Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
How can I tell if my 2008 X3 is 'pre wired' for Sirius? (without bringing to dealer)

How can I tell if my 2008 X3 is pre-wired for Sirius?

It does not have NAV system.
It DOES have a shark fin antenna.
It does not have a Sirius logo anywhere on the head unit. It just says Business CD.

Is there any way I can tell on my own without bringing it to the dealer?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 PM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
First off,I have not seen an '08 without a shark fin antenna.
There is a web site that you can find out from the last 7 of the vin
to see if you are Sirius ready.
Check inside the left rear compartment and try to find 3 harnesses with the connectors covered in a foam package,they are the Sirius plug ins.
Search Sirius on this site and you will find lots of info.
Good luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Ok, here is a picture of the wire bundle that I found in the left rear compartment. If this appears to be the correct wiring for Sirius, am I to assume that my radio head unit is properly equipped as well? It says "Business CD". The reason I ask is b/c I don't see anything that says "Sirius" or even a Sirius logo anywhere on the radio. Usually, there's a button or something with a logo on other vehicles that I've seen. I would hate to get the tuner only to find out that my radio isn't compatible.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Sonoman707 Sonoman707 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Healdsburg, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 682
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguymr View Post
Ok, here is a picture of the wire bundle that I found in the left rear compartment. If this appears to be the correct wiring for Sirius, am I to assume that my radio head unit is properly equipped as well? It says "Business CD". The reason I ask is b/c I don't see anything that says "Sirius" or even a Sirius logo anywhere on the radio. Usually, there's a button or something with a logo on other vehicles that I've seen. I would hate to get the tuner only to find out that my radio isn't compatible.

Looks like you are "SAT" prepped. If you bought a Sirius receiver unit - it would mount in the back where you located the wiring bundles. Once connected - you would access by hitting the mode (?) button on your radio. It would cycle thru CD, RADIO, AUX, SIRIUS. The regular "Business CD" head unit is all that is needed (no Sirius logo, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 AM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Yes,you are all set.You will not be using the large connector and you may have to modify the antenna connector to get it to push on all the way.I did this a couple of months ago.
The only other thing it mentioned on the other threads was pulling the head and swapping a plug on the back.I did not have this addition plug on my '09.Because my receiver was already activated from my last vehicle it was just plug and play.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 AM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-po View Post
Yes,you are all set.You will not be using the large connector and you may have to modify the antenna connector to get it to push on all the way.I did this a couple of months ago.The only other thing it mentioned on the other threads was pulling the head and swapping a plug on the back.I did not have this addition plug on my '09.Because my receiver was already activated from my last vehicle it was just plug and play.
This is the part I'm concerned about. I believe the part I need is called a 'curry antenna connector' but I cannot find them anywhere. Do you know were I can obtain this part?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2010, 06:15 AM
John320 John320 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario,Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
When I put one in my 08, I had also purchased the instillation kit. #84-11-0-390-240
The kit had the mounting bracket, bolts, and the new adapter ($50.)

Last edited by John320; 12-02-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 AM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
You can either remove the white plastic casing or cut a notch out of it to allow it to slide past the brown connector on the receiver.
__________________

Last edited by X3-po; 12-21-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-po View Post
You can either remove the white plastic casing or cut a notch out of it to allow it to slide past the brown connector on the receiver.
I'm not sure I see how this would work. Seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole (literally).

Here's the back of the Sirius unit. I believe the antenna connector is on the left. I would need to obtain the right type of connector to put on the cable/wire so that it plugs in properly, no?

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
That brown antena connector on the left is the same as the one in my picture.You can unsnap the white casing off of the antenna lead and it will work.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-po View Post
That brown antena connector on the left is the same as the one in my picture.You can unsnap the white casing off of the antenna lead and it will work.
Got it and I will probably have to end up doing it this way, but if anyone can tell me where I could find JUST the curry antenna connector (without buying the whole installation kit) that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
On the BMW E83-sirius. pdf there is a part # for the curry connector.Should be able to order it locally.

Last edited by X3-po; 12-21-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
One more question (for now ) before I get ready to install the Sirius unit.

When I remove the radio head unit from the dash to swap out the 12 pin connector, will the OTHER twelve pin connector be easily located/found behind the radio or is this something that has to be dug up from further behind the dash/console?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-13-2010, 05:11 PM
John320 John320 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario,Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Yes to easily found, it is right beside the one in use
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 AM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Yet another question I really hope all these questions help somebody else out one day.

Is it REALLY necessary to disconnect the battery prior to doing this installation? The reason I ask is because there doesn't seem to be the need to handle any sort of bare wires. It's just the wire harnesses in the back of the vehicle that connect to the Sirius unit and then the single harness behind the radio/head unit.

Thanks AGAIN in advance
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 AM
X3-po's Avatar
X3-po X3-po is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2009 X3
I dont think it is necessary to disconnect the battery,just leave the radio off and the key out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
I'm happy to report back that the installation went smoothly.

I was able to obtain the curry antenna connector as well as 3 clip nuts that were needed to attach the mounting bracket to vehicle from the dealership parts department all for a few bucks.

Everything functioned perfectly once connected.

Thanks again for everyone's input / help.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM
reed75 reed75 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 2006 X3
This maybe a silly question but where did you buy the Sirius receiver and how much are they? Is there a certain one needed or are they all the same? Been thinking about adding this to my X3.. just not sure what all I need to get it up and running as far as receivers go. Also, how did you get the radio out of the dash to swap connectors?

Last edited by reed75; 12-20-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM
niceguymr niceguymr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed75 View Post
This maybe a silly question but where did you buy the Sirius receiver and how much are they? Is there a certain one needed or are they all the same? Been thinking about adding this to my X3.. just not sure what all I need to get it up and running as far as receivers go. Also, how did you get the radio out of the dash to swap connectors?
I purchased it 2nd hand from a member of this forum who was selling his unit that he took out of his car before selling it, however, I was told that he purchased it from European Auto Source (http://www.europeanautosource.com/). I believe they come in different 'kits' that include the necessary mounting hardware and/or connectors for each different car model. The entire kit which includes the Sirius tuner sells at that website for $599 (new) but I've seen then go for anywhere between $200 - $300 on the used / internet market (try Ebay).

Here's the link from EAS:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=278

And here's a link to a recent Ebay listing where one sold for $265.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=278

My only recommendation if you're buying it 2nd hand is to be sure you know what's included as you may realize that you don't have 'everything' you need to install it. For example, I ended up having to purchase a connector plug for the antenna and a few clip nuts from the dealership, but they were only a few dollars. Nonetheless, I needed those parts to complete the installation.

Taking out the radio was very easy. I even found a video on Youtube that explains/shows it in excellent detail. It took literally 5 minutes to remove the radio, replace the connector, and then replace the radio. I was surprised given my lack of technical skill with things like this. Here's the video:

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 PM
seismik seismik is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Sirius and Aux input

This is the closest thread I can find for what I'm looking to do. I have an 07 that I want to put Sirius in. Seems like if I go with the BMW Sirius kit I mount it in the back but then have to swap cables behind the head unit that disconnect the AUX input? Is that right or will I still have AUX available?

If I did want both what is the best option? Reading fairly mixed reviews on the DICE units. I don't care if I can control an iPod directly but would be nice to have AUX for the rare occasions when I do want to play something off my phone.

Thanks,

Seismik

PS. if anyone has a good recommendation on a source for a Sirius kit new or secondhand would love to have it!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 AM
John320 John320 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario,Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
you still have the AUX
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by seismik View Post
This is the closest thread I can find for what I'm looking to do. I have an 07 that I want to put Sirius in. Seems like if I go with the BMW Sirius kit I mount it in the back but then have to swap cables behind the head unit that disconnect the AUX input? Is that right or will I still have AUX available?

If I did want both what is the best option? Reading fairly mixed reviews on the DICE units. I don't care if I can control an iPod directly but would be nice to have AUX for the rare occasions when I do want to play something off my phone.

Thanks,

Seismik

PS. if anyone has a good recommendation on a source for a Sirius kit new or secondhand would love to have it!
Here are the install instructions for the Sirius if that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X3 Sirius Install.pdf (227.3 KB, 143 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM
seismik seismik is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Thanks - that does help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms