Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003, X5 - 3.0.
Temperature Gauge

So I was reading through here and found a few threads with the same issue, temperature gauge after a couple of minutes shooting right up and pinning at hot.
BUT no overheating, just the gauge, and the light on the gauge doesn't light up. I turned the car off and immediatly back on and the gauge was in a more normal place.
I have the definitive fix, replace the thermostat. It's the whole housing and thermostat joined together, a biotch to do since the fan has to come off but it fixes the problem. I initially thought it was the temperature sender unit that sits in the bottom rad hose, bought one, easy unplug and replace, took 3 minutes but it did nothing. Replaced the thermostat yesterday and we all good. I should have figured it out since the temperature was running cooler than normal after switching the car off and back on. now it's back running right dead center of the gauge.
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Thank you for this i have the same problem but when the engine actually does heat up the gauge will drop to cold then rise up to where it should be
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: x5
temperature gauge

i do have the same problem iwill replace the thermostat if it work i will let you know
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Monkey Wrencher

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport 5spd
Thermostat will definitely fix this. Taking the fan off isn't that bad. You just need the gigantic 32mm open end wrench. You can get it at Sears. My local auto parts stores didn't carry it.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 AM

temperature gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpi View Post
i do have the same problem iwill replace the thermostat if it work i will let you know
yes i did change the thermostat and the probleme solve > it took me about 2 hours and it is done

Last edited by spiderpi; 12-11-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 AM

temperature gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpi View Post
yes I did change the thermostat and the probleme solve > it took me about 2 hours and it is done