Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-20-2010, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530XI
Bmwitus

I really believe that I have come down with a disease, I refer to it as BMWITUS. Perhaps I can get some guidance.

Here are the symtoms...

Just picked up my first BMW 2007 Grey Metallic 530 XI, Prem Package Nav etc... showroom condition BMW. (2 days ago)

For the first time in 10 years I've cleaned out my side of the garage leaving my Wife confused to why it took 10 years. My children are not allowed to touch the car. I do not want to drive it as I am concerned that something might happen to it.

I find that I am unable to stop thinking about this car, I pull it out of the garage just to look at it. I will go to my garage at 2AM and gaze at this perfectly constructed machine, sometimes a tear will shed.

I am really concerned about my wellbeing, I am hoping that this euphoric state is only temporary as my obsession is making it difficult to deal with the day to day... please let me know. Is this going to stop?

Last edited by Bostoned; 11-20-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I've had my 08 550 for two weeks now. The symptoms are only getting worse. It's raining here today, and I'm still planning to go out in the garage and wash the car. My wife is thinking that I don't care about her any more, so are the kids. It feels like I'm 16 again and I just got my first car.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d & '07 328xi wagon
Sadly BMWitis is viral. It will run its course, then lie dormant for a period of time, flaring up from time to time. Soon you will find yourself in search of the ultimate parking space, away from others, hopefully between two concrete pillars as to avoid door dings. Giving it a once over with quick detail spray while it warms up. It is highly contageous, if your wife or children drive the car, they will break out in hives if they sit in anything other than a BMW.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i, 1997 Dodge Ram
Sadly, I am a victim of this disease as well. It all started a short 13 days ago and I fear it may never end.

My symptoms are apparently washing my car every three days on average, offering to pick up my girlfriend wherever she is no matter how bad the traffic, waking up five minutes early to do a quick detail, and having cocktails in the garage instead of on my couch.

Last edited by gcvt; 11-20-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
When you guys find yourselves talking to the car, it is time to see your local minister to be exorcised.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Sniff. cough, I have the fever too. After reading everything I can about my 535xi on this forum and carefully relating it to my family (especially the "what did you discover after having bought the 5" thread) my son is accusing me of turning into "a motor head" ....... oh the humiliation
Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
I too had the same issues when I picked up my 08 535. I few visits to the garage per evening and when using it for work, I would park in a spot where she would be well protected. 6 months past and I was some what cured. Then I purchased a new F10 and I'm back at square 1!
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti

Last edited by Slaymaster; 11-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
I like to look at my car too, even my previous e46; but I do need to drive it everyday.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 530
LMFAO - had my 530xi for 2 weeks and wonder WTF is wrong with me.

Firs time today in 10 maybe 15 years I hand washed my own car. Drove the family to dinner in my 10 year old Audi because i didn't want them to get the BMW dirty

Wife has said 10 times in the last 2 weeks, "it is only a car"
Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, it certainly makes me feel better that I have company and I am not going through this alone.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: Black 545i
I'm not well either. I clean my car a lot. I use a car duster before and after a trip. My girlfriend hates walking the mile I park away from the mall when we go shopping. Nobody eats in the car. Nobody! Am I also infected?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostoned View Post
I really believe that I have come down with a disease, I refer to it as BMWITUS. Perhaps I can get some guidance.

Here are the symtoms...

Just picked up my first BMW 2007 Grey Metallic 530 XI, Prem Package Nav etc... showroom condition BMW. (2 days ago)

For the first time in 10 years I've cleaned out my side of the garage leaving my Wife confused to why it took 10 years. My children are not allowed to touch the car. I do not want to drive it as I am concerned that something might happen to it.

I find that I am unable to stop thinking about this car, I pull it out of the garage just to look at it. I will go to my garage at 2AM and gaze at this perfectly constructed machine, sometimes a tear will shed.

I am really concerned about my wellbeing, I am hoping that this euphoric state is only temporary as my obsession is making it difficult to deal with the day to day... please let me know. Is this going to stop?

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Welcome to our group - I feel the same way... being on this forum just furthers it. We are Bimmer-holics Non-Anonymous .
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw M5
Lmao!!!! I was laughing hard readding u guys adds!! Its only funny if u can relate to the disease. I just bought my M5 06' this summer and ofcourse im the same way...lol i even bought a stupid maxima to go to work and run errands so i dont have to drive it everyday but i dawm sure go wipe it every 7 hrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	255433  
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: Black 545i
I just realized something. No matter how fast I drive down the expressway I will always spot that one bimmer amongst all the other cars on the oncoming side of traffic. No matter how many cars there might be driving next to it or how fast he is going.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Yup. Me too. What can we all say here? Once you sit behind a BMW, nothing else will do. It's like sleeping with that really hot bikini model you met at a party. All the other girls just seem sub-par from that point on. I feel bad for my Toyota dealer. After I test drove my BMW, I continued my car shopping. Both the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry just felt too "cheap". Didn't like the feel of the car and seemed to be under powered compared to the BMW. When we got back, the Honda dealer said, "so, what do you think? Ready to make a deal?" My response was "eh.... This car just didn't wow me. Not as much fun as a BMW". The poor guys face. He knew he couldn't say anything at that point.

Now I go out to my garage every night and sit in my BMW. Sometimes even the back seats, and say "I love you" to my car. She gets hand washed (which I have not done in 6 years) every week, leather cleaned and conditioned every week, and waxed every month. All my neighbors love my car and have congratulated me on the perfect driving machine I now own.

Ahh... The envy of the neighborhood!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brev View Post
LMFAO - had my 530xi for 2 weeks and wonder WTF is wrong with me.

Firs time today in 10 maybe 15 years I hand washed my own car. Drove the family to dinner in my 10 year old Audi because i didn't want them to get the BMW dirty

Wife has said 10 times in the last 2 weeks, "it is only a car"
My wife said the same thing this weekend- its is only a car!

We were going out to a very "fancy" dinner and I said to her we should take HER SUV as I don't like the valets parking the car, or worse yet going "Ferris Beuller" with it. She laughed and said "its only a car and it is meant to be DRIVEN, don't be such a puss!"
So we took the BMW and even though I had to explain the sport tranny to the valet, it was worth arriving all dressed up in style.
It was a nice excuse to detail it inside and out

2010-550i space gray/// M -SPORT
2008-535xi space gray-gone
1973-2002 beige- gone
Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Call me sick (or "touched" too). I was (and still am) the same way when I bought my 535i (first BMW) 2.5 years ago. Finally, I broke down 2 weeks ago and built a 8x12 outdoor storage shed so I could finally give my 535i the space she truly deserves in the garage. My next project (this spring) is a complete garage makeover so she can be properly "kept".

Oh... and this is a killer.... My significant other won't drive it (she never has driven it). I keep telling her to take the BMW when I want to use our Volvo XC/70 (her daily driver) and she always says no. She's a lead foot and says if she ever experiences the turbo N54, she's afraid shell get a ticket (and catch the disease). Like drugs, she says it's best to stay away from addictive things.

Last edited by jesimmons; 11-22-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530I Silver Gray 6M
let your wife drive it.....
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhasna View Post
let your wife drive it.....
gasp!!!! Never!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM

I started this thread 1.5 years ago, although I still have symptoms I think I found a temporary cure... Just experience a failed Car Communication Computer (CCC) unit and all of a sudden the obsession begins to dissipate.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
I parked my car away from other cars and close to BMW, but I found people like to park right near BMW for some f... reason, even it sits away from other car. I so pissed and I can't even describe. Even at my work, we have a big parking lot, and I parked near the curb ( for extra couple feet), but my fellow co-workers like to park on my spot, then I moved car again away from everyone, after couple week someone parked his car right beside mine or on mu spot. What a f...?

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Its how I roll

Mein Auto: 1985 M635csi, 2008 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlfly View Post
I parked my car away from other cars and close to BMW, but I found people like to park right near BMW for some f... reason, even it sits away from other car. I so pissed and I can't even describe. Even at my work, we have a big parking lot, and I parked near the curb ( for extra couple feet), but my fellow co-workers like to park on my spot, then I moved car again away from everyone, after couple week someone parked his car right beside mine or on mu spot. What a f...?
Perhaps they think some of that BMW mystique will rub off on their mundane vehicle.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, manual blk/blk
I can relate to ALL of the above!!! When we return from our Summer vacation every year in my wife's Sienna minivan, the first thing I do is rush to my '08 535i (MT) and caress and kiss it. My kids have gotten used to it. My kids also know to only close the door with the door handle so as not to leave fingerprints on the paint or windows. they know not to get into the car with soccer cleats and know not to scuff the seat backs with their shoes. They instruct their friends on proper etiquette when they get in the car, too. And yes, I use a soft dusting cloth everyday and have been known to perform the mid-week cleaning as well. It may not be so much a disease as it is an addiction.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Thread of the Decade IMO