand where you're getting the misinformation from.

BMW sales in the US and Worldwide are overall up by a significant percentage.
Simple. I'm not misinformed. I was referring to their X3 sales in the US this year. I thought I had made that clear.

Also, selling in Europe prior to January is OK because the interesting stat is how they did compared to the Audi Q5 in the US. That is a completely separate stat.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I wonder where that falls in comparison to M-B and Audi? It would be interesting to see the figures for the Q5 vs the X3 for this year. The "new" X3 is, after all, a 2011 so it could easily be released here in 2011. Next year's sales will be the interesting ones IMHO.
LOL I think he got mixed up and thought I was talking about BMW and Worldwide instead of X3 and US. He's allowed to slip though because he's the best poster. lol If I were wrong, there would certainly be no need to delay and lose potential customers to competitors here in the US. It wouldn't make sense. But alas I am correct.

It would be a bold statement to say "BMW has reclaimed top spot as seller of compact SUVs". You can brag about it for a year in ads and promotions etc. Why would they waste the boost on this years sales? No way!

Last edited by X3forlife; 11-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
I went to the PC for the X3 launch. There is a wide gap in performance and handling between the new X3 with the twin turbo and it's competitors (both turbo and non-turbo/bigger engine variations). The MBenz is steps behind the X3. The Audi is gorgeous but still lacking in the P/H comparison. The Lexus is simply a scary car to push to its limits. Sales-wise, we'll see.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCA View Post
I went to the PC for the X3 launch. There is a wide gap in performance and handling between the new X3 with the twin turbo and it's competitors (both turbo and non-turbo/bigger engine variations). The MBenz is steps behind the X3. The Audi is gorgeous but still lacking in the P/H comparison. The Lexus is simply a scary car to push to its limits. Sales-wise, we'll see.
That's great to hear. I'm sure it was biased if the had other cars there though.

I can't wait for more video reviews. If I were BMW, I'd be inviting a video reviewer every week to test drive and give their opinion. So far, I have only really seen 1 video review (Autospies). Majorly weird.

The X3 rocks. I just hope they include a kick ass RES that is integrated. With the popularity of blueray going up, they should start giving the choice of blueray or regular DVD.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Almost every BMW that I can remember, if not all, is introduced first in Europe, then to the US. It just.......is. The timing for this particular model, the X3, just happens to be at the turn of the year.

Back not too long ago, the F10 5er was displayed and for sale in Europe as early as late February-March. Heck, I saw them on the roads in Germany and sat in one at the dealership in Frankfurt before they'd arrived in US dealerships.

I feel that since 2009, BMW pretty much gave up on selling X3s in the US. They shifted a lot of allocation spots to more profitable markets like the Middle East and Asia. Last year, dealers here got one or two slots per month if they were lucky. When I worked at the dealer, I remember we sat down to order vehicles once, and there were like, 15 spaces, none of which could be changed to an X3. Plenty of M3s though. The old X3 never really suited American preferences and was targeted mainly in Europe, where they sold very well even into its last production year.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In this market (NoCal) the X3 suited the preference quite well for the first few years. The problem came with the very good competition. No longer just the (RAV/CR-V) cute utes but serious offerings from Infiniti, M-B, Volvo, Audi, VW, etc. Then the "long in the tooth" X3 was no longer really competitive IMHO. I bought mine in '06 and had there been the options there are now I never would have gotten an X3.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-21-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Almost every BMW that I can remember, if not all, is introduced first in Europe, then to the US. It just.......is. The timing for this particular model, the X3, just happens to be at the turn of the year.
Not worth arguing about. I enjoy reading your posts. We just disagree on this one. I think it is perfectly planned to be able to make a run at being number 1 in the class and competing with the Q5 (they used to have good numbers) while at the same time, not letting the sales boost be wasted going to this years dismal X3 numbers. You feel it is all a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
In this market (NoCal) the X3 suited the preference quite well for the first few years. The problem came with the very good competition. No longer just the (RAV/CR-V) cute utes but serious offerings from Infiniti, M-B, Volvo, Audi, VW, etc. Then the "long in the tooth" X3 was no longer really competitive IMHO. I bought mine in '06 and had there been the options there are now I never would have gotten an X3.
Yeah. The X3 did well early.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
That's great to hear. I'm sure it was biased if the had other cars there though.

I can't wait for more video reviews. If I were BMW, I'd be inviting a video reviewer every week to test drive and give their opinion. So far, I have only really seen 1 video review (Autospies). Majorly weird.

The X3 rocks. I just hope they include a kick ass RES that is integrated. With the popularity of blueray going up, they should start giving the choice of blueray or regular DVD.
You must be kidding. Why would anyone want a blu ray in the vehicle when an SSD is the real way to go. I can pull up over 5000 different movies in my house with a simple set up. I plan on doing the same thing with a smaller HD depending on what happens with the 2011. Maybe even a simple bracket and an iPad.

Historically speaking BMW has had very poor success lately with introductions of new vehicles.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
You must be kidding. Why would anyone want a blu ray in the vehicle when an SSD is the real way to go. I can pull up over 5000 different movies in my house with a simple set up. I plan on doing the same thing with a smaller HD depending on what happens with the 2011. Maybe even a simple bracket and an iPad.

Historically speaking BMW has had very poor success lately with introductions of new vehicles.
There has to be some system to play movies you don't have. I have a lot of movies on I-pod but it took me a long time to convert those movies. Sometimes you want to watch something new.

Do you have any idea how to get TV reception? ...that would be awesome.'m hoping there is some kind of central player because I want to be able to connect my ipod and have it go to both screens. That's the problem I don't like with the Ipad is that the same thing wouldn't be playing on both screens. That's part of the coolness of an integrated system.

I wish they would offer some system that was "pimped" to offer a PS3. That would give people both video games and a blueray player. In addition with the PS3's wireless setting, if the car truly is a mobile hotspot, you would be able to browse the internet with the rear screens through the PS3 internet browser. In addition, there is a PS3 Netflix program so your guests would be able to stream movies for free ($8.99 a month ---no problem if it cuts off, no money lost).

Let me know if you know how to hook that up. The PS3 may be the solution to everything. lol This is especially cool since they are slimmer these days.

I
Old 11-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Hey EE,

It sounds like you are comfortable letting people alter your BMW. I think next time I might do the same. The first time I was nervous and wanted everything to be official BMW. now I see they are super conservative. If one wants to make their car special, you really have to go outside BMW. For Europe, they offer TV and internet to RES...not here.

Listen to this:

A radio and cd player just doesn't cut it anymore. It's all about in car entertainment! Add a DVD player. How about a couple of TV screens with satellite TV access? We'll even add gaming system in your vehicle. The Sky's the limit. Just don't blame us if your passengers won't get out of the vehicle.

With the new stitching, they may not easily find a headrest replacement. I am certainly interested in hearing what can be done.

I just don't want BMW trying to blame any problems on them. Before there were problems and it was the computer that needed to be reprogrammed. Just imagine if I had had some work done...they would have blamed them. "Did anybody touch your car?"

I'm interested in hearing your opinion. Also, does it void any warranties?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Hey EV, why can't thy just put HDTV screens in there and add an ATSC tuner to pick up over the air HD? The TVs/screens are getting cheaper and cheaper.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Couple of things:

They can't void the warranty: They tried it on me already and under Magnuson Moss Warranty Act they are limited to only the area directly impacted.

Also, the reason I mentioned the iPad as a solution is because it is completely self contained and would only be like adding a hanger for a suit jacket.

This kinda makes any commentary by BMWNA and anyone moot. More than likely going to be my approach. Satellite TV? I think most TV shows are so infantile and pedestrian I am actually cancelling my TV and going internet only in our house.

Last, I trust very few people let alone some kid at a Best Buy. All of the work done on my vehicle I designed and had a direct hand in the implementation and installation.

The only reason I let someone else do the work was because of insurance reasons required by my carrier. However, I oversaw every aspect as most people don't meet my requirements which are way above regular set ups.

Sound snobby, I guess. Does it work they way I want--yup. Will I help anyone I can improve the tech in their vehicle--any way I can
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 AM

EE,

1. I understand the I-pad set up. Infact, BMW is supplying the bracket. I'm not impressed with that unless they can find a way to get both of them to play the same thing at the same time.

2. What do you think about this place?
http://www.dsielectronics.com/index.cfm?view=multimedia

3. How would you be able to stay with them while they work? It would seem strange. They would be offended and you would waste time if the job took a long time.

4. I wish they had an officially licensed BMW dealer who could put cool things in cars. they are so strightlined. I'm not nervous anymore though. I would just tell them not to mess with BMW electronics. I really wouldn't want them working on the front (nav, radio etc). If they stick to the back, that would be good.

5. The satelite thing is a silly idea. I looked into it and the dish is still huge. They install it on your roof. lol It's flat though but noticible. Who wants the monthly fees anyway.

6. BTW, I've seen you complaining about the speakers before. I have the premium and it sounds good to me. Maybe you are just looking for that shake your car subwoffer type of bass. IDK.