Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
The Joys of BMW Ownership

Well, I cranked her up this morning only to have a CEL. Pulled the codes and looks like faulty IAT sensor (which was replaced as part of recall only a few months ago). And something about EGR flow insufficient. DPF? EGR valve sticking? IDK. Runs normal and getting 23 mpg.

Will send the DW off to the dealership on Monday (soonest I could get an appt.) to see what they say.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

Trouble always comes in 3's. A couple weeks ago my mbz can't shift out of first, my scooby has a messed up front diff that I've got in the garage currently waiting on parts...now this.

Fixing cars must be the fun part of ownership because that's all I've been doing lately...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation
DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

good luck

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
Smile

Whoever said this said it best: “Sell not your liberty to gratify your luxury.” Nothing like temporary lock-down courtesy Bavarian Motor Works! But look at the opportunity... so much to learn.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline540i View Post
Whoever said this said it best: "Sell not your liberty to gratify your luxury." Nothing like temporary lock-down courtesy Bavarian Motor Works! But look at the opportunity... so much to learn.
Believe me, if the current loss of liberty and luxury continues, I may be looking for an additional less luxurious, more reliable form of liberty. And certainly not a Jeep diesel variant! Whew! What are we talking about again?

Marlbro--already knew that but probably a good idea for others who may not.

Will give an update when I know more.

Last edited by diesaroo; 12-02-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
We want codes.We want codes.We want codes.We want codes.We want codes.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Five is Right Out!

Well I aim to please...sort of. I don't have the exact codes in front of me but IIRC when I scanned it with my OBDII reader the morning of...there was an IAT sensor code and an EGR valve insufficient flow code.

Anyways, the EGR valve is being replaced but will have to come from den Vaterland. So it is about a week away. In the meantime, we are driving a 128i loaner. Kinda small, but the dealership has been swamped with the recent 7-series recalls. No joke...I think there were like 25-30 7-series all lined up when we dropped it off.

I suppose if you drop six figures for a car, you are given better loaners than the five figure bourgeoise that we all are.

Will report back when I know more.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Five is Right Out!

Well, I just got my X back yesterday after about a month of being in a loaner. They had to replace the intake air temperature sensor, egr valve, and egr cooler.

The reason it took so long was the part was backordered until just a few days ago.

The plus is that I have less miles and salt on my X.

Runs fine now.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
I certainly hope your loaner for the month was another x5 or higher model, if not I would of been pissed.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
I certainly hope your loaner for the month was another x5 or higher model, if not I would of been pissed.
128i.... mentioned that earlier

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Five is Right Out!

Actually, we had the 128i for about 2 weeks. They were able to upgrade us to a brand new 328i for the last 2-3weeks. It would have been nice to get an X3 as a loaner, but given that my local dealer and I have a tepid relationship, I wasn't expecting them to roll out the red carpet.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM

At least they upgraded you to a 328. My dealer is 100 miles away from me and will come over to pick my X5 for servicing, lets see what loaner he drops off. I felt it convenient, the dealer picks up and drops off the car but the only concern is they will put like 200 miles on it.

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsk View Post
At least they upgraded you to a 328. My dealer is 100 miles away from me and will come over to pick my X5 for servicing, lets see what loaner he drops off. I felt it convenient, the dealer picks up and drops off the car but the only concern is they will put like 200 miles on it.
Sounds like my oil change routine, except I do the driving. As I have posted before, my local dealer does not stock the proper oil for my car. So to get the correct oil, I have to drive 175 miles one way to the next nearest dealer. A royal PITA, but I only have to do it 3 more times during the maintenance period.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
Sounds like my oil change routine, except I do the driving. As I have posted before, my local dealer does not stock the proper oil for my car. So to get the correct oil, I have to drive 175 miles one way to the next nearest dealer. A royal PITA, but I only have to do it 3 more times during the maintenance period.
WTF? Since when does free maintenance mean you have to drive 350 miles to get it? Assuming 40 cents per mile, it's costing you $140 for the "free" oil change! Not to mention giving up a full day of your life every time you need an oil change.

I'd tell your local dealer to have the oil shipped in. I'm guessing UPS ground won't cost more than $10 bucks.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
What kind of oil do you use that the dealer doesnt stock? Different than the BMW 5-30 diesel oil the normally use?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
WTF? Since when does free maintenance mean you have to drive 350 miles to get it? Assuming 40 cents per mile, it's costing you $140 for the "free" oil change! Not to mention giving up a full day of your life every time you need an oil change.

I'd tell your local dealer to have the oil shipped in. I'm guessing UPS ground won't cost more than $10 bucks.
Beleive me, I've haggled with the local dealer and BMW NA until I was blue in the face, but to no avail.

Here's the deal: They have 69 cases of Castrol Professional OE 5w-30, black bottle, same P/N, but does not carry the BMW LL-04 approval on the back. The cap looks different as well.

Every other dealer I have been to (3) has oil with the approval on the back except this one. They claim they have the correct oil for my car, I say give me an official letter stating that the oil they carry meets BMW LL-04 specs--they refuse...

And so I drive...Here's to hoping my X survives dealership service in one piece. Can't wait till my "free" maintenance is over.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster
Hard to believe your story. Even if your nearest dealer didn't have the correct oil, why would you opt to drive 350 miles and waste a day of life, when you could buy the oil locally and bring it with you to your nearest dealer?

OTOH, if you enjoy driving 350 miles (gas cost of $45) so that you can get a "free" oil change, so be it.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdisplay View Post
Hard to believe your story. Even if your nearest dealer didn't have the correct oil, why would you opt to drive 350 miles and waste a day of life, when you could buy the oil locally and bring it with you to your nearest dealer?

OTOH, if you enjoy driving 350 miles (gas cost of $45) so that you can get a "free" oil change, so be it.
Because I simply refuse to "reward" the local dealer's poor service by paying for the oil myself and them getting more money from BMWNA for the oil they never supplied. So yeah it doesn't make a lot of economic sense...it's more of a spite thing I suppose...

Don't believe me? Fine. I wasn't expecting anyone to solve the problem. Just venting. But to anyone who is naive enough to believe that either the dealer or BMWNA gives a rodent's posterior about the long-term health of their bimmer is sorely mistaken...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I completely understand your frustration. Sounds like you bought your X5, so obviously you care about its long term health. Props to you for that.

OTOH mine's leased, so I'm content letting the dealer put whatever oil he wants into the sucker. By the time it's off warranty, it will be someone else's problem. And yes, in the overall scheme of things that is a sh*tty way to be, but that's one of the unintended consequences of BMW championing leasing. (At least my oil is getting changed at the prescribed intervals. I had a client who used to buy Lexus's [Lexi?], drive them 100,000 miles, then trade them in without EVER changing the oil. Pity the poor suckers who bought those).

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I completely understand your frustration. Sounds like you bought your X5, so obviously you care about its long term health. Props to you for that.

OTOH mine's leased, so I'm content letting the dealer put whatever oil he wants into the sucker. By the time it's off warranty, it will be someone else's problem. And yes, in the overall scheme of things that is a sh*tty way to be, but that's one of the unintended consequences of BMW championing leasing. (At least my oil is getting changed at the prescribed intervals. I had a client who used to buy Lexus's [Lexi?], drive them 100,000 miles, then trade them in without EVER changing the oil. Pity the poor suckers who bought those).
Maybe smart money says leasing is better than buying...no $6k trannies...no $22k engines to worry about.

I bet your dealer has the right oil. Every other dealer I've been to including the performance center has the correctly labeled oil. Keep in mind I never said the oil they have is chemically different than the correctly labeled oil. I just can't take the risk since I'm in it for the long haul. I tend to keep things a long time...10+ years. For better or worse...I guess I like the familiarity I get with the vehicle and the way it is designed & assembled.

It simply boggles the mind at how some people treat their vehicles. I can't begin to fathom the built up sludge that Lexus must have in its valvetrain.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM

My X5 was picked yesterday for servicing, the guy from dealer came to my office and handed over a 2010 X3. It has around 6k miles on it and didn't look bad for the leg room. This one had Pirelli Scorpion All seasons and surprisingly it handled very well in snow, nice braking, but got to slow down in turns (This is where winter tires work). My X5 started giving me DEF fluid warning and the countdown for No Start. The only downside is 200 miles on my odometer for every service. Its been 7 months and I already have 11000 miles on it.

I've a BMW dealership 20 miles from my place but surprisingly they didn't sell X5's and X3's till last month, only cars. I wonder why would a dealership only sell cars and not the complete lineup? This is Cedar Rapids BMW. I think they just started selling SAV's now. Of-course I dont want them to start getting experience servicing my X5, so didnt bother to call them.

2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver

Last edited by vinsk; 01-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
My X5 was picked yesterday for servicing, the guy from dealer came to my office and handed over a 2010 X3. It has around 6k miles on it and didn't look bad for the leg room. This one had Pirelli Scorpion All seasons and surprisingly it handled very well in snow, nice braking, but got to slow down in turns (This is where winter tires work). My X5 started giving me DEF fluid warning and the countdown for No Start. The only downside is 200 miles on my odometer for every service. Its been 7 months and I already have 11000 miles on it.

I've a BMW dealership 20 miles from my place but surprisingly they didn't sell X5's and X3's till last month, only cars. I wonder why would a dealership only sell cars and not the complete lineup? This is Cedar Rapids BMW. I think they just started selling SAV's now. Of-course I dont want them to start getting experience servicing my X5, so didnt bother to call them.
IIRC, Cedar Rapids is near to or on the Avenue of the Saints route. Took the X from St. Louis to St. Paul, MN last summer to visit family. Lots of corn and wind generators. Pretty country.

I wouldn't worry too much about the DEF warning at your mileage. Mine came on at 9k miles. Ever since the dealer has filled both tanks at the oil service, I've been fine. I think they don't fill them up at the factory all the way.

If you are more concerned...then have a look underneath with a flashlight with the underbody panels removed--or have them do it if you are more comfortable with that.

Last edited by diesaroo; 01-19-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Got the call from service manager, service is done, DEF is all filled up and there were no problems in the car. I complained about the brakes making that squeaking sound and they readjusted the brake pads/calipers and re-aligned them. I'm not sure if its bcos of the winter/salt/snow conditions. The driver is back on his way now.

2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Got the service record and there's a "Rear Differential Fluid Low" warning which was refilled. Is it normal?

2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Quote:
Got the call from service manager, service is done, DEF is all filled up and there were no problems in the car. I complained about the brakes making that squeaking sound and they readjusted the brake pads/calipers and re-aligned them. I'm not sure if its bcos of the winter/salt/snow conditions. The driver is back on his way now.
Usually a good high pressure car wash takes care of that...
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
they readjusted the brake pads/calipers and re-aligned them. .
Really? Never heard of such a thing, never read a procedure for aligning or readjusting brake pads or calipers..... But given they are a factory authorized BMW SAV center, they must know what they are telling you...

Quote:
Got the service record and there's a "Rear Differential Fluid Low" warning which was refilled. Is it normal?
No, wonder if it is leaking or just never was fully filled.