Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: White 1995 325i
Need a small favor...

I snapped a bolt on my suspension a while ago and forgot about it until now, so I was hoping someone would have a couple laying around.

I can toss a couple bucks for shipping obviously. Let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: -02 530 & -92 325is
Just get one from the nearest hardware store. As stated, it's a metric M12x20 and will not cost you more than $1-2 each.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
+1 to ^

Its just a bolt, doesnt have to have the BMW stamp on it to work

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Except I want the same grade bolt. If I wanted just a normal bolt I would get one out of my buddy's machine shop.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
You can buy many different grades of bolts at most hardware stores. Use grade 10.9.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-08-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
You can buy many different grades of bolts at most hardware stores.
Not in metric around me.

Last edited by EuroDriven; 07-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Warm Leatherette

Really? I find that hard to believe.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Really? I find that hard to believe.
Ok then. What hardware stores are you talking about specifically and can you show me that they offer multiple grades? It is hard enough to find metric hardware around here.

Do you shop for hardware around WNY much?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Warm Leatherette

No, but I have lived in many cities and towns in different parts of the country, and have always been able to find a fastener retailer, even in small towns. Finding metric has never been an issue for me. I have found multiple fastener retailers in Rochester, NY that are worth calling. Use the Googles. Pick up a phone. Or you can just go to BMW of Rochester and get the part there. I mean, it's a bolt and will cost nothing even at a dealer - probably less than you would pay to ship a used bolt from someone here.

Have you spent much time at hardware and/or fastener stores?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
No, but I have lived in many cities and towns in different parts of the country, and have always been able to find a fastener retailer, even in small towns. Finding metric has never been an issue for me. I have found multiple fastener retailers in Rochester, NY that are worth calling. Use the Googles. Pick up a phone.

Have you spent much time at hardware and/or fastener stores?
Yeah dude I have spent years in machine shops. If you are talking about the fastener stores like fastenal...you need to buy in bags of 100 or have commercial accounts.

Do you think I am a retard or something. Why do you all your posts towards me seem condescending?

Maybe I am too used to the Audi community, where if someone needed something people would help him out. I have sent people around the country countless bolts and hardware for projects from my part outs for free to help them out. I just wanted to see if anybody had any laying around like I said in my first post. I know how to buy things...

Last edited by EuroDriven; 07-08-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGutmannnn View Post
Do you think I am a retard or something. Why do you all your posts towards me seem condescending?
Condescending? Try this:

Quote:
Do you shop for hardware around WNY much?
Saying that I find it hard to believe that you cannot find an M12x20 grade 10.9 bolt locally for a few dollars is not condescending. We're not talking about a special or unique part here. We're talking about an M12x20 bolt... There is no way you cannot find that locally for the same price or less than it would cost someone here to ship you a used bolt.

Rather than doing things the hard way and getting defensive, maybe you should take the advice given above and actually try calling a few fastener/hardware stores.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-08-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM

The local True Value here in Dayton, OH have M12 8.8 and 10.9 bolts as part of the standard inventory. I would imagine the one in Buffalo to have the same. If not, it should be an easy thing for them to order.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Lowels or Home Depot baby they have grade 8 bolts in many sizes and metric too I know I have seen em. If you've worked or working in machine shops then you can probably find one there. I to have worked in many machine shops from automotive to making Military F-22 parts. If I looked real hard in any of the shops I worked at I could probably find a bolt just like the one you need. Besides why would you want one of us to ship you a used bolt that would cost more to ship then going and buying a new one for less. I guess you don't see the point we're trying to make, you want us to help you out? We are by tell you the lest expensive way to get your problem solved. Have you tried the wreaking yards? They probably wouldn't even charge you for something like that besides you could find a whole bunch more parts you may need. It's just that easy.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Forever Nerd!!

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
John, I can go to Debbie Supply here in Rochester and meet you half way?

1995 325i, 235K miles (yes!), 5sp, LSD, M3 cat back, halo projectors, H&R/Bilstein/etc. suspension overhaul, painted sideskirts...Oh now it's white...plasti-dip... snap.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Condescending? Try this:

Saying that I find it hard to believe that you cannot find an M12x20 grade 10.9 bolt locally for a few dollars is not condescending. We're not talking about a special or unique part here. We're talking about an M12x20 bolt... There is no way you cannot find that locally for the same price or less than it would cost someone here to ship you a used bolt.

Rather than doing things the hard way and getting defensive, maybe you should take the advice given above and actually try calling a few fastener/hardware stores.
I have called a few hence, me asking. I wouldn't just ask without trying to find one first. I have tried obvious places such as Home depot, ace hardware, STI, fastenal, and a few mom and pop shops. All with no luck, a few places told me they don't even carry metric hardware. (Even though I found out they do after looking). I also tried talking to a couple private machine shops I have connections at.

I wouldn't go to BMW of Rochester because I live 70 miles from there. I called the BMW dealer in Buffalo this morning who said they come in packs of 25 so I would need to get 25 of them all at once. So I called the BMW Dealer in Rochester 10 mins ago who said they come in packs of 1, so I called the Buffalo Dealer back who also said they come in packs of 1.

Per granlunds suggestion I looked up true value (never heard of this place before), but the guy who answered didn't know what M12x20 means...So that's when I called the dealer back as stated above.

I don't think me asking that is condescending. I have lived on the west coast and east coast and thing are very different. I would rather have an OSH (dunno if they have that in Seattle) then anything I have around there since they have a huge array of anything you need hardware wise. Also, as a side note, I realized McDonalds Dollar menus are different between east and west coasts, just to prove a point about regions with the same places.

I think the condescending part is you telling me to use Google and a phone after I already called half a dozen places. Not to mention I can't drive to these places to pick the hardware up anyways.

@Time2Fly: when I lived in Rochester I couldn't find any yard that had ANY euros in them. Also, not sure how yard are out there, but in WNY if you need anything from under a car you better bring a crane to lift the cars up or a back hoe to dig under the cars. Nothing like the Pick 'n Pulls in San Jose.

Also a padded envelope ~$1.00 postage for a couple bolts vs. ~$2.00 each from the dealer. If someone had a part out with a bunch of bolts left over I have a list of bolts I need since the previous owner didn't put bolts or screws back into anything he took apart. I have yet to find any screws holding anything together in the interior, so even 50 cents each for these would be way too expensive if I need 10 or 20.

I know I always edit my posts, but I talk a lot. After doing some googling, I didn't realize there were so many hardware suppliers around. Doesn't help unless they will deliver it to me or I can find someone to drive me though. About the condescending stuff, if I am condescending then tell me, and I can try to stop. I don't realize when I am a dick half the time until people tell me. It's just my natural behavior. I am not concerned with how someone intends something to come across as, it's how it actually comes across as. If you look at my posts I only respond in a negative attitude when I feel like that's how others respond to me. I don't just go into other people's threads and go all ethug. My experiences I posted was from places I had previously done business with. Mostly ordering 1/4x20 hardware for high precision robotics applications, so I figured my existing list was sufficient. But in my defense, saying "look at a hardware store" doesn't do much good.

Last edited by EuroDriven; 07-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM

John, you do seem to have made an effort of looking for M12 bolts even though it did not come out that way in the initial posts.

I've had luck finding metric bolts and nuts in every True Value I've been in (which are a few spread out over the eastern half of the country). It seems like it's part of their standard inventory even though they don't have very much of the 10.9 grade. However, far from every store associate knows about metric and some even think it's french stuff from 'yourup' that isn't used here.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granlund View Post
John, you do seem to have made an effort of looking for M12 bolts even though it did not come out that way in the initial posts.

I've had luck finding metric bolts and nuts in every True Value I've been in (which are a few spread out over the eastern half of the country). It seems like it's part of their standard inventory even though they don't have very much of the 10.9 grade. However, far from every store associate knows about metric and some even think it's french stuff from 'yourup' that isn't used here.
Thanks. If somebody had initially made a post similar to your suggestion I would have immediately called. I am not sure what grade the bolts are so that's why I never said I want XXX grade. I just want something OEM.

Now that the part dept at BMW told me I can get JUST 1 bolt I may get it from there. I wasn't interested in having 2 dozen more then I need. Though, I am still interested in finding somebody with a part out since I need parking break shoes for inspection and would rather not spend a bunch since I have an AutoBox which has this magical "P" option. I also need some bolts for the rear brake line brackets.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM

It's most likely 10.9 grade since the torque value of 110Nm is higher than the 8.8 yield. However, be aware that M12 comes in three different pitches 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75 (mm/turn). Remove one of the bolts and bring it with you to visually compare the pitch since neither the service manual, nor RealOEM mentions which one it is.

If you order from BMW, you would obviously get the correct pitch.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granlund View Post
It's most likely 10.9 grade since the torque value of 110Nm is higher than the 8.8 yield. However, be aware that M12 comes in three different pitches 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75 (mm/turn). Remove one of the bolts and bring it with you to visually compare the pitch since neither the service manual, nor RealOEM mentions which one it is.

If you order from BMW, you would obviously get the correct pitch.
I would be willing to guess it's 1.5, but this is one of the reasons I just wanted to stay OEM. Like I said though, unless I can find someone with a part out I will likely just go to the dealership now since it will only be $1.40 for 1 bolt. That's the cheap part, I still need to get the broken part out. But hey, this gives me a reason to get an extractor set and/or a tap and die set depending on how it goes.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM

And we lived happily ever after!!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Warm Leatherette

All that fussing and he ends up doing what was suggested in the beginning (picking up a phone)... Problem solved (obviously). Aaaaand, I'm out.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM

D'oh!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
All that fussing and he ends up doing what was suggested in the beginning (picking up a phone)... Problem solved (obviously). Aaaaand, I'm out.
What are you talking about. I did most of that before it was even suggested to pick up a phone. Not my issue if the dealership gives me false info.

Last edited by EuroDriven; 07-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
What are you talking about. I did most of that before it was even suggested to pick up a phone. Not my issue if the dealership gives me false info.
Lets just review: in the end, picking up the phone resulted in you finding a bolt for $1.40...

It was only a matter of time, and speaking to someone who knows what they are talking about. My advice was sound. I don't know why you have to fight such plainly obvious stuff like this.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.