Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 11-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745i
Thumbs up How To Replace Door Handle (Comfort Access)

Please read entire directions before starting this job. Make sure you disconnect the battery as you will be dealing with the SRS system. Also make sure the window of the door you are working on is rolled up all the way. Level of difficulty is 5. Estimated time is one hour. This DIY is for the driver side front door handle.

Lets get started!
  1. Remove the plastic cover on the front area of the door panel to access the philips screw underneath
  1. Unscrew the philips screw and place it in a safe location.
  1. Remove the square plastic covers to access the torx screws. Be careful with these covers. They are very delicate!
  1. Use a T-25 and socket extention to remove the two torx screws. The screws may not come out, but make sure you unscrew until they turn freely.
  1. Remove the plastic cap on the interior door handle to access the T-20 screw underneath
  1. Remove the T-20 screw and store it in a safe location
  1. Remove the AIRBAG plastic cover to access the T-25 torx screw underneath.
  1. At this point you are ready to remove the door panel. Pull firmly starting at the bottom of the panel. The door is held by plastic fasteners. Using a screwdriver wrapped in cloth you can also pry the panel away from the metal door.
  1. Once the panel is completely free, be careful not to pull too hard. There are still electrical and cable connections to remove. The locking mechanism is also included.
  1. Remove the door latch cable as shown below.
  1. Next remove the white plastic clip connected to the actual door latch.
  1. Gently pull the cable free
  1. Carefully unplug the airbag connector. This may require prying with a screw driver.
  1. Remove the top white eletrical connection for the power window switches,
  1. Place the door panel in the trunk of the car. Trust me, you do not want to damage this item!!
  • Unplug the power supply connector for the door latch (only if you have comfort access)
  1. Remove the door insert by removing 12 fasteners located on the perimeter of the insert. There are 8 white fasteners and 4 grey fasteners.
  1. You will need a 11mm socket and driver to remove these fasteners. All you need is a half of turn and they come right out. Awesome craftsmanship by BMW on this design.
  • Once all have been loosen, pull the insert slighly away from the door to access the door handle. No need to completely remove the insert.
  • With a long flat head screw driver, slide the metal retainer to the right. Be gentle!
  • There is a bend on the retainer designed to prevent it from rattling loose. You must bend this clip straight in order to completely move the retainer to the right and detaching the handle
  • Once you manage to move the clip all the way to the right, the door handle is ready to come out!
  • Pull in an upward motion and carefully remove the handle. No need to apply force.
  • Unplug the LED light connection and door antenna module (Comfort Access only) and remove the handle completely.
  • And there you have it!
  • Here is the replacement part information.

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI
great job

thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
What happened to the pics? Is there anyway to recover them?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
For those who would rather purchase the Special Tooling from BMW than remove the door panel, this process should take less than 15 minutes.

- remove plastic access plug from rear edge of door
- use special tooling per TIS to unlock and pull metal slide towards rear of car (see photo, blue circles highlight the portion that holds than handle in place, though they are slid over in the photo)
- pull handle down, then out
- disconnect light source (fiber optic tube for 2002-2004, LED for 2005-2008) and comfort access electrical connection

Comfort Access handles are common to fail, see SIB 66 03 06 Comfort Access Function is Inoperative. I've personally seen 3 different failure modes; hand sensor fails leading to delayed unlock response, handle antenna fails leading to no door unlock or lock, internal handle short leading to current draw and battery drain.

============================
MODEL
E65, E66 (7 Series) with option 322
Vehicles produced to February 2006

SITUATION
The Comfort Access function is intermittently inoperative. The vehicle doesn't lock or unlock from outside.
There are no faults stored.

CAUSE
Cracked and corroded circuit board inside exterior door handles. The problem occurs at the soldered joint where
wire is attached to the circuit board.

CORRECTION
Install an improved door handle on affected door.
The improved part can be identified by the date on the
label (date is shown in dd/mm/yyyy).
This could be the shipping date (Versanddatum) or the
manufacturing date (Produktionsdatum).
The manufacturing process was changed from
February 16, 2006 on.
All parts from that date on are improved and can be
installed.
============================
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tooling.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	333221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tooling Use.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	333222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locking Mechanism.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	333223  

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
71 60 6 770 096 WARNING TRIANGLE WITHOUT CONTAINER $40
51 16 7 028 437 & 438 MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT & RIGHT, ELECTROCHROM
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
What a complete waste of time.......

this is how you do it in less than 1 minute.....

Last edited by AceFX; 07-25-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 760Li
AceFX, i like the no nonsense approach! Thanks for the post.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
750Li Comfort Access

I have just been notified that my CA on my passenger rear door needs to be replaced to the tune of $1300!!!! Can any point me in the right direction to ordering the correct parts for a DIY?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 li
Door Handle sticking on E65/E66

My door handle was sticking. The dealer told me I would need a new handle ($550 for the part + $150 to match the paint + $200 to install the new handle) for a total repair of $900.
There was nothing wrong with my handle, it just needed an alignment.
The entire procedure took 20 minutes in my garage.

Apparently, the main pin that holds the spring together got out of alignment and the left side was sticking out 1mm more than it needed to.
it was catching on the lever mechanism. I removed the door handle with a very special set of tools that would make Macgyver proud.. No need to buy the $150 toolset from BMW..or wait 4 weeks for it to arrive from Germany.

I used a mechanical pencil with the clip broken off (so it would fit). The pointy end of the pencil helped free the latch. the eraser portion pushed the door release assembly in to release the handle.

I used the back end of a screwdriver to tap the left side of the hinge (the gold parts) that wedge between the aluminum body of the hinge. the gold parts need to be even on both sides for the door handle to function effectively.each side should protrude about 2.5mm for the door handle to have clearance on both sides of the door handle frame.

The hanger made an effective tool for pulling the metal slider back to lock the handle in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	363659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	363660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	363661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	363662  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 760i w/ sport package
Smile Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebelony View Post
Please read entire directions before starting this job. Make sure you disconnect the battery as you will be dealing with the SRS system. Also make sure the window of the door you are working on is rolled up all the way. Level of difficulty is 5. Estimated time is one hour. This DIY is for the driver side front door handle.

Lets get started!
  1. Remove the plastic cover on the front area of the door panel to access the philips screw underneath
  1. Unscrew the philips screw and place it in a safe location.
  1. Remove the square plastic covers to access the torx screws. Be careful with these covers. They are very delicate!
  1. Use a T-25 and socket extention to remove the two torx screws. The screws may not come out, but make sure you unscrew until they turn freely.
  1. Remove the plastic cap on the interior door handle to access the T-20 screw underneath
  1. Remove the T-20 screw and store it in a safe location
  1. Remove the AIRBAG plastic cover to access the T-25 torx screw underneath.
  1. At this point you are ready to remove the door panel. Pull firmly starting at the bottom of the panel. The door is held by plastic fasteners. Using a screwdriver wrapped in cloth you can also pry the panel away from the metal door.
  1. Once the panel is completely free, be careful not to pull too hard. There are still electrical and cable connections to remove. The locking mechanism is also included.
  1. Remove the door latch cable as shown below.
  1. Next remove the white plastic clip connected to the actual door latch.
  1. Gently pull the cable free
  1. Carefully unplug the airbag connector. This may require prying with a screw driver.
  1. Remove the top white eletrical connection for the power window switches,
  1. Place the door panel in the trunk of the car. Trust me, you do not want to damage this item!!
  • Unplug the power supply connector for the door latch (only if you have comfort access)
  1. Remove the door insert by removing 12 fasteners located on the perimeter of the insert. There are 8 white fasteners and 4 grey fasteners.
  1. You will need a 11mm socket and driver to remove these fasteners. All you need is a half of turn and they come right out. Awesome craftsmanship by BMW on this design.
  • Once all have been loosen, pull the insert slighly away from the door to access the door handle. No need to completely remove the insert.
  • With a long flat head screw driver, slide the metal retainer to the right. Be gentle!
  • There is a bend on the retainer designed to prevent it from rattling loose. You must bend this clip straight in order to completely move the retainer to the right and detaching the handle
  • Once you manage to move the clip all the way to the right, the door handle is ready to come out!
  • Pull in an upward motion and carefully remove the handle. No need to apply force.
  • Unplug the LED light connection and door antenna module (Comfort Access only) and remove the handle completely.
  • And there you have it!
  • Here is the replacement part information.

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!
I went through this process for my 2004 760i to replace a window regulator. What a job it was- 7 hours! But now my soft close door feature and power door lock on this door in question now does not work. I think I hooked up the locking latch wrong? When I pull on the door handle, the lock knob does go up. Again- soft close feature and auto lock mechanism with the key faub now does not work. Your thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 760i w/ sport package
Did this repair but now my soft close on this door stopped working as the door won't lock. Please help.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to whatwasthat
Mein Auto: 2003 745i
how do I put the door handle back? one day, my door handle just popped out.. I've seen instructions on how to take it out, but how do I put it back in the easy way (without taking the entire door apart)?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
How To Replace Door Handle (Comfort Access)

Whatwasthat, Did you ever figure out how to do this? I have the same problem.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by MuriVin; 07-19-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwasthat View Post
how do I put the door handle back? one day, my door handle just popped out.. I've seen instructions on how to take it out, but how do I put it back in the easy way (without taking the entire door apart)?
Whatwasthat, did you ever figure out how to repair this? I have the same problem.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM
The Silverback

Re: How To Replace Door Handle (Comfort Access)

Guys the solution was already posted. Read post #5 smh.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM

How to put handle back in.

KingSilver, we are trying to figure out how to put the door handle back in properly. My handle popped out and now I need to know how to put it back in. The video shows how to take it out only. If anyone can let me know how to do this properly I would appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM
The Silverback

Re: How To Replace Door Handle (Comfort Access)

The same way he popped it out is how you put it back in, in reverse. Once you remove the plug holes he's talking about you'll see, shine a flash light in there and you'll see the slide he's talking about, push the slide forward and your handle pops out, put the handle back in place and pull the slide back using a coat hanger and your handle will lock back in place. Once again, slide forward releases handle, slide back locks handle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
The same way he popped it out is how you put it back in, in reverse. Once you remove the plug holes he's talking about you'll see, shine a flash light in there and you'll see the slide he's talking about, push the slide forward and your handle pops out, put the handle back in place and pull the slide back using a coat hanger and your handle will lock back in place. Once again, slide forward releases handle, slide back locks handle.

THANK you very much. I will try it.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post

My rear driver's side door handle stop working as well. I popped the plastic cover off and can see inside but I do not understand what is meant by a slide. I can see a brass colored piece (the sliding part?) that looks like it fits into a silver colored piece below it. The brass piece goes all the way to the back of the door panel and the silver piece that it sits in is further into the door panel. I have tried "sliding" both of these pieces by pushing on them with various tools to no avail. Neither the brass nor the silver piece will budge. Need help, maybe some pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
My rear driver's side door handle stop working as well. I popped the plastic cover off and can see inside but I do not understand what is meant by a slide. I can see a brass colored piece (the sliding part?) that looks like it fits into a silver colored piece below it. The brass piece goes all the way to the back of the door panel and the silver piece that it sits in is further into the door panel. I have tried "sliding" both of these pieces by pushing on them with various tools to no avail. Neither the brass nor the silver piece will budge. Need help, maybe some pictures.

Thanks in advance.
You stare at something long enough you eventually figure it out. The brass fitting is the sliding piece. The one on my car did not slide so easily (hence my confusion on what does and does not slide). I figured it out by taking a hard look at what I could see through the very small access hole (headlamp helps for this). I noticed that the brass piece actually had a small rounded section that looked like something that would bind the handle in place. I marked a spot on the brass piece to make sure it was moving, and used a very specialized tool (a wood drill bit with the flared ends) that allowed me to hook onto the brass piece, and (whack, whack, WHACK with a hammer) off it came. Beauty.

So, now what? I got it off, I can see the cable, but how do I fix it? I thought I would just have to readjust the handle but it looks like its the cable that isn't pulling (maybe stuck at the other end?

Any thoughts? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Check this out
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/7_Se...ex.php?id=1892

Complete guide to removing the door handle. Lots of other good guidance also.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM

I now consider myself an expert in the removal and reattachment of rear door handles on 2002 745i - having taken off and reinstalled both of them.

If you go back to my post #19 you see that I took a ball been hammer to the "slide" to get it to move. It needed it, it was pissing me off so I let it have it.

Although it seemed like a good idea at the time I now know that I was hasty in my decision to use force where a little brain work would have made it a lot easier.

So....

First some basic instruction and correction on how this mechanism works. The door handle is held in place by a fitting that is made up of a plastic body that is molded to the inside of the door body and is attached by one Torx screw and by very thin, and fragile, "lips" on the plastic body (IOW, don't force this piece when taking out of the car or putting it back as the "lips' will break and you will be buying a new piece as without them the plastic body will move into the door, instead of staying in place, when putting the door handle back in making it useless) and the brass colored slide that fits into that molded frame and locks/unlocks that door handle in place.

So....
All you have to do is push the sliding mechanism forward to immediately release the door handle (I think someone said pull back, in the US on 2002 745i's it is definitely push forward to release) and pull back to lock back in place. This technically works like a charm.

But...
Did you ask yourself why there are two specialized BMW tools to get the slide to slide? Probably not, I know I didn't. Well there is a reason for that tool that has the flat end to it (post #4). That flat bar has to go between the brass colored slide and the plastic molded body in order to lift a small locking mechanism (a small rectangular, finger, shaped piece) that keeps the slide from "sliding" around while you are cruising down I95. You have to push that piece just ever so slightly toward the inside of the door so that it lifts over the plastic body and then push on the slide (which may be corroded in place as mine was - then you need a couple of whacks from the hammer). If you don't lift that piece up and instead just whack at it with a hammer you will eventually bend it and the slide will "slide" and the handle will pop out and you will be none the wiser. However, when you go to replace the door handle you will be perplexed as to why the handle will not just go back in and, being 3:00 in the afternoon and not having had lunch, you will push harder. That's when the plastic piece will break and you will now get to search the web for a replacement. Ya see the "finger" got bent. When it got bent the slide didn't actually slide all the way, just far enough so the handle could squeak by the plastic body and pop out. Well, you can pull the handle out and get away with not breaking those plastic lips that hold the top and forward parts in place to keep it from going into the door body. Not so much when pushing it back in ("CRACK" - don't ya love that sound...).

So...
I got the new plastic molded piece for about $80 at BavAuto. The first thing I did was to bend that locking finger up so that it was much easier to pop over the plastic in case I ever need to do this again. To release the one that was in place (on door #2) I used a clothes hanger with a 1/4" bend at the end to try to hook the finger and lift it toward the door body as I couldn't find any tool that would fit behind the slide and lift it out. It wasn;t pretty but the hammer came in handy once I got it slightly lifted up. Once I got the door handle off I bent that locking finger up just a smidge to make it easier next time.

Piece of cake.

Last edited by riff; 10-19-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typos, added info
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post

I just wanted to thank everyone associated with this thread as it was very helpful and in particular aceFX as your one minute video help out today as I took my door handle off

Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
This thread was very helpful for me as well to understand how others were handling this (pun intended). In fixing it, I tried to capture my struggles as well and maybe this is helpful.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post

Hey THX for that video!!! My driver door is acting funny!! Can't arm alarm, Comfort assist not working on that door. Can't arm and disarm with handle have to use the back doors or remote. Use I took off the handle I used some contact cleaning stuff and relube with white grease to help with any water that might come In contact with the plugs. And I'm not saying my problem is fix??? But for today it's working the way it's supposed to:-))). Dose any body knows where is the antenna for the comfort assist is???

2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 745 325
Here is a useful link: http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/7_se...ght_front_doo/

My driver door comfort access did not work. Revealed it was a broken wire. The wires bend each time you pull the handle and eventually they break.