Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
The sound system

Is it that bad,,,,,, I was in a fully loaded x6 with premium sound and it seemed pretty loud. what i wanna know is does the x3 have the same premium sound package as the x6 and is it just as good
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FAN95 View Post
Is it that bad,,,,,, I was in a fully loaded x6 with premium sound and it seemed pretty loud. what i wanna know is does the x3 have the same premium sound package as the x6 and is it just as good
All depends on your perspective I guess. I am used to higher fidelity and the fact that they use 4 inch speakers tells volumes in the audiophile world.

A speaker of that size cannot create a good range of sound no matter how many tricks you employ.

I think the hi end sound system in the X3 is one of the worst sound systems I have ever heard in my life let alone the "business" one. However, there are those that seem perfectly happy with overypaying for convenience over sound. and imo they are sadly misinformed.

Here's the rub: for what they charge for factory installed "premium sound systems" I can have a state of the art one with all the same functionality and more.

For example: My sound system runs roughly $2k has accessabilty to Pandora, Sirius/XM, HD, iPod, CD and video with the same steering controls that are currently installed. The fidelity as measured by a techtronix scope military spec is much flatter and cover the full audio range.

Bottom line though is that even BMW sales people's jaws drop when I ask them to hop in my SAV and listen. There is a marked difference. And it's not because its louder. It sounds cleaner.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-30-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Bottom line though is that even BMW sales people's jaws drop when I ask them to hop in my SAV and listen. There is a marked difference. And it's not because its louder. It sounds cleaner.
But do you think it sounds better than the Pioneer 8 Track I had in high school?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
All depends on your perspective I guess. I am used to higher fidelity and the fact that they use 4 inch speakers tells volumes in the audiophile world.

A speaker of that size cannot create a good range of sound no matter how many tricks you employ.

I think the hi end sound system in the X3 is one of the worst sound systems I have ever heard in my life let alone the "business" one. However, there are those that seem perfectly happy with overypaying for convenience over sound. and imo they are sadly misinformed.

Here's the rub: for what they charge for factory installed "premium sound systems" I can have a state of the art one with all the same functionality and more.

For example: My sound system runs roughly $2k has accessabilty to Pandora, Sirius/XM, HD, iPod, CD and video with the same steering controls that are currently installed. The fidelity as measured by a techtronix scope military spec is much flatter and cover the full audio range.

so premium sound is not worth it,,,,, thanks for the info now i know the 875 dollar option is crap
Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Technically we (in the US) already get the Hi-Fi sound system as standard equipment with 12 speakers and 2 subwoofers. The Professional Hi-Fi system seems like a bargain at $875 but if money was an object, it's one of the first options I'd drop.

Ev, you should hear the true base sound system on my pop's 2010 X5. It sounds worse than anything offered stateside in the X3. And the X5 is $60k.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-30-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
But do you think it sounds better than the Pioneer 8 Track I had in high school?

Depends on what you were smokin' back then
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
so premium sound is not worth it,,,,, thanks for the info now i know the 875 dollar option is crap
Wait wait wait. lol It's not that I disagree with EE because he clearly explained that some are happy with it.

I actually agree with EE that it depends if you are an audiophile or not. I am not an audiophile but I also don't like crap sound so I never even bothered to listen to the regular when I chose premium. I think the premium is Harmon Kardon...if I'm correct. Well let me tell you...I think it sounds great to my ears. I'm perfectly happy with it. But like EE said, I'm no audiophile. I listen to a wide range of music including some with bass and I really like it. I'm not the type that wants my car vibrating or bouncing from the bass so maybe I'm just not that picky.

I guess sometimes not knowing what you are missing creates happiness. It's the same way there are people in 3rd world countries that are happy as heck but we might be miserable there.

So you know what you demand for happiness...follow that.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Wait wait wait. lol It's not that I disagree with EE because he clearly explained that some are happy with it.

I actually agree with EE that it depends if you are an audiophile or not. I am not an audiophile but I also don't like crap sound so I never even bothered to listen to the regular when I chose premium. I think the premium is Harmon Kardon...if I'm correct. Well let me tell you...I think it sounds great to my ears. I'm perfectly happy with it. But like EE said, I'm no audiophile. I listen to a wide range of music including some with bass and I really like it. I'm not the type that wants my car vibrating or bouncing from the bass so maybe I'm just not that picky.

I guess sometimes not knowing what you are missing creates happiness. It's the same way there are people in 3rd world countries that are happy as heck but we might be miserable there.

So you know what you demand for happiness...follow that.
Why does everyone presume that good sound means whomping bass. Quite the opposite. It means a flat even response, it means being able to tell that the guitar is on the left of the stage, or that the third violin is slightly out of tune.

You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate good sound...you just need to know the difference. It is like the kid that has always listened to mp3 players is suddenly exposed to a clean good recording on vinyl that is analog and not digital and his/hers eyes light up.

My point is that being duped into spending $875 or $3k for a technology pkg is just that a convenience and not real sound.

If you are happy with that that --- its is OK, but its like serving a good burger on your best china. I prefer prime rib on it when I bring out the good tableware.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-01-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Why does everyone presume that good sound means whomping bass. Quite the opposite. It means a flat even response, it means being able to tell that the guitar is on the left of the stage, or that the third violin is slightly out of tune.

You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate good sound...you just need to know the difference. It is like the kid that has always listened to mp3 players is suddenly exposed to a clean good recording on vinyl that is analog and not digital and his/hers eyes light up.

My point is that being duped into spending $875 or $3k for a technology pkg is just that a convenience and not real sound.

If you are happy with that that --- its is OK, but its like serving a good burger on your best china. I prefer prime rib on it when I bring out the good tableware.
Good points.

I guess I can be a bit of an audiophile when it comes to home theater.

When it comes to good sound for music, I guess each person has different paremeters. I can tell if a system is good (for me) if:
1. The bass, even when loud, sounds like a type of music instead of just a vibration.
2. When the volume or the bass is raised, the other sounds are not distorted by the strong bass.

I guess I can appreciate distinct sounds...just not in a car.

I like HK by the way.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 AM

i guess im the person that would take the option becuase if i dont it will be crappier
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
i guess im the person that would take the option because if i dont it will be crappier
Yeah. When I chose premium, I wanted the best they offered. To me that was good enough. I guess EE is saying there are better deals etc but particularly at that time, I wouldn't have wanted anyone messing with my car. I wanted everything done by BMW.

The sound is good...to me...but again, maybe if I had heard better it would make me sad...the same way we are pleased with HDTV now...maybe one day we will demand 3D...lol

HDTV is better than regular but until you experienced it you didn't need it. Now you are stuck...lol.

This time I may be more gutsy to go with non-BMW for Rear Entertainment though...BMW is too conservative.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah. When I chose premium, I wanted the best they offered. To me that was good enough. I guess EE is saying there are better deals etc but particularly at that time, I wouldn't have wanted anyone messing with my car. I wanted everything done by BMW.

The sound is good...to me...but again, maybe if I had heard better it would make me sad...the same way we are pleased with HDTV now...maybe one day we will demand 3D...lol

HDTV is better than regular but until you experienced it you didn't need it. Now you are stuck...lol.

This time I may be more gutsy to go with non-BMW for Rear Entertainment though...BMW is too conservative.
I would suggest an iPad for the rear entertainment. There are nice inexpensive bracket mounts and you can take it with you when you aren't in the car. Since it doesn't use mechanical components it will not be subject to shock like a dvd player.

I was originally going to build a hard drive based system, but realized that the iPad would do all that and more for less.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
I would suggest an iPad for the rear entertainment. There are nice inexpensive bracket mounts and you can take it with you when you aren't in the car. Since it doesn't use mechanical components it will not be subject to shock like a dvd player.

I was originally going to build a hard drive based system, but realized that the iPad would do all that and more for less.

iPad is the BEST rear seat entertainment option out there.

As far as premium sound option is concerned...waste of money in my opinion. But I'm of the mind that you can't ever really get good sound in a car. I don't like that car stereos are louder while the interior of the car is getting more sound insulation. Kinda dangerous.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
The big difference is wattage.

The X5/6 premium sound package is around 600 watts, standard is around 200 watts.

The new X3 sound system comes with 200 watts upgradable to 600watts.

The X3/5/6 have large cabins and need the wattage and better speakers so you don't have to max the amp out with a lot of distortion.

The low end system disappoints people that like medium to loud volume levels. The low end system was not designed for this application.

If you are an audiophile, well you simply won't be happy with anything except a system you custom built yourself. (-:

Last edited by sdbrandon; 12-02-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
The X5/6 premium sound package is around 600 watts, standard is around 200 watts.
The X5 5.0 is 200 watts, the 3.5 power is not specified.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:

The ipad system doesn't have that clean look to me and the holder seems gimmicky. If you want someone to use the internet, you can just hand them one to put on their lap.

My main concern though is that I don't consider it a system unless both can play the same movie at the same time. My favorite set up is the one in the headrests. I don't know why they got rid of that. It doesn't look tacky, take up space or obstruct vision.

Do you have a way they can both (ipad) play the same thing?

I was thinking if they can truely find a way to integrate a PS3, and the car really is a mobile hotspot, that would provide online TV, blueray playing, games and internet browsing. That would be cool.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The ipad system doesn't have that clean look to me and the holder seems gimmicky. If you want someone to use the internet, you can just hand them one to put on their lap.

My main concern though is that I don't consider it a system unless both can play the same movie at the same time. My favorite set up is the one in the headrests. I don't know why they got rid of that. It doesn't look tacky, take up space or obstruct vision.

Do you have a way they can both (ipad) play the same thing?

I was thinking if they can truely find a way to integrate a PS3, and the car really is a mobile hotspot, that would provide online TV, blueray playing, games and internet browsing. That would be cool.

Buying an iPad for the wife for Xmas (she doesn't read this so I'm good---I hope) you should be able to play from an iPad to another screen --- I can do it with an iPod.

Will let you know after Xmas. And yes to all the abilities. That is what I am shooting for.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Buying an iPad for the wife for Xmas (she doesn't read this so I'm good---I hope) you should be able to play from an iPad to another screen --- I can do it with an iPod.

Will let you know after Xmas. And yes to all the abilities. That is what I am shooting for.
Ipad 2.0 is rumored to be coming out in April and it is supposed to have 2 cameras and a fix to some problems. I thought you said you never buy first editions of things. lol I'd wait if I were you but I don't know what's missing besides te cameras but some do...bottom line, the second one will be better.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Ipad 2.0 is rumored to be coming out in April and it is supposed to have 2 cameras and a fix to some problems. I thought you said you never buy first editions of things. lol I'd wait if I were you but I don't know what's missing besides te cameras but some do...bottom line, the second one will be better.

I don't it's for the wife
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I don't it's for the wife
If you don't want the cameras, you are probably OK. a lot of stuff witll probably be accessible through software updates. The kids of things they can't update that way are speed, memory, screen resolution, battery life, etc. They have to come up with some gimmick besides the cameras. Oh...maybe they will allow it to shoot not only pictures but video...now that would be cool. I'm sure it will be leaked ...either they do it on purpose to create a buzz or their loyalty and security suck.

BTW, I commented on 3D TV. I saw it for the first time yesterday at Best Buy. It was absolutely awesome! I've never seen anything like that before. I thought there would be different depths within the screen but it really is coming out of the screen. When the water came at me and hit the goggles and went down, wow...I was impressed. The red eye blue eye stuff was garbage and never really impressed me much...this is different. Wow.

Like everything...if more people were getting them the price would come down. It kinda sucks. What has to happen is they have to come out with something better thus driving the price down which would lead more people to buy it which would allow the price to come down further (making same profit with smaller margin but selling more). So what is better than 3D? IDK...lol
Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
What's wrong with asking the kids to look at scenery on a road trip? That's how I grew up. No video games, computer games, rear entertainment systems.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
What's wrong with asking the kids to look at scenery on a road trip? That's how I grew up. No video games, computer games, rear entertainment systems.
I like the Rear Entertainment system partially because it makes you feel like you have options...partially because it makes your car feel high tech and partially because most people don't get it so it lets you add some uniqueness to your car.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I like the Rear Entertainment system partially because it makes you feel like you have options...partially because it makes your car feel high tech and partially because most people don't get it so it lets you add some uniqueness to your car.
And unnecessary expense that isnt multifunctional.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 AM

do they even have one as an option on the x3
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
And unnecessary expense that isnt multifunctional.
Yeah...if it was necessary, everyone would have it and it wouldn't be special. Some people like to feel like their cars are a little unique. Too bad "Pimp my ride" isn't on the east coast. lol