Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2003, 09:00 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,621
Mein Auto: 330xi
For the $$ X3 or X5?

I priced out an X3 (3.0) and X5 (3.0) with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, auto, xenon, metalic paint.

The X5 comes in at $50,550
The X3 comes in at $45,075

The interior is better in the X5 but both have the same engine and drive system. Is the X5 (3.0) worth $5k more? Do you think they will phase out the X5 (3.0) to boost sales of the X3 (3.0)?

If you are able to do ED with the X3 (can't with the X5) then it drops the pice by ~$10k. That's a pretty big price difference for "essentially" a similar vehicle.

Although some may thing the X3 is overpriced, I have to think I'm not the only one thinking an X5 (3.) for $50k is extremely overpriced???

Am I missing something here?
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
I priced out an X3 (3.0) and X5 (3.0) with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, auto, xenon, metalic paint.

The X5 comes in at $50,550
The X3 comes in at $45,075

The interior is better in the X5 but both have the same engine and drive system. Is the X5 (3.0) worth $5k more? Do you think they will phase out the X5 (3.0) to boost sales of the X3 (3.0)?

If you are able to do ED with the X3 (can't with the X5) then it drops the pice by ~$10k. That's a pretty big price difference for "essentially" a similar vehicle.

Although some may thing the X3 is overpriced, I have to think I'm not the only one thinking an X5 (3.) for $50k is extremely overpriced???

Am I missing something here?
Too funny.

Hmmm... let's compare the E39 and E46. Why buy the 530i when you can get "essentially" the same vehicle in the 330i. Hey, even the 530i chassis was a bit dated! Sure, the E39 is a bit bigger, but hey, the 330i is faster!

The X5 has more passenger room than the X3. Period. A 6'2" individual can sit back there and not make anyone move seats. The shoulder room is also generous. The X3 gives that space to the trunk (hence the bragging rights) but the X5 will drive much better.

My question: For $5K, who would NOT UPGRADE to the X5?

I like the X3. I like the X5. They are two different vehicles, serving two different customers. If the X3 was to replace the X5 (a hot seller for BMW), it would be called the "next" X5.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,621
Mein Auto: 330xi
I don't think the X3 would ever replace the X5 but if X3 (3.0) moves better than the X5 (3.0), would it make sense to offer the X5 with only the larger engine options and "force" people to purchase the X3 (3.0) if they want a more affordable BMW Suv?

I like them both. Probably like the X5 more. I think I'll wait until next fall to see if there will be any deals on 2004 X3's or X5's (3.0) - I have a feeling one will be selling lot better than the other.

Good point about the 3.0 sedans.

Some people may visit a BMW dealership looking to get into the affordable BMW Suv and decide that the X5 is a better deal for the $$, and some may look to buy the X5 and decide that the X3 is just as good (in their opinion) and go for the X3.

It will be interesting to see what BMW sells more of - X3 (3.0) or X5(3.0) - anyone want to guess?
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara

Last edited by FireFly; 12-06-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,810
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
For my money, the X5 is much better vehicle than the X3. Although I thought for a moment of getting an X3 when my lease is up, I went again to see it at the dealership and I can't get over its low quality interior vs the X5's.

Yes, X5 is worth $5k more inside and out than the X3. Actually, the X3 is way overpriced in my book at $45k. Considering, a V8 Tourareg for $50k blows these two away in value IMO, interior quality (absolutely no match), space and practicability, and based on car magazines it is not that far away in driving dynamics on road from the X5. Off road there is no competition...

So it seems to come down to what you are really looking for other than straight money.

Last edited by Technic; 12-06-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Tanin's Avatar
Tanin Tanin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 678
Mein Auto: E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
It will be interesting to see what BMW sells more of - X3 (3.0) or X5(3.0) - anyone want to guess?

BMW is going to push the crap out of the X3 next year! I forget what the #'s were but BMW has set some extremely high quotas for the X3. Whatever it takes to move them they will do it (i.e. residual, MF, rates). I was talking to my dealer and he said his allocation for X5's next year will be extremely small. BMW NA will put all of it's effort into the X3.
__________________
2007 550i 6 sp. SP Alpine White / Auburn
2006 997 Carrera S Cab. 6 sp. Sport Chrono Artic Silver / Black
2001 LX470 (Lexus) Mystic Sea Opalescent / Grey
2004 330i 6 sp. ZHP Silver Grey / Natural Brown (Sold)
2001 330i 5 sp. SP Titanium / Tanin (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:52 AM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Too funny.

Hmmm... let's compare the E39 and E46. Why buy the 530i when you can get "essentially" the same vehicle in the 330i. Hey, even the 530i chassis was a bit dated! Sure, the E39 is a bit bigger, but hey, the 330i is faster!

The X5 has more passenger room than the X3. Period. A 6'2" individual can sit back there and not make anyone move seats. The shoulder room is also generous. The X3 gives that space to the trunk (hence the bragging rights) but the X5 will drive much better.

My question: For $5K, who would NOT UPGRADE to the X5?

I like the X3. I like the X5. They are two different vehicles, serving two different customers. If the X3 was to replace the X5 (a hot seller for BMW), it would be called the "next" X5.
Who wouldn't "upgrade"? Well...me. If I was more interested in passenger space I'd get the 530. The X3 offers more cargo and more cargo flexibility. I have sat in both and the differences between the two aren't noticeable to me. I honestly don't see a difference in interior "quality". And finally, with an opportunity to go ED, that makes the price difference even more pronounced.
__________________
***
2014 435 M Sport (ED)
2003 540 Touring
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible
BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2003, 09:18 AM
emPoWaH emPoWaH is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 422
Mein Auto: E39
I'd spend the extra $5K and get the X5. To me, the X3 just doesn't make sense... a 325iX wagon can do everything a X3 can. But a 5-series wagon can't do everything a X5 can - tow 5,000 lbs, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog
Who wouldn't "upgrade"? Well...me. If I was more interested in passenger space I'd get the 530.
My wife and I went to the dealership to buy a 525iT. We drove home in the X5. The passenger space in the X5 was much greater (inches!). There was no comparison.

My good friends are replacing their 530i with an X5 because it has more room in the back seat.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:00 PM
suzer's Avatar
suzer suzer is offline
I always have an opinion
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 591
Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Just saw the X3 last night (BMWCCA annual meeting/party held at dealership).

I thought it was really cute. The interior doesn't seem cheap-o to me, there's just less luxury. I thought the moonroof was cool, couldn't really understand the cargo thingy in the back. There wasn't an opportunity to drive it, although I'm going in on Wednesday to get my oil changed (5000 miles on Mr. Silverfish's odometer), so I might try.

I think it's a better bigger brother/little brother pairing than the Rav4 introduction was to the 4Runner - when I was going to buy my 4Runner the dealer said to wait and see if the Rav4 would be more what I needed. It turned out to be so tiny that it was more toy than car (how was I supposed to fit my hound dog it that?). The X3 seems more usable, but it did seem pricey. Unless they are going to "push the crap" out of them, it would be hard in my mind to stay with the X3. I'd either get the xi wagon, or the X5, depending on whether I wanted cargo room, passenger amenities or commanding height.
__________________

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Sean's Avatar
Sean Sean is offline
Registered User
Location: SC
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,257
Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Hands down I rather have a CPO'ed 3.0 X5 vs. a new 3.0 X3.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:08 AM
eelnoraa eelnoraa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 439
Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Hands down I rather have a CPO'ed 3.0 X5 vs. a new 3.0 X3.
Totally agree!

My major disappointment is the X3 interior quality. I consider myself to have a low standard on interior material. To show you where I am coming from, I actaully think E46,Z4, E60 all have a very good looking interior, NOT cheap at all in person, while a lot of people complaint about them.

OK, when I stepped into the Mystic Blue/Gray X3 that every dealer got, I must say the interior is on the low quality side. Almost everything from the instrument panel, the aluminum trim, the center console, the door handle are NOT on par with any other present BMW models. I would say it is only on par with Toyota Camry/Honday Accord. People who have problems with Z4 and E60 interior should definitely have problems with X3 interior. I could not accept X3 interior quality for its price.

eel
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-30-2003, 05:42 AM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa
Totally agree!

My major disappointment is the X3 interior quality. I consider myself to have a low standard on interior material. To show you where I am coming from, I actaully think E46,Z4, E60 all have a very good looking interior, NOT cheap at all in person, while a lot of people complaint about them.

OK, when I stepped into the Mystic Blue/Gray X3 that every dealer got, I must say the interior is on the low quality side. Almost everything from the instrument panel, the aluminum trim, the center console, the door handle are NOT on par with any other present BMW models. I would say it is only on par with Toyota Camry/Honday Accord. People who have problems with Z4 and E60 interior should definitely have problems with X3 interior. I could not accept X3 interior quality for its price.

eel
Mystic Blue/Grey isn't the best. Not sure why that's the chosen color for the year. I find a big difference between the grey, black and tan interior.
__________________
***
2014 435 M Sport (ED)
2003 540 Touring
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible
BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-30-2003, 09:49 AM
mkh's Avatar
mkh mkh is offline
.
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 909
Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog
Mystic Blue/Grey isn't the best. Not sure why that's the chosen color for the year. I find a big difference between the grey, black and tan interior.
No, it's not the color. It's the quality of the material (eg. the thickness and texture of the plastic/vinyl). Just like the difference between a $20 plastic toy and a $200 plastic equipment. I even think the Accord and Camry offer better material. The X3's quality is closer to the Civic and Corolla. For the same price, I would get a stripped X5 over a loaded X3 anytime.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:03 PM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh
No, it's not the color. It's the quality of the material (eg. the thickness and texture of the plastic/vinyl). Just like the difference between a $20 plastic toy and a $200 plastic equipment. I even think the Accord and Camry offer better material. The X3's quality is closer to the Civic and Corolla. For the same price, I would get a stripped X5 over a loaded X3 anytime.
For me, it IS the color. Grey stinks.
__________________
***
2014 435 M Sport (ED)
2003 540 Touring
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible
BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2003, 12:17 PM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: BMW 540
I had a chance to drive an X3 yesterday. It was your typical blue/grey/golf ball trim model.

One of the things I was especially interested in was how firm the ride was. For comparison I have an 04 330 Cic with the syle 71 wheels. Thus, I'm coming from a firm ride.

I felt like the ride firmness in the X3 was comparible to the convertible. That's not a good thing since it was your non-sport version. I sat in both the rear seats and front seats.

The rest of the car and everything else was fine. The interior (except for the ugly grey) is like other three-series. If you are someone who wants to spend more money for the X5 that's fine as you are paying for a "better" interior without any more space.

I see the decision as similar to those who decide between the 3 and 5 series except with the 5 you are getting more space while in this case you aren't. For me, I'm planning on an ED so an X5 is not an option. And obviously if you want a bigger engine for towing, the X5 is the way to go.

Getting back to colors, they had a black/tan X3 in the showroom. I thought it looked great...because most importantly....no grey!
__________________
***
2014 435 M Sport (ED)
2003 540 Touring
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible
BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-14-2004, 12:53 PM
xmanjack xmanjack is offline
Registered User
Location: new jersey u.s.a.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: x5 4.4i,acura,jeep,mazda6
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
I priced out an X3 (3.0) and X5 (3.0) with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, auto, xenon, metalic paint.

The X5 comes in at $50,550
The X3 comes in at $45,075

The interior is better in the X5 but both have the same engine and drive system. Is the X5 (3.0) worth $5k more? Do you think they will phase out the X5 (3.0) to boost sales of the X3 (3.0)?

If you are able to do ED with the X3 (can't with the X5) then it drops the pice by ~$10k. That's a pretty big price difference for "essentially" a similar vehicle.

Although some may thing the X3 is overpriced, I have to think I'm not the only one thinking an X5 (3.) for $50k is extremely overpriced???

Am I missing something here?

Are you crazy?Not only does the X3 look bad,they ride bad.Stick with the X5,and while your at it,go for the extra 15K and get the 4.4.Now that's a ride,and don't look back.You won't be sorry.
__________________
XMANJACK
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2004, 07:51 AM
harplayr's Avatar
harplayr harplayr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Prime Rib or NY Strip

I think that they are both excellent cars. It would be foolish to say one car is GREAT and the other is a POS. It boils down to specific needs, wants and gut feelings.

I chose the X3 over the X5 for several reasons. One reason was the indoor bike rack feature. My wife and I are avid cyclists, and this feature is not available for the X5. I also liked how the X3 drove. In my opinion the X3 felt closer to my 325I in it’s handling, and the X5 felt “bigger” and not as crisp. For me the X3 was just plain more fun to drive. The X5 has its virtues, it felt more luxurious, and for some that may be what they want.

If you’re in the market, my advice would be to test drive both, and the other SUVs out there. Buy what suits you. We are fortunate that there are a lot of quality choices out there.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,621
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanjack
Are you crazy?Not only does the X3 look bad,they ride bad.Stick with the X5,and while your at it,go for the extra 15K and get the 4.4.Now that's a ride,and don't look back.You won't be sorry.
Xman- that really was not the point of my thread BUT if money were not an issue, the 4.4 would be the only SUV on the list. I can't believe all theH2 owners are settling for an inferior ride when they could be riding in style in an X5. Sure an H2 looks kewl but you still have to get behind the wheel and drive it everyday.
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-17-2004, 03:23 PM
repo repo is offline
Registered User
Location: Buffalo
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 02 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
Xman- that really was not the point of my thread BUT if money were not an issue, the 4.4 would be the only SUV on the list. I can't believe all theH2 owners are settling for an inferior ride when they could be riding in style in an X5. Sure an H2 looks kewl but you still have to get behind the wheel and drive it everyday.

Funny, I see a guy in a H2 gassin gup today, and think how expensive the Hummer was, and then I realized the wifes X5,4.4 was more.

Back to the X3,,,my salesman said the residuals were so bad(end of Dec) that you could lease a X5 for the same money.

Plus they look claustrophic to me.

Good luck with your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:08 AM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: BMW 540
Seems like most of the neg posters on the X3 are current X5 owners. Are you afraid of little brother?

Heck, if money was no object, I'd hire people to drag stuff around for me and I'd lead the way in a Z8.
__________________
***
2014 435 M Sport (ED)
2003 540 Touring
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible
BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:30 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,621
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog
Seems like most of the neg posters on the X3 are current X5 owners. Are you afraid of little brother?

Heck, if money was no object, I'd hire people to drag stuff around for me and I'd lead the way in a Z8.
If you think its bad here, check roadfly for the X5 owners bashing the X3. I really don't care because I own neither but it is a bit jouvenile.

I have driven both and would take an X3 3.0 over the X5 3.0 because they are more or less the same vehicle with the X3 having a better ride but the X5 having a better interior. Everything else is pretty much a wash when comparing the two vehicles.
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Nick325xiT 5spd's Avatar
Nick325xiT 5spd Nick325xiT 5spd is offline
Registered User
Location: Bethesda, MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,861
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I'd take the X5 for the towing capacity.

Beyond that, I'm not particularly thrilled with the way either one of them drives. (Note that I've only driven an X3 3.0i and an X5 4.4i.) I'd much rather spend a lot less on a pickup with serious hauling capacity than on an "SAV" with somewhat limited capabilities in the two arenas I'd actually want a "truck" for.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog
Seems like most of the neg posters on the X3 are current X5 owners. Are you afraid of little brother?
Very good observation.

Change is frightening, and the X3 is change - as now there are two SAV's in the line-up.

Personally, I think they are both very different, much like the 3-series and 5-series. Someone who is looking at the X5 really shouldn't settle for an X3, while an X3 shopper wouldn't even consider the X5, even if the price was identical. They are both very different.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-18-2004, 09:38 AM
JetBlack330i JetBlack330i is offline
Banned
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,364
Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
I don't own either one, but I drove both.
To me, both are overpriced. The X3 more than the X5.
The X3 is only $5K cheaper than the X5, but it feels substantially cheaper. In addition, the same engine seem to perform better in the heavier X5.
In my opinion, they need to price the X3 another $5K lower.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack330i
I don't own either one, but I drove both.
To me, both are overpriced. The X3 more than the X5.
The X3 is only $5K cheaper than the X5, but it feels substantially cheaper. In addition, the same engine seem to perform better in the heavier X5.
In my opinion, they need to price the X3 another $5K lower.
The X3 is overpriced, even more than the X5.

On the other hand, I think every SUV on the market is overpriced (do you think a Dodge Durango is really worth $39,000?) so the BMW's are just priced to keep with the competition.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms