Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 11
'11 X5 5.0, more observations

Week and a half of driving, couple of observations and questions:

Doors
Setting is on for 'unlock all doors', however after full stop and turning engine off rear doors remain locked, front once require to pull 2 times from inside, what am I missing?

GPS
1. Doesn't auto switch to Night mode?
2. How do I set Home?
3. Mine is off by 30 or so feet, missed exits in busy intersections. How to calibrate or bring to the dealer?

Orange Display under Nav
Of course I am interested in passenger temperature setting but how do I change what displayed there?

Winter wheels\tires
Aware that there are tons of threads. Anyone succeded finding decent wheels/tire/TPMS combo for under 2K for sport activity package? Please PM if this was already answered.

Love the sound of the engine, especially on take off. Need to own gas station.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I'll preface this by saying I haven't taken delivery of my 2011 yet, so I am basing this on my 2008 X5, but the "unlock all doors" refers to what happens when you press the unlock button on your remote. You can set it to unlock all doors or just the driver's door. I don't think there is a feature where the doors unlock automatically when you park the car.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by batym View Post
Week and a half of driving, couple of observations and questions:

Doors
Setting is on for 'unlock all doors', however after full stop and turning engine off rear doors remain locked, front once require to pull 2 times from inside, what am I missing?

Thanks
I've got a 2010...

I think under the lighting options in iDrive there is a setting for door locks.

Tim
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Casual Fan

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by batym View Post
GPS
1. Doesn't auto switch to Night mode?
For some baffling reason it doesn't auto-switch. There is a setting to change it manually which I programmed to the "6" key.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E70 MSport CarbonBlk
Doors do not unlock, you have to choose not locking them at all or unlock manualy after stop

The arrow in NAv is off about 50ft it is by design, do not no why but it is the same on all 3of my BMWs

I don't no about gas station, but an oil weel would be nice

Previous BMW's
2008 E60 550i sport Alpine White
2005 E60 530i sport Black Sapphire
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Tomorrow I will be receiving my new x5 50i!
Can't wait!

The doors did the same on my current 335xi you have to pull 2 times.
Nav is usually dead on so not sure why your is off, but I can compare tomorrow.
Winter tires yes, what a pain! I actually bit the bullet and spent 3K but really nice looking MRR wheel and Pirelli Scorpion combo. Will post pics once installed.

Did I mention I cant wait until tomorrow?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Not sure why you would want the doors to unlock themselves. E.g. you are in a really sketchy part of town, when you shut the motor off. Do you really want the car to decide on its own that it's okay to unlock the doors and let any random person jump into the car? The two door pulls is a BMW tradition, and really not that big of an inconvenience. I find the system on a friend's Cadillac to be much more of a pain - door pulls don't work at all, you have to use the button to unlock the doors. (Even with the X5, you always have the option of using the unlock button on the dash if you want it).

Regarding the NAV night mode: when would you like it to switch? Anytime the headlights come on? Note that your headlights will come on lots of times when you feel it is still daylight: for example, when the sun is low in the sky. I would find it annoying to have the NAV display jumping back and forth between modes during normal driving.

You almost certainly received an owner's manual with your X5. The answers to the rest of your questions can be found there. (I have the PDF version on my desktop, and the procedure for setting the Home address is covered on Page 224. Lots of other useful stuff there as well.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Not sure why you would want the doors to unlock themselves. E.g. you are in a really sketchy part of town, when you shut the motor off. Do you really want the car to decide on its own that it's okay to unlock the doors and let any random person jump into the car? The two door pulls is a BMW tradition, and really not that big of an inconvenience. I find the system on a friend's Cadillac to be much more of a pain - door pulls don't work at all, you have to use the button to unlock the doors. (Even with the X5, you always have the option of using the unlock button on the dash if you want it).

Regarding the NAV night mode: when would you like it to switch? Anytime the headlights come on? Note that your headlights will come on lots of times when you feel it is still daylight: for example, when the sun is low in the sky. I would find it annoying to have the NAV display jumping back and forth between modes during normal driving.

You almost certainly received an owner's manual with your X5. The answers to the rest of your questions can be found there. (I have the PDF version on my desktop, and the procedure for setting the Home address is covered on Page 224. Lots of other useful stuff there as well.
1) Quackberry is correct, this is a longstanding BMW tradition (the 2 pull). I find it annoying, but some german engineer could tell you why it is better I'm sure.

2)The nav should change to night mode automatically and that is annoying...as to when it should change, that's easy...when the sun sets! It is an online system, the time can change throughout the year, this would be easy to do. I have a Magellan GPS I bought for $70 and it does this!

3) The manual is a great resource