Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-25-2010, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: E39 - 528i - 1998
Check Engine light -- Peake FC Table 11 Code 41

Greetings BMW Gurus!

On 11/12/11, as I was driving the Check Engine light lit up on my 528i. I did a quick google search online and subsequently ordered a Peake R5/FCX diagnostic/reset tool to find out what the actual underlying problem is.

The Peake tool arrived last weekend and I had an opportunity to use it today.

The Peake showed only one (1) code. Table 11 Code 41. The Peake manual says Code 41 is "Camshaft sensor". Doing a little more googling reveals multiple parts to the camshaft sensor for the E39.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...osition+Sensor

Quote:
Camshaft Position Sensor
Pulse Generator
Use with (1) 12 14 1 748 398 O-Ring
Year: -9/1998

Camshaft Position Sensor
Intake Pulse Generator
Year: 9/1998-

Camshaft Position Sensor
Pulse Generator Exhaust
Year: 9/1998-
There seems to be three parts: 1) Pulse Generator, 2) Intake Pulse Generator, and 3) Pulse Generator Exhaust

Please help. I fully admit that I'm not a "car guy" at all. I'm not well versed with mechanic's lingo. I purchased the Peake tool precisely because I didn't want to be conned/scammed by unethical mechanics who might prey on my ignorance of car maintenance/repairs.

I've done some googling/reading and my car's symptom is consistent with others who may have had an issue with replacing camshaft sensors. Most notable is that the car does not seem to change gears (mine is an automatic) from 1st to 2nd very well lately. It kind of stays in 1st for an excessive amount of time and then will eventually engage into 2nd and the car will lurch/lunch forward. It does not do this every time, but it has happened multiple times now.

Additionally, there is a strong odor coming out of the exhaust. It smells like bad car pollution. There's no black fumes coming out, still pretty clear, but the smell is not right. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that it reeks of pollution. Initially I thought perhaps the O2 sensor was bad, but the Peake tool did not indicate any other error besides the code 41.

Any advice would be greatly and sincerely appreciated. I will most likely have to take this to a mechanic to fix as I don't have the tools or skills to fix this myself, but at least I want to know what's wrong with my 528i and understand what needs to be repaired/replaced and what is required of the mechanic before I take it into a shop. I don't want to be raped by an unethical mechanic.

Lastly, I bought my 528i brand new in '98 and have had it ever since. There is about 67,000+ miles on it. It has been regularly maintained, except there may NOT have been a 60,000 mile tune up done (Service II).

Thanks in advance dear BMW gurus!
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I'm no guru, yet, but you car may have two cam position sensors. One for the intake cam, and one for the exhaust cam. The bad smell from the exhaust could be bad catalytic converter, but not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I hope that helps, Happy Thanks Giving!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodRuss View Post
I'm no guru, yet, but you car may have two cam position sensors. One for the intake cam, and one for the exhaust cam. The bad smell from the exhaust could be bad catalytic converter, but not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I hope that helps, Happy Thanks Giving!
Yes, I believe there are two banks (perhaps even 4 banks) of camshaft sensors. I'm definitely confused on this and hope to read my replies. Thanks for your comments and Happy Turkey Day to you too.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I/Stick Blown
You need a new intake cam sensor, it takes 15 minutes to replace.
The smell from your exhaust system is due to the bad cam sensor.
Once the cam sensor is replaced, your engine will run properly and the smelly exhaust should go away since your car still very low mileage.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
You need a new intake cam sensor, it takes 15 minutes to replace.
The smell from your exhaust system is due to the bad cam sensor.
Once the cam sensor is replaced, your engine will run properly and the smelly exhaust should go away since your car still very low mileage.
Thanks 16valex. I'll try googling/searching for a DIY on how to replace the intake cam sensor, but if you have a link or two on hand or know how to quickly locate them, I'd greatly appreciate you posting the links here. If not, no problem, and thanks for your comments. Happy Thanks Giving!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBMW528i View Post
Thanks 16valex. I'll try googling/searching for a DIY on how to replace the intake cam sensor, but if you have a link or two on hand or know how to quickly locate them, I'd greatly appreciate you posting the links here. If not, no problem, and thanks for your comments. Happy Thanks Giving!
What the heck! The turkey is in the oven, three more hours until relatives arrive, I just went outside and took some pictures for you. Here they are.
Picture 1 is the location of the CPS (cam position sensor)
picture 2 is top view of the only Allen screw needed to be removed for R/R
Picture 3 closer shot of CPS

You may have to remove the black banjo oil hose for the VANOS solenoid first in order to gain access to the CPS, you need a 19mm box wrench or socket, watch out for the crush washers, there are two, pay attention to how they're in there.

Remove the one Allen screw to the CPS, then wiggle it a bit while pulling out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam_sensor.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	256051   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPS_Screwhead.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	256052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake_CPS.jpg
Views:	3115
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	256053  
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What the heck! The turkey is in the oven, three more hours until relatives arrive, I just went outside and took some pictures for you. Here they are.
Picture 1 is the location of the CPS (cam position sensor)
picture 2 is top view of the only Allen screw needed to be removed for R/R
Picture 3 closer shot of CPS

You may have to remove the black banjo oil hose for the VANOS solenoid first in order to gain access to the CPS, you need a 19mm box wrench or socket, watch out for the crush washers, there are two, pay attention to how they're in there.

Remove the one Allen screw to the CPS, then wiggle it a bit while pulling out.
Hey 16valex, thanks so much for your efforts on Turkey Day. I really appreciate it.

May I ask why you believe it's the 'intake' sensor, as oppose to either the exhaust censor or the pulse generator? I'm not refuting your suggestion/advice. As I don't know the difference between each of the sensors, I'm just wondering why it's the 'intake' and not the other sensors.

Thanks again! Have a great get-together with your family/relatives.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I'll try googling/searching for a DIY on how to replace the intake cam sensor
My advice is to first go to the bestlinks thread, then do a find (control + f) for what you need. To jump to the next find, hit F3 repeatedly.

Here's what that resulted for me with the search of "cps":
- CAmshaft Position Sensor DIY
- E39 BMW camshaft sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor R&R for '99+.
- M62 Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) replacement as performed on a 1998 BMW 540iA Sport

That's not a lot, so either it's really easy or nobody does it.

To help us, please take pictures when you do your cam position sensor and post the results DIY here for others to benefit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake Side CPS 1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	256071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake Side CPS 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	256072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake Side CPS 3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	256073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Side CPS.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	256074  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
My advice is to first go to the bestlinks thread, then do a find (control + f) for what you need. To jump to the next find, hit F3 repeatedly.

Here's what that resulted for me with the search of "cps":
- The elusive camshaft position sensor (cps) DIY (M62 diy) (diy2) (location)
Thanks for the links Bluebee. It's much appreciated. Happy Thanks Giving!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Hey 16valex, thanks so much for your efforts on Turkey Day. I really appreciate it.

May I ask why you believe it's the 'intake' sensor, as oppose to either the exhaust censor or the pulse generator? I'm not refuting your suggestion/advice. As I don't know the difference between each of the sensors, I'm just wondering why it's the 'intake' and not the other sensors.

Thanks again! Have a great get-together with your family/relatives.
No problem buddy! .
Here is why.
1- your car is 98-528 single VANOS intake cam shaft variables only, and thus you only have one CAM shaft position sensor.
2- Intake Cam sensor is the same as intake pulse generator (crazy mad scientist German terminology )

With all that said the bottom line is CAM position sensor is the same as pulse generator.
Make sure you buy OEM sensor only, don't buy the cheap crappy sensor from Chinese made. ASk me how I know.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Just wondering ...

I was wondering why the cps/vanos/thermostat wire wasn't in those pictures!
- How bad is this mistake in putting my cooling system back together?

Also, while the Peake R5/FCX diagnostic/reset tool is probably fantastic, I wonder ... would a normal cheap $30 diagnostic scanner have resulted in the same information?
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes
- OBD II PC freeware & $15 J1962 cable for the BMW E39
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Here is a detailed cam position sensor DIY for i6 (intake). Not sure for the exhaust.
I know that it would be a good idea to replace both sensors though - one done, the other one will follow in its footseps. Also, make sure you get OEM parts, not Chinese or any other aftermarket ones - these sensors are very sensitive, and the aftermarket ones usually don't work correct, or if they do, they won't last.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No problem buddy! .
Here is why.
1- your car is 98-528 single VANOS intake cam shaft variables only, and thus you only have one CAM shaft position sensor.
2- Intake Cam sensor is the same as intake pulse generator (crazy mad scientist German terminology )

With all that said the bottom line is CAM position sensor is the same as pulse generator.
Make sure you buy OEM sensor only, don't buy the cheap crappy sensor from Chinese made. ASk me how I know.

Happy Thanksgiving!
16valex, I googled some more and it seems 1998 is an interesting year for 528i's when it comes to CPS. It turns out that e39's manufactured thru 9/1998 have only ONE sensor and cars manufactured after 9/1998 have two sensors: intake and exhaust.

My car is manufactured 4/98, so indeed I only have one camshaft sensor.

When you say OEM, will this qualify?

It's 12 14 1 703 221 SIEMENS - VDO OEM, so I presume it's made in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Here is a detailed cam position sensor DIY for i6 (intake). Not sure for the exhaust.
I know that it would be a good idea to replace both sensors though - one done, the other one will follow in its footseps. Also, make sure you get OEM parts, not Chinese or any other aftermarket ones - these sensors are very sensitive, and the aftermarket ones usually don't work correct, or if they do, they won't last.
Thanks doru for the link. I've determined that I only have one camshaft sensor so I only need to replace one.

Siemens OEM ok? eactuning.com has it for $84.04.

I've seen several posts recommending eactuning.com for parts. Any other online parts vendors you guys/gals want to recommend?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Also, while the Peake R5/FCX diagnostic/reset tool is probably fantastic, I wonder ... would a normal cheap $30 diagnostic scanner have resulted in the same information?
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes
- OBD II PC freeware & $15 J1962 cable for the BMW E39
A little late for my use now Bluebee as I've already purchased mine. But I wanted a Peake because I wanted the ability to reset the Inspection/Service lights. Nevertheless, thanks for the links.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM

MotoBMW528,

Quote:
Siemens OEM ok? eactuning.com has it for $84.04.
This should work. Jared or Mark will take care of you
Old 11-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Just an update. I ended up purchasing from Autohaus Arizona as they had good ratings & the lowest price.

Order date: Nov 26, 2010 7:14 AM PST
Google order number: 515
Shipping Status Qty Item Price
Not yet shipped 1 VDO-Siemens Camshaft Position/Reference Mark Sensor; Camshaft Position/RPM Sensor - 1998 BMW 528I $78.92
1 DPH Camshaft Position/Reference Mark Sensor; O-Ring for Reference Sensor, 17x3mm - 1998 BMW 528I $0.93
Shipping & Handling (UPS Ground) : $0.00
Tax (CA) : $0.00
Total: $79.85

VDO-Siemens CPS + o-ring FREE shipping. Out the door cost $79.85.

Now I wait for the parts to arrive and see if I can try it myself. If not, then I'll take the part to the mechanic ask them to replace/install these two items.

What is a fair price to pay for their labor if need be?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
1998 has the different numbers of CPS as that was when the change from M52 to M52TU was made; the VANOS was changed from single (intake only) to double (both exhaust and intake). The dual VANOS means there's two variable cams who's position needs to be measures.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
1998 has the different numbers of CPS as that was when the change from M52 to M52TU was made; the VANOS was changed from single (intake only) to double (both exhaust and intake). The dual VANOS means there's two variable cams who's position needs to be measures.
Right. And the cut off date was 8/98. Those 528i's manufactured thru 8/98 had one CPS and those manufactured after 8/98 required two CPS: one intake and one exhaust.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 AM

Another updated:

The VDO Siemens CPS arrived today. The sensor is made in Slovenia. I've never before purchased an item made in Slovenia. Hope it lasts.

This sensor is a tiny little thing. I didn't expect it to be so tiny. Pretty expensive for such a small part.

Won't have a chance until next weekend to try my hand at replacing the malfunctioning CPS.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 AM

[

Quote:
Won't have a chance until next weekend to try my hand at replacing the malfunctioning CPS
What! Did I say it only takes 15 minutes!

Any how, we'll appreciate your update.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
bottom line is CAM position sensor is the same as pulse generator
Every couple of days, I add a new definition to the comprehensive E39 list of technical terms and descriptions - and this post was just added, thanks to you.
- Pulse Generator = another name for the cam position sensor (CPS)

Thanks for adding to the tribal knowledge. This list, AFAIK, is the best on the Internet, for BMW E39 technical acronyms & definitions.

BB
Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
[

16valex, 15 minutes for an experienced hand such as yourself.

For a total newbie--who don't even have the right tools--I'm hoping it'll be less than 5 hours!

Wish me luck... Maybe I'll take a quick look this weekend but this weekend is pretty busy so I won't be doing much work on the car.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
[

Ok. I finally have some time to take this beast of a problem--at least a beast given my abilities. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it! I don't even have tools to do the job.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I don't even have tools to do the job.
You will after doing a few of these DIYs.

Each DIY, you build up the tools you find you need.

Over time, you don't need anything but the specialized tools.

- Tools needed for working on a BMW E39 (buy them when you buy the car!)
Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You will after doing a few of these DIYs.

Each DIY, you build up the tools you find you need.

Over time, you don't need anything but the specialized tools.

- Tools needed for working on a BMW E39 (buy them when you buy the car!)
I can't continue until I buy the required tools.

I'm getting a 32 mm open ended wrench.
I'm getting a 36 mm socket.
Both from Amazon. Earliest they'll arrive to me is Wednesday. And if it's delivered via UPS, it'll get here past darkness, so I won't be able to work on it until Thursday.

This is not fun. This endeavor is starting to cost a lot more than I originally anticipated.

BlueBee, if you calculate the cost of research for doing any of these DIY, it's actually extremely expensive to do this. Unless you like doing this because it's a hobby, it's actually more expensive to DIY than to take it to an Indy.