Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Ordering X3 xDrive35i this week!

I got to check the new X3 out when they had a demo at Rasmussen BMW last week. I think it's pretty stunning. I wasn't a big fan of the older versions, but the new one looks like a beast! Can't wait to drive it.

On Order:
Alpine White
Black Leatherette
Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Congrats!!

But one thing I wont get in my next X3, is definatly Leatherette. I will get the leather option. Dunno if it's the cold weather here, but my Leatherette cracks easiely in my E83(i'm on the 2nd set changed under warranty, and it started to crack again a little bit)...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: .
Congrats on new car, but... why such "basic" combo? No power tailgate? No Comfort Access? I know such options cost extra $$$, but they are extremely convenient, and more useful than, for example, the "cold weather package" (which is useful only a few months/year, or even less, depending on yearly climate changes).
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Congrats on new car, but... why such "basic" combo? No power tailgate? No Comfort Access? I know such options cost extra $$$, but they are extremely convenient, and more useful than, for example, the "cold weather package" (which is useful only a few months/year, or even less, depending on yearly climate changes).
Funny, cause a power tailgate is an absolutely useless option for me(had it on my '07 Passat wagon), and I hated it. While the cold weather package is a must for me. I guess options comes down to personal prefenrences.......
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Funny, cause a power tailgate is an absolutely useless option for me(had it on my '07 Passat wagon), and I hated it. While the cold weather package is a must for me. I guess options comes down to personal prefenrences.......
Wagon is a little bit lower in height than an SUV, even the compact one And I'm not surprised about your cold package preference considering the Weather.com shows that the (today's) day-time average temperature for your area is 26F (or -3C)

Last edited by AlexK; 12-01-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
Quote:
The chances of more things breaking down will be higher when you add things like these. IMO, it is not that hard to close the tailgate on the X3, and the Comfort Access system only comes on the two front doors. If it came with the rear doors as well, then I think it is more worth it.

To the OP, congrats on your order. Did you upgrade your wheels to the 19" for the Sports Package?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Did they fix the herky jerky transmission problems?

Did they fix the bumpity bump bump suspension?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Very interested in the new model. Have seen it and like the layout and features, but will never buy one without driving it.

I was told none to drive until Jan. Did you have the opportunity to drive one?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
the Comfort Access system only comes on the two front doors. If it came with the rear doors as well, then I think it is more worth it.
I have CA on my current lease (not X3), and yea, it is front doors-only, but most of the time I drive alone, and I set it in iDrive menu to "open/close all locks" (not sure about the exact wording of that option) anyway, so when I touch the handle on front doors the rear doors also unlock. I find it really convenient - I remove the car's key (it's separated from other keys) out of the pocket of my pants only when I need to wash the pants. Less wear on key itself, less chance I might leave/drop/misplace it somewhere
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
I'm with you...lol The Power tailgate and "Comfort Access" were 2 options I knew I definitely didn't need and would have been hoping to save money on had they not packaged it with other things I would want. They are things I don't have now and I can do without them.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
I have CA on my current lease (not X3), and yea, it is front doors-only, but most of the time I drive alone, and I set it in iDrive menu to "open/close all locks" (not sure about the exact wording of that option) anyway, so when I touch the handle on front doors the rear doors also unlock. I find it really convenient - I remove the car's key (it's separated from other keys) out of the pocket of my pants only when I need to wash the pants. Less wear on key itself, less chance I might leave/drop/misplace it somewhere
Interesting.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
Quote:
I don't like wasting money on (to me anyway) "useless" luxury items. It's not like closing my tailgate manually is such a big deal anyway.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu34740 View Post
It's not like closing my tailgate manually is such a big deal anyway.
Of course it's not a big deal, but... it's convenient. In certain situations (however rare they may be), it's much easier to slightly touch a single button instead of trying to apply enough force with enough "free" area of your hand (which might already be gripping something else) to close the rear gate. Of course, I wouldn't want such option on my 3-series sedan, simply because I (or anyone else, regardless of age/sex/height) can close teh trunk on it pretty easily with almost any part of my body

Last edited by AlexK; 12-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Nice choice of colour and options. With the new turbo engine, the X3 is gonna have a lot of speed to it now.

Might I suggest Aluminium trim instead of the IKEA wood trim? And the PDC ($750) is probably a good idea.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
Congrats. The driving experience is amazing. I went to the factory for the "unveiling" and PCD experience. That is one fast, extreme-handling little SAV. You'll love it.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Why such a basic combo? I guess because I'm not a feeble little girl.

But seriously, I have no need for all that other stuff. None of those convenience features tempt me in the slightest. Power tailgate seems like one of the laziest options you could possibly get. I'm 32 and not so helpless that I can't close my own doors. Comfort Access, for me at least, is a solution to a problem that I've never experienced.

My car should be two things; fast and safe. Everything thing else is just frivolous noise. If I'm not going to enjoy it, or even take advantage of it, why should I pay for it?

I am debating the Dynamic Handling package though. My SA hasn't been able to explain much about it though. Still have to do some research on that.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Nice choice of colour and options. With the new turbo engine, the X3 is gonna have a lot of speed to it now.

Might I suggest Aluminium trim instead of the IKEA wood trim? And the PDC ($750) is probably a good idea.
I saw the wood trim in the demo car last week and thought it looked 10x better than the wood in my 3 series. And in the X3 cockpit, I think aluminum makes the car look a little too Japanese.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Congrats!!

But one thing I wont get in my next X3, is definatly Leatherette. I will get the leather option. Dunno if it's the cold weather here, but my Leatherette cracks easiely in my E83(i'm on the 2nd set changed under warranty, and it started to crack again a little bit)...
Agreed but with a caveat, if it is the same kind of leatherette as in current X3 then definitely a no, I am on my second seats too with them. But, if they changed the leatherette to what it is on 3ers now then I will be okay with it. FWIW, the new leatherette in 3 looks so very close to leather and it doesn't crack in winter. My brother-in-law has it in his 3 and he drives with highest heat in winter, not a single crack after two winters.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Agreed but with a caveat, if it is the same kind of leatherette as in current X3 then definitely a no, I am on my second seats too with them. But, if they changed the leatherette to what it is on 3ers now then I will be okay with it. FWIW, the new leatherette in 3 looks so very close to leather and it doesn't crack in winter. My brother-in-law has it in his 3 and he drives with highest heat in winter, not a single crack after two winters.
Ah, good to know. The leatherette look/feel soooo cheap in the E83.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
Why such a basic combo? I guess because I'm not a feeble little girl.

But seriously, I have no need for all that other stuff. None of those convenience features tempt me in the slightest. Power tailgate seems like one of the laziest options you could possibly get. I'm 32 and not so helpless that I can't close my own doors. Comfort Access, for me at least, is a solution to a problem that I've never experienced.

My car should be two things; fast and safe. Everything thing else is just frivolous noise. If I'm not going to enjoy it, or even take advantage of it, why should I pay for it?

I am debating the Dynamic Handling package though. My SA hasn't been able to explain much about it though. Still have to do some research on that.
Same as me, I want someting fast/affordable for my next SUV, and the F25 fits my bill. I have no care really for all the gadgets/Options like HUD, back camera, ect.....

I dont think I would get the dynamic handling, sounds expensive to fix once out of warranty, lol.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
I dont think I would get the dynamic handling, sounds expensive to fix once out of warranty, lol.
Good point. But I usually trade in after the warranty expires.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Ah, good to know. The leatherette look/feel soooo cheap in the E83.
I had leatherette in my '09 3-Series that was just totaled. I actually thought it looked and felt pretty nice. It's surprising to me that BMW still offers leatherette as standard when other brands in this class have already made leather standard.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
I had leatherette in my '09 3-Series that was just totaled. I actually thought it looked and felt pretty nice. It's surprising to me that BMW still offers leatherette as standard when other brands in this class have already made leather standard.
Japanese have made leather standard but not Germans. Mercedes still comes with leatherette they just call it "artico leather". Audis still have cloth standard in Europe, they just offer their high end stuff here.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Japanese have made leather standard but not Germans. Mercedes still comes with leatherette they just call it "artico leather". Audis still have cloth standard in Europe, they just offer their high end stuff here.
I don't think of leatherette as high end.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I don't think of leatherette as high end.
Agreed. But I suppose it keeps the cost of admission down.