Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i E39
Fan Shroud ?

i noticed when i got my 530i that the PO had sautered a part of the expansion tank to the dan shroud or thats what i think it is at least.

& today when i went to check the level of my coolant it "snapped" right off SMH

basically, im just trying to clarify that this IS the fan shroud that broke and that would be the part that i need to replace?

im hoping to have the funds avail now to get a new t-stat and waterpump cause im sure one is leaking, if not both also will be getting hoses, but i think the expansion tank and radiator have recently been replaced as they seem to be in good condition, will know more once i get in there, hoping to have a day of work asap to get to this.

last attatched picture is of the tags on the back of my expansion tank, i cant see a date but it is BEHR made in germany, it looks to be in good condition if its original...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0635.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	344353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0637.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	344354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0639.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	344355  

Last edited by RichDeezy; 10-04-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: left something out
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
That is your fan shroud and from the looks of it, the screw clamp isn't OEM so maybe the expansion tank has already been replaced.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
That is your fan shroud and from the looks of it, the screw clamp isn't OEM so maybe the expansion tank has already been replaced.
so i will be purchasing a new fan shroud, and i had figured the expansion tank had been replaced because as i noticed most original tanks have the white "bobber" stick inside, as mine is red.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
You can zip tie the expansion tank to the shroud to repair this break. See cnn's cooling system overhaul. He broke the same part of the shroud and he ziptied it together.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
You can zip tie the expansion tank to the shroud to repair this break. See cnn's cooling system overhaul. He broke the same part of the shroud and he ziptied it together.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986
NICE, was wondering if that was a necessity to buy new or just mcguyver it lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDeezy View Post
so i will be purchasing a new fan shroud
Take a look at the pictures here:
- Pictorial look at typical E39 cooling system failure modes (1)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Take a look at the pictures here:
- Pictorial look at typical E39 cooling system failure modes (1)
have been glancing through all your threads as of late BLUEBEE thank god for all your pictorials

quick question..... as im buying parts for my cooling overhaul, do the lower radiator hose and water pump come with the o-rings or are those a seperate purchase.?

ALSO

is it strange to be leaking a good amount of coolant and not have any check engine light or anything?

Last edited by RichDeezy; 10-04-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
NICE, was wondering if that was a necessity to buy new or just mcguyver it lol.
I've suffered almost the same fate. I got careless and managed to crack my fan shroud in the same location although it hasn't broken all the way across and separated. I've tried a repair with a Permatex radiator repair kit of fiberglass cloth and epoxy. It seems to have bonded well, but is less than a week old. Time will tell if it holds.

If you don't fancy the zip tie, you may be able to do the same as I did and patch the broken part back in. There isn't much force on this section and it may hold; especially if you remove the shroud and lay in the fiberglass cloth and epoxy on both sides.

OTOH, a brand new shroud is only ~$45. The repair isn't saving much money.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Mine is broken in the same place. It's just resting on the CPS plug. Will be fixing it this weekend, probably with a zip tie.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
Quote:
have been glancing through all your threads as of late BLUEBEE thank god for all your pictorials

quick question..... as im buying parts for my cooling overhaul, do the lower radiator hose and water pump come with the o-rings or are those a seperate purchase.?

ALSO

is it strange to be leaking a good amount of coolant and not have any check engine light or anything?
Yes, they do come with orings. No need to buy more.
Yes, At the point that the Expansion Tank is nearly empty you will get a "Check Coolant Level" warning.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
That link you saw above (MacGyver) is from May 2006.

Since then I have modified my ziptie thingy a bit so it looks more elegant LOL....

- Tip the reservoir toward the engine a bit to expose fan shroud.
- Use a Nail (because there is no room for a drill bit) and gently make 2 holes for ziptie.
- Then feed the ziptie through the holes you just made.
- Re-position the reservoir.
- Bring the ziptie around the reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reservoir.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	344429  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
do the lower radiator hose and water pump come with the o-rings or are those a seperate purchase.?
Yes. Typing /cooling F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links I find this complete pictorial parts list (read the whole thread as a few niceties were added in later posts):
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul parts to replace (1) (2) (3)

Quote:
Hmmm... coolant never leaks in, so, eventually, you'll have to run low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
I ... managed to crack my fan shroud in the same location
Someone in Massachusetts, I think it may have been Fudman, or someone else in the cold country, also managed to do the same. There were pictures of the fan shroud zip-tie fix in his thread. It might be in the pictorial-failures thread; otherwise we'd have to search for how he zip tied it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
OTOH, a brand new shroud is only ~$45. The repair isn't saving much money.
I'[m sure the fan shroud it there for a reason (safety? air flow?) but I wonder if anyone runs sans a fan shroud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
Yes, they do come with orings. No need to buy more.
What he said. You'll find PLENTY of pictures of the hoses and how to remove them by typing /hose F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links which finds, among others these cooling system mistakes (all of which I've made!):
- How not to remove the large radiator hose connector spring clips (1)
- How NOT to replace your M54 lower radiator hose coolant temperature sensor (1)
- How not to remove the nipple from the E39 radiator (broken radiator nipple)
- How not to put your E39 fan clutch back on (crooked fan clutch nut)
- How not to bleed your E39 cooling system (1) (broken bleeder screw)
- How not to replace your E39 thermostat (thermostat loom misplaced)
- How not to remove your E39 expansion tank (broken expansion tank nipple & cn90 repair)
etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM

thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.. i still cant locate the leak at the moment but am purchasing hoses, WP, and T-Stat to replace what i can afford...

but i NEVER have the LOW COOLANT light even though it appears to be nearly empty maybe ive just been watching it well, and re-filling in time.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
CN90, I couldn't find reply button for your superb post on cooling system overhaul you wrote, so I provide feedback here on the excellent advice quality of that post (tons better than the bmw shop manual! Thank you! I can navigate the forum a bit better now and find it is a superb forum with folks who really know their stuff -and that's important as these cars are fairly complex, not especially designed for easy disassembly, -or for durability of some of the parts. Thanks again!