Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
Thoughts on 2011 X3 exterior/interior design

So I have had a chance to sit in two euro spec X3 this month (one stripped down white x28i and one black loaded x35i), here are some of my thoughts on the design of the vehicle. I used to own a 2005 X3 and currently drive a 328xi wagon.

Exterior impression:
First impression is wow, this is a "man size" SAV now. Some say it's almost the same as first gen X5. I am not sure if it's true but the back view certainly looks bigger. I would say front and back views are much better, side view is questionable. The two large creases are very polarizing. On photo I hated them, but in person they actually don't look so bad. The C and D pillars don't look very good. The back window line between C and D looks like a hurry up job, does not have the typical BMW hofmeister kink look. I think they would look back if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that. The white Xenon angle eyes look really nice. The front bumper is a little busy, the tailgate looks professional. I don't like the 18" 307 and 19" wheel design, they are just too busy. I liked the 17" 306 (5 spoke) design but wish they come in 18 or 19". Run flat tires still a poor choice. Comparing to last gen X3, exterior has improved but still doesn't look as nice as Q5.

Interior:
I would say interior is vastly improved comparing to last gen X3. I really like the fact they are going back to 4 gauge setup (instead of small one inside the large ones). The gauges are of good size and layout, LCD trip computer looks nice, I noticed the bottom half the dash is one LCD and it lights up depending on features. Nice touch.

I also like the driving position and roomy backseats. The center stack is nicely done. iDrive screen is well integrated in relation to rest of dash board. Center console is wide. Cup holders are finally properly done. I would option for Sport seats and steering wheels. The stock steering wheel while nice, it a tad too thin. 8 spd automatic now is the same as other late model BMWs, i.e. like a joystick. Coming from a traditional steptronic user, I think it will take some getting used to. The availability of brush aluminum trim is great, I woudl get that with dark interior color.

Sunroof is smaller than before, but still big. Luggage area is noticeable bigger. When folded, there is a large cargo area. I think you can fit a refrigerator in there (not that I would do so).

Other random impressions:
I love the new aluminum roof rail (finally on par with Audi). White angle eye/Xenon looks awesome. The price seems to be reasonable (as long as dealers don't mandate MSRP).

of course none of this matters if driving impression does not stack up to, at least in my opinion, a good package so far.

What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
I sat in the white one at my dealer on Saturday (did not have the black one). I found the standard seats to be comfortable and the back seat to have adequate room for adults.

The interior looked nice although I find the black leather to be a little boring and will go with either the chestnut or mojave, depending on the exterior color I choose.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu34740 View Post
So I have had a chance to sit in two euro spec X3 this month (one stripped down white x28i and one black loaded x35i), here are some of my thoughts on the design of the vehicle. I used to own a 2005 X3 and currently drive a 328xi wagon.

Exterior impression:
First impression is wow, this is a "man size" SAV now. Some say it's almost the same as first gen X5. I am not sure if it's true but the back view certainly looks bigger. I would say front and back views are much better, side view is questionable. The two large creases are very polarizing. On photo I hated them, but in person they actually don't look so bad. The C and D pillars don't look very good. The back window line between C and D looks like a hurry up job, does not have the typical BMW hofmeister kink look. I think they would look back if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that. The white Xenon angle eyes look really nice. The front bumper is a little busy, the tailgate looks professional. I don't like the 18" 307 and 19" wheel design, they are just too busy. I liked the 17" 306 (5 spoke) design but wish they come in 18 or 19". Run flat tires still a poor choice. Comparing to last gen X3, exterior has improved but still doesn't look as nice as Q5.

Interior:
I would say interior is vastly improved comparing to last gen X3. I really like the fact they are going back to 4 gauge setup (instead of small one inside the large ones). The gauges are of good size and layout, LCD trip computer looks nice, I noticed the bottom half the dash is one LCD and it lights up depending on features. Nice touch.

I also like the driving position and roomy backseats. The center stack is nicely done. iDrive screen is well integrated in relation to rest of dash board. Center console is wide. Cup holders are finally properly done. I would option for Sport seats and steering wheels. The stock steering wheel while nice, it a tad too thin. 8 spd automatic now is the same as other late model BMWs, i.e. like a joystick. Coming from a traditional steptronic user, I think it will take some getting used to. The availability of brush aluminum trim is great, I woudl get that with dark interior color.

Sunroof is smaller than before, but still big. Luggage area is noticeable bigger. When folded, there is a large cargo area. I think you can fit a refrigerator in there (not that I would do so).

Other random impressions:
I love the new aluminum roof rail (finally on par with Audi). White angle eye/Xenon looks awesome. The price seems to be reasonable (as long as dealers don't mandate MSRP).

of course none of this matters if driving impression does not stack up to, at least in my opinion, a good package so far.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the update. Doesn't your cell phone have a camera? lol

I didn't understand this even though I read it 3 or 4 times:

"I think they would look back if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that."
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Thanks for the update. Doesn't your cell phone have a camera? lol

I didn't understand this even though I read it 3 or 4 times:

"I think they would look back if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that."
Sorry typo :-). I meant to say I think they would look BAD if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu34740 View Post
Sorry typo :-). I meant to say I think they would look BAD if you optioned for chrome window sill like in XLine package. I would probably go without that.
kk I tried to substitute words like black (1 letter off) but it did not make sense. lol

I like the z-line package.