Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
03 745Li Warning Engine Over Heating

Hello all! I have a 2003 745Li with 84K miles. Last night as I was driving home on the freeway in this 32 degrees cold weather, I had a warning that stated something like, "Engine temperature high, drive moderately." Then five minutes later, I had another warning saying something like, "Engine is over heating, pull over and call BMW Roadside Assistant." I was only two miles away from home so of course I kept driving. I turned on the heater to the max level and nothing but really cold air was blowing out of the vents. In my mind, the first thing I thought of is the thermostat is stuck closed. But if so, why would the heater blow so cold? Then the next morning, I checked the coolant and it is low. I turned on the engine to see if it would warm up and after 5-10 minutes, its was still cold. Then I turned on the heater to see if it blows hot but it didn't. So my question is, why would I get an over heat warning when the engine is not over heating? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
any time the car tells you to pull over, you should do it! Going on for so long can cause severe damage! Did you remember to turn the I-drive climate from cool air to hot air?

Also you mentioned you were low on coolant, if there is low coolant, then there is nothing getting to the heater core to actually make the air hot. I suggest you put the car up on a lift and check it for any sort of coolant leaks. If you don't find any, add coolant and see how the car runs. You may be lucky and not have had any damage, however most of the time damage is inevitable if you run it so hot.

If you are low on coolant, there isn't enough fluid in the system to keep it running efficiently so it cools. Basically the hot coolant tries to disappate the heat but there isn't enough to keep the car from overheating, and mind you it will take some time for a car to overheat. Idling for a few minutes won't cause it, however driving for about 5-10 minutes should be more than enough.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
If you coolant is cold, then its not doing its job, coolant needs to be hot, thus taking away the heat. My guess, broken waterpump or thermostat.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
never drive a car with low collant your just asking for it. your engine propably overheated cause it didnt have enough collant to keep its temp down. but like everyone is saying if you dont have enough collant you dont have anything going to your heater core thats why you got no heat.

Last edited by irokdastar383; 12-07-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone for replying. There was no coolant at all. Thank God it was 32 degrees outside when this happened. The engine starts up fine. As I poured coolant in, I saw it leaking out the front of the engine. My guess is the water pump. But is it possible that it's leaking where the thermostat is? Because the water pump sounds like a lot of work and money. I couldn't see the leak looking from the top of the engine. Looking from the bottom, I see the leak but can't see exactly where it's coming from because too many things were blocking the view. Anyone know roughly how much the water pump and labor is? Is it a do it yourself type of job or should I just send it to the dealer? I can do oil changes, but when it comes to taking the engine apart, I'd rather not mess with it.

John
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Let me put it like this, if you cant take enough things apart to figure out where exactly the leak is coming from, then yes you will need to take it to a mechanic (don't have to take it to the dealer) BUT, the general location of the water pump is on the front of the motor (side thats facing you if you were standing in front of the car.)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Hopefully you don't have head gasket issues...typically any time an engine is overheated you are looking at head gaskets too. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntkha View Post
Thanks everyone for replying. There was no coolant at all. Thank God it was 32 degrees outside when this happened. The engine starts up fine. As I poured coolant in, I saw it leaking out the front of the engine. My guess is the water pump. But is it possible that it's leaking where the thermostat is? Because the water pump sounds like a lot of work and money. I couldn't see the leak looking from the top of the engine. Looking from the bottom, I see the leak but can't see exactly where it's coming from because too many things were blocking the view. Anyone know roughly how much the water pump and labor is? Is it a do it yourself type of job or should I just send it to the dealer? I can do oil changes, but when it comes to taking the engine apart, I'd rather not mess with it.

John
If you had no coolant, didn't you get a low coolant error message? When I bought my car, as I drove it off the lot I got this message. Turned around immediately and told the dealer. Water pump was bad and they fixed it no questions asked free of charge.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:

John
The leak could be coming from a variety of places. It could be as simple as an unhooked hose or cracked hose. My advice is to take off the bottom cover and poke around and see if you can find the source of the leak. It's easier to spend 30mins to an hour looking than spend a few hours earning money just to give back to the dealer.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Ok, I finally had a chance to work on my car. It's been so cold outside except for today. Plus I don't have a garage. But anyways, I thought it was the water pump. So I went and bought a new water pump, thermostat and belts from the dealer. I was an easy job. Took about two hours. Once the belts were back on and sensors plugged in, I added new coolant and was ready to fire up the engine. Then all of a sudden I heard some dripping noise. I know I didn't spill any coolant. Looked underneath the car and saw the leak exactly how I saw it from the beginning. I just couldn't see where it was coming from. So I took everything apart again except for the water pump. Once the pulley was out, I tracked the leak trail and found out where it was coming from. A hole in the engine. I thought maybe a bolt came lose or something. I don't know what a weep hole is, but from what I've read, I sure hope mine isn't leaking from the weep hole. I've attached some pictures for you guys. Hopefully someone can identify this hole that's visible right behind the water pump and show me how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	259188   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	259189  
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Yup, that's weep hole.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Mein Auto: 750i
Man I hope it isnt the weep issue ... Good luck with fixing that bro ...

(E65) 20' Rims
Sports pkg, Cold weather pkg, & Convience pkg
Rear Shades
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
if its coming out of the hole its the weep hole. try to takt it to an indi shop they usually charge around 1500 .
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Ok, I finally had a chance to work on my car. It's been so cold outside except for today. Plus I don't have a garage. But anyways, I thought it was the water pump. So I went and bought a new water pump, thermostat and belts from the dealer. I was an easy job. Took about two hours. Once the belts were back on and sensors plugged in, I added new coolant and was ready to fire up the engine. Then all of a sudden I heard some dripping noise. I know I didn't spill any coolant. Looked underneath the car and saw the leak exactly how I saw it from the beginning. I just couldn't see where it was coming from. So I took everything apart again except for the water pump. Once the pulley was out, I tracked the leak trail and found out where it was coming from. A hole in the engine. I thought maybe a bolt came lose or something. I don't know what a weep hole is, but from what I've read, I sure hope mine isn't leaking from the weep hole. I've attached some pictures for you guys. Hopefully someone can identify this hole that's visible right behind the water pump and show me how to fix it.
This link should help you understand what is the "weep hole."
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41725
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Man that sucks, sorry to hear another weep hole issue. I wonder what is the exact cause of that rubber seal failing.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Yep, it's the weep hole issue. IMHO, that's not a good term for a failure INSIDE the engine itself but it I guess it's a de-facto term now. I think you can buy the repair [arts for the weep hole issue for around $700 but it does take a good amount of time to do it yourself. In this weather without a garage, I'd also recommend that you find yourself a good independent shop. Does this mean that you water pump was OK and you no longer need to replace that part?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks everyone for responding. I was searching around and found the AGA (All German Auto) expandable coolant pipe. The kit cost $835.15 and looks pretty easy to do. As I was looking for the reviews of the AGA coolant pipe kit, I saw someone post a comment saying:

"Buy a factory coolant pipe and cut it in half. Buy a 4 inch rubber hose that will fit the pipe, slide the pipe in place and tighten the rubber hose with two hose clamps. Price is much cheaper than buyng the AGA kit."

Now I know cutting the new factory pipe might save me even more money, but I don't think it's gonna fit snugly in place without leaking. Have any of you guys heard of this and if so, have any of you tried this? Also, has anyone tried the AGA coolant pipe kit? Tightening a threaded pipe doesn't mean the coolant won't leak between the threads, (in my opinion).

ndabunka, my old water pump and thermostate was perfectly fine. I already installed the new water pump and thermostat so I don't think the dealer would let me return it. Sucks that I didn't know about this weep hole issue before buying the new water pump and thermostat. But oh well, they'll have to be replaced eventually. Attached is a picture of the AGA coolant pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGA.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	259422  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528I
Quote:
Thanks everyone for responding. I was searching around and found the AGA (All German Auto) expandable coolant pipe. The kit cost $835.15 and looks pretty easy to do. As I was looking for the reviews of the AGA coolant pipe kit, I saw someone post a comment saying:

"Buy a factory coolant pipe and cut it in half. Buy a 4 inch rubber hose that will fit the pipe, slide the pipe in place and tighten the rubber hose with two hose clamps. Price is much cheaper than buyng the AGA kit."

Now I know cutting the new factory pipe might save me even more money, but I don't think it's gonna fit snugly in place without leaking. Have any of you guys heard of this and if so, have any of you tried this? Also, has anyone tried the AGA coolant pipe kit? Tightening a threaded pipe doesn't mean the coolant won't leak between the threads, (in my opinion).

ndabunka, my old water pump and thermostate was perfectly fine. I already installed the new water pump and thermostat so I don't think the dealer would let me return it. Sucks that I didn't know about this weep hole issue before buying the new water pump and thermostat. But oh well, they'll have to be replaced eventually. Attached is a picture of the AGA coolant pipe.
These problems are exactly the reason why I don't care about the BMW 745 series. Electrical problems, too expensive to fix and its one of the worst seven series BMW has made. If I had my choice, I'll stick with my E39, or go with a 750 or 760. I'm starting to see a lot of young hoodlums driving these 745s and I can only smile once they begin spending their money on maintenance. My mechanics cousin has 5 of them for sale and he can't find a buyer. I even heard that when you get a new batter you have to register it? Really? Wow.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAX1234 View Post
These problems are exactly the reason why I don't care about the BMW 745 series. Electrical problems, too expensive to fix and its one of the worst seven series BMW has made. If I had my choice, I'll stick with my E39, or go with a 750 or 760. I'm starting to see a lot of young hoodlums driving these 745s and I can only smile once they begin spending their money on maintenance. My mechanics cousin has 5 of them for sale and he can't find a buyer. I even heard that when you get a new batter you have to register it? Really? Wow.
Nobody cares that your cousins mechanic has 5 of them for sale. The guy has a problem and were here to help him fix it, stop posting retarded comments.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ByMySide View Post
Nobody cares that your cousins mechanic has 5 of them for sale. The guy has a problem and were here to help him fix it, stop posting retarded comments.
That's the problem the 745 tend to have too many problems. That's not retarded, you're just delusional because you probably think this car is the greatest in the world. I understand cars have problems that need fixing but this car is a different animal. That comment about him having those 5 shows that some of these same problems are rearing their heads more often then not!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
That's the problem the 745 tend to have too many problems. That's not retarded, you're just delusional because you probably think this car is the greatest in the world. I understand cars have problems that need fixing but this car is a different animal. That comment about him having those 5 shows that some of these same problems are rearing their heads more often then not!
You seem to be getting upset about a car that you don't even own. Nobody is forcing you to buy one so let the people here searching for help on certain topics get it done.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ByMySide View Post
You seem to be getting upset about a car that you don't even own. Nobody is forcing you to buy one so let the people here searching for help on certain topics get it done.
Why would I be upset? What seems to be the case is that many 745 owners tend to buy these cars because they look nice without checking on them. My Mechanic's cousin was a good example. If a car needs normal repair, fine, but when a car like the 745 tends to have more problems than what it should that's not fine. If you like your 745 good for you.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: E91 Sport Wagon
QMax get lost.

@John,
I wouldn't recommend the OEM tube anyway, who knows when it will start leaking at the seals again.
The AGA pipe is a sure fire fix that has satisfied many people. Sure it's more expensive, but ultimately
that part works and peace of mind is worth more than 800 bucks to me.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young baron View Post
qmax get lost.

@john,
i wouldn't recommend the oem tube anyway, who knows when it will start leaking at the seals again.
The aga pipe is a sure fire fix that has satisfied many people. Sure it's more expensive, but ultimately
+1
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
These "problems" happen because the 745 was produced for the first 4 years and as well they are 5-8 years old already. When you have more technology than 5 E39's put together in one car, something is bound to go wrong after all these years. Do you own a Personal computer from 2002? I doubt it. If your cousin can't find a buyer, I suggest for him to look at other options than keep his money tied up in depreciating assets.

As far as registering the battery, when you have a car that charges and draws on the battery as needed to prolong battery life, I can understand it needing to be registered so the car can know the state of the battery.

Quote:
Delusional? Do I sense you attacking another member? And you said it yourself, this car IS a different animal. This isn't like some car from the 90's with a few computers, this is a car with over 150 different electrical components. Hell so much data is transferred that the car needs fiber-optics to handle the data! The 5 cars your cousin has could be for a variety of reasons, one for a new battery, the other one for a new alternator, the 3rd for a new parking brake, etc. If all 5 have the weephole, I'm sorry but someone didn't know what they were buying when they should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Baron View Post
QMax get lost.

@John,
I wouldn't recommend the OEM tube anyway, who knows when it will start leaking at the seals again.
The AGA pipe is a sure fire fix that has satisfied many people. Sure it's more expensive, but ultimately
^agree, the AGA pipe seems to be a bit better than the OEM one and doesn't require that you cut an installed pipe!
Closed Thread