Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
M aero kit -- Ooops!

I am fitting the M aerodynamic II retrofit kit to my '04 325iT. I got the parts today -- now to find a body shop!

But -- I bought several parts that I did not need to get:
> M fog lights (list $196 for the pair) -- included in kit
> front bumper side supports (just $6.50) -- included in kit

A couple of years ago I got the same kit but for my '01 330Ci and I made the same mistake on the fog lights. Given the price difference ($1375 for the coupe/cabrio and $995 for the sedan/touring) I assumed (there's that word again) that the sedan/touring kit did not include fog lights. It does.

Hopefully, I won't have a problem returning them for a refund.

I would be happy to post more details on what the kit includes and what additional parts are needed for any wagon owner who is interested. Right now I'm at $1456 list and $1,092 actual price -- if I get full credit for returned parts, I'll reduce that a couple of hundred.

I should probably wait until the job is done, though, to post the details. It's possible I've missed a required part or something. Based on my previous coupe experience, I am guessing I'll spend $700 or so to get it all painted and put on the car.

By the way, the kit includes both US-type and Euro-type front license plate bases. Anybody (with an E46 sedan or touring) want to buy an unpainted front Euro plate base?
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
I AM CANADIAN!

Mein Auto: 2001 330i TS/BLK
As far as I know, the front brake ducts (L & R) and the rear valence (the lower black part) on the rear bumper is not included with the kit. Those are the 2 items that I need to buy when I got my kit installed. Hope the information helps.

2001 330i Titanium silver, Black Leather, Steptronic, Premium Package, Clears, M3 Steering wheel with paddle-shift, M deadpedal, M3 trunk lip, M Aerodynamic kit, First-Aid kit, Warning Triangle, CD changer, Black Headlight Trim, Gloss black front grills, H&R cupkit, M3 RSMs, RD sway bars, Clubsport Splitters, and more...
Old 01-15-2004, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
While we are here, can anyone give me the part number for the European version of M-Tech front bumper for a Coupe? Is it possible to get it from any US BMW dealer? I hate the reflectors...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:41 AM

Yep, got those. I also got the front air duct that goes behind the bumper. I did, however, find a piece that I missed: a water deflector that goes in front of the rear center cover on the back bumper. And I'm still studying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast
As far as I know, the front brake ducts (L & R) and the rear valence (the lower black part) on the rear bumper is not included with the kit. Those are the 2 items that I need to buy when I got my kit installed. Hope the information helps.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:00 AM

I can! The Euro front M bumper for a Ci is: 51 11 7 893 057

The US-market version is 51 11 7 893 060

Whether you can order it is another matter -- you're on your own there. But -- when I ordered the whole kit to my '01 330Ci I got the Euro bumper without reflectors. I'd say there's hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackChrome
While we are here, can anyone give me the part number for the European version of M-Tech front bumper for a Coupe? Is it possible to get it from any US BMW dealer? I hate the reflectors...
Old 01-15-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
I can! The Euro front M bumper for a Ci is: 51 11 7 893 057

The US-market version is 51 11 7 893 060

Whether you can order it is another matter -- you're on your own there. But -- when I ordered the whole kit to my '01 330Ci I got the Euro bumper without reflectors. I'd say there's hope.
You are my hero!

Would you happen to remember where you got the Euro M-Tech?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:17 PM

At the time I lived in Maryland. I ordered the kit from Hendrick BMW in Charlotte. They were advertising in the Roundel and were pricing very aggressively (30 percent off list, if I remember correctly.) I recently chatted with them to learn that they no longer run ads in Roundel and no longer offer the super discounts.

Freight from Hendrick to me (just a couple of hundred miles) was $130, I think.

This time around I'm in Oregon and went with my local (De Lon BMW) parts department. No truck freight needed. No sales tax in Oregon. And then, to my surprise, they gave me a 25 percent discount off list.

If you just want to do the front bumper, it's possible you can use UPS. The back bumper comes in a box larger than a couple of apartments I lived in years ago and is strictly a truck freight item. BMW packages the whole kit on a wooden pallet with multiple boxes and the whole thing wrapped in plastic and banding.

I think your local dealer is worth trying with very bulky items such as these. I assume Seattle has a choice of a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackChrome
You are my hero!

Would you happen to remember where you got the Euro M-Tech?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the info!

I have already got a quote from Pacific BMW (with the US bumper) and it was like $610 with shipping. I'll go ask my local dealership when I am ready to make a purchase. I'll make sure to ask if I can get the Euro version!

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Yep, got those. I also got the front air duct that goes behind the bumper. I did, however, find a piece that I missed: a water deflector that goes in front of the rear center cover on the back bumper. And I'm still studying it.
LMC, make sure you check your invoices to see if they include these parts as well:

Plug Housing 61-13-8-364-498 2 each @ 2.00
Contact 61-13-0-007-272 4 each @ 1.50

If memory serves me right they are for the front fogs. My shop didn't know to order them until they began the install, and it set me back 3 days in picking up the car.

Good Luck. Looking forward to the pics!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:14 PM

Got 'em. Appreciate the advice, though, as anything I miss has the potential to delay the whole project for however long it takes to get the forgotten item. I've been through the list and think I have it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike
LMC, make sure you check your invoices to see if they include these parts as well:

If memory serves me right they are for the front fogs. My shop didn't know to order them until they began the install, and it set me back 3 days in picking up the car.

Good Luck. Looking forward to the pics!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:22 PM

I have a couple of questions...

A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike

If memory serves me right they are for the front fogs.
I just looked at the price quote that Pacific sent me. They didn't include those parts. Do I still need them for a Coupe?

B. 51 11 8 225 601 "towing flap". Can I re-use my stock one?

TIA!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:43 PM

BTW, I called a few dealerships today and seems like the European version is about $50 more than the US version. Pacific BMW wanted $215 but shipping would be whopping $125! I can get wholesale at my local dealer (retail is $380) but it was not nearly as good as Pacific without shipping (but about 10 bucks cheaper than Pacific after tax). Looks like I'll have to figure out if the non-reflectors look is worth the extra few dollars.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
bump

LMC you still around? how did the install go?

THis is a different part #, 51-71-0-139-648, then what you posted, you know what this is?

not sure if link works,

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/...02&modelid=255
Old 12-30-2004, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
bump
LMC you still around? how did the install go?
THis is a different part #, 51-71-0-139-648, then what you posted, you know what this is?
not sure if link works,
http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/...02&modelid=255
Link doesn't work for me. The part number you quoted (ending in 648) is the one I bought.

The install went pretty well -- when I went to pick it the car from the body shop there were a couple of small things (bumper moldings) that had been poorly done -- I left it with them for an extra weekend to get it all done right. That water deflector part that delayed me did not have to; it was in the package after all (I missed it) so I ended up with an extra. The parts dept was very good about taking extra parts back, though. The actual bottom line ended up being just over $2,000 with parts, paint and labor. Not cheap for a strictly cosmetic mod, but I really like the looks.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
doh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Link doesn't work for me. The part number you quoted (ending in 648) is the one I bought.

The install went pretty well -- when I went to pick it the car from the body shop there were a couple of small things (bumper moldings) that had been poorly done -- I left it with them for an extra weekend to get it all done right. That water deflector part that delayed me did not have to; it was in the package after all (I missed it) so I ended up with an extra. The parts dept was very good about taking extra parts back, though. The actual bottom line ended up being just over $2,000 with parts, paint and labor. Not cheap for a strictly cosmetic mod, but I really like the looks.

thanks, got any pics?

also what does the side and rear spoilers look like? I just want the front one. From the bmw pic the side doesnt look any different
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a00110203.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	42046  
Old 12-31-2004, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
thanks, got any pics?
also what does the side and rear spoilers look like? I just want the front one. From the bmw pic the side doesnt look any different
The rear and side pieces look just like a ZHP. In fact, I think the side skirts are the same part number as a sedan. The rear bumper has a different contour at the top to interface with the rear door opening, but the bottom looks the same as a ZHP sedan.

As far as doing the front only -- yeah, that's the most bang for the buck as far as appearance goes. In fact, an interesting approach to transform the front of a touring would be to fit the front bumper of a sport pkg 330i, i.e., the M aero I bumper. You could probably find a takeoff for cheap.

Pics:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53010
Old 12-31-2004, 10:22 AM
doh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
The rear and side pieces look just like a ZHP. In fact, I think the side skirts are the same part number as a sedan. The rear bumper has a different contour at the top to interface with the rear door opening, but the bottom looks the same as a ZHP sedan.

As far as doing the front only -- yeah, that's the most bang for the buck as far as appearance goes. In fact, an interesting approach to transform the front of a touring would be to fit the front bumper of a sport pkg 330i, i.e., the M aero I bumper. You could probably find a takeoff for cheap.

Pics:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53010
thanks, looks good