Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 735i
1991 735i overheating.

My 735i just recently started overheating. For a while it would get hot out of no where and then all of a sudden cool back down to norm temp. Now it gets hot after just driving it around the block. After looking it over today i found that the water hose coming out of the water pump was cool to the touch. Does this mean that the pump has gone bad or could there be another problem. After i turned the car off i squeezed the hose to see if there was any pressure inside and it sounded like it released a bunch of air pockets within the hoses. Any ideas? Thanks for reading and for any advice that can be given.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
what is your coolant level and condition?? the first thing you check is coolant level, if it is low, refill it and check for leaks.

if it is not low, then verify the operation of the thermostat, and the waterpump is circulating properly.

an infra red thermometer would be helpful for reading temps quick and easily when inspecting for a faulty thermostat.

good luck.

df
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 735i
1991 735i overheating

I forgot to mention that the air blows heater blows cold while the engine is overheating. The temp. also increases when the heat is on. But once it cools down it will blow warm air. Also the air smells like coolant when it comes on. Let me know if this gives anyone any new ideas. I was thinking heater coil. Where exactly is that located in the vehcle?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
Sounds like you have an air bubble in the system. Time to bleed it. A cold heater and a hot engine are the main signs of a big bubble.

Should be a bleeding procedure for your car in here somewhere: http://www.e38.org/e32/
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org