Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 525i - Black e39
Driving WITHOUT Fan or Fan Clutch

I was replacing my Tstat and flush/filling BMW Blue yesterday. Had my fan/clutch sitting on top of the big green trash can, and my dad came out and, of course, flipped the top open without even registering that there was a breakable car part sitting on top of what he was moving - he was looking right at the fan/clutch!!! It's not tiny!!! Hahaha it's ok I can laugh about it.

Anyway, now in without a fan blade and fan clutch til Monday. I drove around the block and it got to operating temp pretty quickly. Never once did it get warm (I have a scanner than shows me exact temp).

Am I going to be on diving lightly for a day and a half? Not far and not often. It's been about 60-70F here but it has been cooler than Normal.

Anybody that has deleted their fan on purpose or has driven with no fan please chime in quickly.

I would have done a best links search, but just FYI on something like this I'm looking for communication and interaction - people's opinions and experiences. Not to say you can't get that by searching. But I like current, semi live action here.

Thanks, already!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i sport 5spd
Lots of guys have taken the clutch fan off and ran without it. I didn't see a big thread about it over here.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=fan+delete
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I just added the following thread to the bestlinks, so we can find it more easily in the future:
- How long can you drive your BMW E39 with the viscous fan clutch removed (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-17-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks

Thanks you all - this is kind of what I was thinking. I wasn't anticipating drastic overheating.

BlueBee thanks for your efforts. The cross-connecting and linking you do is absolutely the best thing here, outside of the acutal informaton and memebers itself/themselves.

FYI, I've been driving moderate distances and times today, and have had I Innova Scan Tool plugged in the enttire time (PLUS I just installed my new Behr Tstat last night). A full day and I have not even come close to an abnormally high temp. I do cool down a number of degrees when traveling on the highway, obviously, thanks to the air flow. It's also cool to see the Tstat really work. My coolant temp will hit 97 on the scan tool, and it wont even get to 99 before its dropping as low as 90ish, AKA the Thermostat is functioning properly and performing well!

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbradenMmillerW View Post
My coolant temp will hit 97 on the scan tool, and it wont even get to 99 before its dropping as low as 90ish
This is also good information for the coolant temperature thread:
- What is the temperature of the coolant when the thermostat opens under normal conditions (1)

BTW, you don't need a scan tool to check the dynamic unbuffered temperature ... because it's on the cluster.

Here's mine, for example:

Please do keep us informed as to what your temperature is doing, as I think it invaluable information, especially for those stuck on the road, with no fan (for whatever reason).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-20-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 PM

BlueBee, my BLACKbee (lol) has been no-fan for a couple days now. It was 98 and 100F here yesterday and today respectively, so it's been very hot outside. Yet no overheating issues at all.

By the way, thank you - I've been aware of the cluster unlock for some time now, but my bulbs/lights for the High Display are burning out and it's just easier to go with my Live Data Scanner. I get live readings of a litany of functions, including Coolant Temp.

Here's my current info and equipment (Cooling Overhaul except Radiator coming this week, although I'm beginning to think this system could run forever!):

2002 BMW 525i 4Dr Sedan, M54 2.5L Auto/Steptronic ZF Trans - 164,000miles
Cooling System:
Radiator: Unknown - No legible sticker or mark. Unreadble sticker up top.
Water Pump: Original BMW
Expansion Tank: Original BMW
Thermostat & Housing: Behr OEM REPLACED 3 days ago(7/19/14)
Upper & Lower Rad Hoses: Original BMW
Both Drive Belts: Conitech OEM REPLACED 1 month ago (6/2014)
Aux. Electric Water Pump: Original (& performing very well)
Fan Shroud: Original BMW (& beat up to high hell)
Engine Water Pipe (Metal): Appears to be original
Water Hose (Exp. Tank to Aux. H2O Pump): Original BMW
Warer Hose (Exp. Tank to Water Pipe): Original BMW
Fan: Broken and Gone, maybe Permanently
Fan Clutch: Remvoed, but still functional

So you get the gist - this system is original. Just turned 12 this month! I've been driving with NO FAN OR FAN CLUTCH for 2+ days, under moderate to heavy loads, rippin' through all RPM's at times, all in 95-100F hot Oklahoma summer weather. I HAVE NOT had even the slightest scare of overheating, as I have live temp readings of my coolant via OBD2 Live Data Scanner. My Behr Tstat opens immediately at 97C (206.6F), and the temp will climb to 98 or 99C and then BAM!!! it's darting back down to 90c or so within a minute or two. Very pleased.

Now, the car DOES GET WARMER when sitting still or not driving very fast. The lack of air flow will shoot the engine temp up to 105C or so at it's worst. And that's during the 100F day. At night, the engine will rarely creep over 100C sitting still. I have less research data for night time driving. So im gonna go get some data now!

Peace!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
You should be ok, however if your Aux fan ever fails your engine will be toast in a few minutes. Do you feel lucky?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Ok JLev, interesting that you say that.... Because I'm 97.67% positive that my aux fan... doesn't work. I've never seen or heard it turn on, unless the sound I THOUGHT was my fan clutch engaging (a heavy mechanical sounding whirl on acceleration) was, in fact, the aux fan... But I doubt it. Unless I'm mistaken and partially ignorant, which certainly has been the case once or twice before, then I don't think the engine can be toasted from the lack of both fans. At least not in a cooling system that is otherwise functioning fully. And assuming the vehicle is not left idling for any length of time more than your typical fast food drive thru...

I'm sure this question is best-link-searchable, (sorry bluebee), but what criteria must be met for the aux fan to switch on?

Also, at what temperature (engine? coolant? oil?) does an E39 begin to experience internal damage?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I'm sure this question is best-link-searchable, (sorry bluebee), but what criteria must be met for the aux fan to switch on?
The search criteria is always the same.
That is, by design, it's always whatever the first word that comes to mind would be.

Usually it's the part name (yes, it really is that simple).

It's a noun.

And, usually its all the common ways that that noun is used, and, if the part name is often misspelled, then even the misspellings can be used as a search, since the entry is keyword rich.

Given that, what noun would you "think" you'd use to find information on the aux fan?

In this case, I'd simply use "aux fan" (although auxiliary fan & electrical fan will both work). Even "cooling system" will work.

- How to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & a DIY for how to replace the aux fan (1) (2) (3) & where is the infamous auxilliary fan Fuse F75 (1) & where is he aux fan relay (1) & an exploding aux fan noise situation (1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E39 Aux Fan Control M62TU M52TU M54.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	453176  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
Bluebee,

Can I set my instruments to monitor the unbufferred coolant temperature instead of outside air temperature. I have played with mine but have not been able to get it to constantly read coolant temperature while driving. I have a 97 528 with only one cluster pushbutton and did not think it was advanced enough to do this.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdlkd View Post
I have a 97 528 with only one cluster pushbutton and did not think it was advanced enough to do this.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=66
Old 08-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
Quote:
Ok JLev, interesting that you say that.... Because I'm 97.67% positive that my aux fan... doesn't work. I've never seen or heard it turn on, unless the sound I THOUGHT was my fan clutch engaging (a heavy mechanical sounding whirl on acceleration) was, in fact, the aux fan... But I doubt it. Unless I'm mistaken and partially ignorant, which certainly has been the case once or twice before, then I don't think the engine can be toasted from the lack of both fans. At least not in a cooling system that is otherwise functioning fully. And assuming the vehicle is not left idling for any length of time more than your typical fast food drive thru...

Also, at what temperature (engine? coolant? oil?) does an E39 begin to experience internal damage?
My experience running no fan for a long time:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=781087&page=2

I also wonder if the AUX fan is really cooling the car.. Anyone want to test a no fan and no AUX fan experiment?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Code/Grease Monkey

Mein Auto: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
...Here's mine, for example:
Someone has a SES on!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Code/Grease Monkey

Mein Auto: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
You should be ok, however if your Aux fan ever fails your engine will be toast in a few minutes. Do you feel lucky?
No different than ANY other car that only has an electric fan, which is a sh!t ton.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
im sure you know already it wont hurt anything as long as that fan doesnt crap out, but your A/C performance ,may suffer in heat and stopped traffic situations..im not sure... the fan/clutch pull alot of air through the condensor and radiator at idle and low rpm

ive tried with the only the a/c fan working and with the electric fan mod and the a/c fan working and the difference in a/c disharge temp is quite noticable even without having a guage in the vent ..

id rather have two fans... one for a back up ...you never know
Old 08-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540i
I wouldn't recommend to anyone to drive an old bimmer without fan clutch in a hot weather if the temperature is below 70F maybe for a short distance case scenario you may not see an immediate damage to your bimmer but on long run you see it, a friend of mine was driving a 03 Range Rover that had a 4.4 v8 bimmer engine for a week with a leaking coolant tank the car never over heated but had to top it off every 2 days he finally got a new coolant tank installed at the dealer ship and 4 months later he had to change VCG, timing chain gaskets, and few more to stop an major oil leak, spark plus and all the coils was off
Good luck

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app