Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
alarm activation w/o alarm

For the 330i (and probably all 3-series, I'd guess), I know the alarm activation and arming can be enabled even if you don't have the alarm. My car flashes its lights in acknowledgement before the clown nose starts blinking. Does anyone know if it's possible to program the car so that it honks too, even though the alarm isn't there? I was told that it'll only honk if the alarm is hooked up...

And if that's true, that the alarm must be present for the horn to sound, does anyone know if, when I hook up the alarm myself, whether the horn feature will automatically enable itself, or will I have to bring it back to the dealership for programming? (I know from previous posts that the clown nose and the lights will remain active.)

TIA.

2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2004, 11:05 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
The horn is not part of the alarm system nor does it sound when the alarm is activated AFAIK.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 01-13-2004, 11:13 PM
custom user title!

Mein Auto: l
no ... you need the alarm unit itself to install ...

after i installed mine it goes "beep" when i lock it (like a lexus) ...

it beeps twice when i unlock it ...

the alarm system does not use the horn in anyway (even when going off) ... so you will need to buy the unit that makes that nice beeeoooobeeeeooooo noise ...

ben
Old 01-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Family Man User

Whoops, I saw the "siren signal" and just thought "horn" for some reason. Okay, that makes more sense then.

BTW, what are the interior and tilt motion sensors? Tilt motion is if the car is disturbed in any way, whether bumped or lifted up, while interior is ...? And how sensitive are these sensors? Could I try to lift my car with my own hands and not set off the alarm?

Old 01-14-2004, 03:16 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Whoops, I saw the "siren signal" and just thought "horn" for some reason. Okay, that makes more sense then.

BTW, what are the interior and tilt motion sensors? Tilt motion is if the car is disturbed in any way, whether bumped or lifted up, while interior is ...? And how sensitive are these sensors? Could I try to lift my car with my own hands and not set off the alarm?
The tilt sensor will set off the alarm if the car is lifted to be towed away. I don't think just bumping the car slightly will set it off. As for the interior motion sensor, that protects against someone entering the car by breaking a window. The interior sensor is located in the mid-roof area (looks like an air vent). The alarm siren, tilt sensor, and interior sensor are all fairly easy DIY projects. The manual describes these features.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
The tilt sensor will set off the alarm if the car is lifted to be towed away. I don't think just bumping the car slightly will set it off. As for the interior motion sensor, that protects against someone entering the car by breaking a window. The interior sensor is located in the mid-roof area (looks like an air vent). The alarm siren, tilt sensor, and interior sensor are all fairly easy DIY projects. The manual describes these features.
A friend mentioned something about the sensitivity of some tilt sensors (in non-BMW alarms, I think) being pretty high. He said that on some alarms, when you're in a multi-level garage, sometimes the rumbling from a heavy car driving by will be enough to set the alarm off. I guess that isn't the case for the BMW one? The tilt sensor only goes off if the car is actually lifted or jacked up?

Is there any way to change the sensitivity on either the interior motion or tilt sensor?

Old 01-25-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
A friend mentioned something about the sensitivity of some tilt sensors (in non-BMW alarms, I think) being pretty high. He said that on some alarms, when you're in a multi-level garage, sometimes the rumbling from a heavy car driving by will be enough to set the alarm off. I guess that isn't the case for the BMW one? The tilt sensor only goes off if the car is actually lifted or jacked up?

Is there any way to change the sensitivity on either the interior motion or tilt sensor?
Most aftermarket alarms have this adjustment. BMW factory alarms aren't user adjustable. If it is even adjustable (which I'm not sure if it even is) you may have to visit the dealer for that.

Correct... tilt sensor is just that... it senses when the car is tilted (like when jacked up or towed).

What your friend is talking about is a "shock" sensor that many aftermarket alarms have. If you kick the car too hard, or pound on the glass, etc. it will set off such an alarm. Many people with such alarms don't adjust the sensitivity, and the alarms will go off when even stock street cars drive by at times.

AFAIK, the BMW factory alarm has door, hood, trunk sensors, a tilt sensor, and an interior motion sensor. That's all. If a ball bounces off the front or rear glass, it may even set off the motion sensor. (But I'm not certain on that one)

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Most aftermarket alarms have this adjustment. BMW factory alarms aren't user adjustable. If it is even adjustable (which I'm not sure if it even is) you may have to visit the dealer for that.

Correct... tilt sensor is just that... it senses when the car is tilted (like when jacked up or towed).

What your friend is talking about is a "shock" sensor that many aftermarket alarms have. If you kick the car too hard, or pound on the glass, etc. it will set off such an alarm. Many people with such alarms don't adjust the sensitivity, and the alarms will go off when even stock street cars drive by at times.

AFAIK, the BMW factory alarm has door, hood, trunk sensors, a tilt sensor, and an interior motion sensor. That's all. If a ball bounces off the front or rear glass, it may even set off the motion sensor. (But I'm not certain on that one)

Wait a minute....I'm confused now reading this thread. When you order a new 3 does it come with an alarm or not?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Wait a minute....I'm confused now reading this thread. When you order a new 3 does it come with an alarm or not?
It does not.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 01-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
It does not.

What? Why didn't they tell me that when I ordered the car? Is it a dealer installed option? I never saw a mention of it on the website either, now that I think of it?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
What? Why didn't they tell me that when I ordered the car? Is it a dealer installed option? I never saw a mention of it on the website either, now that I think of it?

It's a dealer installed option (or you could do it yourself and then just have them code it when you're done).

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 01-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Praetorian

Quote:

It's a dealer installed option (or you could do it yourself and then just have them code it when you're done).

So what does the coded driveaway protection & motion sensor do it their is no alarm to notify passers by that someone is trying to steal or break into your car???????
Old 01-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
So what does the coded driveaway protection & motion sensor do it their is no alarm to notify passers by that someone is trying to steal or break into your car???????
You only get a motion sensor if you purchase, install, and activate an alarm. The coded driveaway protection prevents your car from being "hotwired" and driven away. There is nothing to prevent others from breaking into your car, but the only way for them to steal it is to tow it away. Anyway, when was the last time you did something when you heard an alarm go off?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
You only get a motion sensor if you purchase, install, and activate an alarm. The coded driveaway protection prevents your car from being "hotwired" and driven away. There is nothing to prevent others from breaking into your car, but the only way for them to steal it is to tow it away. Anyway, when was the last time you did something when you heard an alarm go off?

Yeah, that's true maybe it's not worth getting.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:

The owner's manual recommends turning the tilt sensor off when parking in a parking garage or when the car if being transported on a train. This is accomplished by double clicking the key roundel.

The motion sensor is pretty sensitive as I discovered accidentally. I apparently by mistake had set the car alarm on while my car was in my garage. The window were rolled down and I reached into the car to get something. Within a few inches of going beyond where the window glass should be the alarm went off.