Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-12-2004, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
AUX Input Anyone?

Anyone have the glovebox auxilliary input installed? It shows on the main website as a 40$ option. I was wondering if anyone uses it.

Also, has anyone installed it themselves, or should I let the dealer do it? I'm adept at car mods, especially electronics. I'm guessing it's just an adapter plugin and then mounting position.

I have the NAV system (car is ordered) and need to do something outside of the changer in the back. That tape system really confuses the hell out of me. Who uses tapes anymore? And a changer in the back is okay, but I'd rather have something like an IPOD mounted up front or something along those lines.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Tom
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer
Anyone have the glovebox auxilliary input installed? It shows on the main website as a 40$ option. I was wondering if anyone uses it.

Also, has anyone installed it themselves, or should I let the dealer do it? I'm adept at car mods, especially electronics. I'm guessing it's just an adapter plugin and then mounting position.

I have the NAV system (car is ordered) and need to do something outside of the changer in the back. That tape system really confuses the hell out of me. Who uses tapes anymore? And a changer in the back is okay, but I'd rather have something like an IPOD mounted up front or something along those lines.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Tom
If you do a search of the forum on "IPOD" you'll see pleny of links and DIY on this (at least with the three series). It "seems" pretty straightforward on the E46. I have the accessory and am thinking about doing it. I've never ripped apart a BMW but have done CRXs and Corolla back in my younger days. A lot more comfortable to rip apart a 5K car.

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 01-12-2004, 06:57 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer
I installed it, tested it, and never used it (I was planning on using it for XM, but with 2000 CD's on board in a PhatBox now, I decided I didn't need it).
Quote:
I installed it myself (way back before it was available in the US, so the dealer couldn't/wouldn't install it). It isn't that hard, particularly since you have an X5 (I think) - on the E46, you have to use a special tool (or a steak knife ) to release some clips to release the monitor.
Quote:
I have the NAV system (car is ordered) and need to do something outside of the changer in the back. That tape system really confuses the hell out of me. Who uses tapes anymore?
At the time (just before the 2003 models were released), the explanation was that there wasn't enough clearance behind the monitor in the X5 for the slightly-deeper CD unit, and since that version of the X5 was close to end-of-model (I guess they thought that with the new 5's there would be a new X5) they didn't want to re-design the dash.
Quote:
And a changer in the back is okay, but I'd rather have something like an IPOD mounted up front or something along those lines.
Consider a PhatBox - it can hold all of your music (I have 2000 CDs in mine) and you control it from the existing stereo / steering wheel controls, and it talks to you to announce artist and album names. You can see some info on it at my BMW page, and the manufacturer's web page is here.