Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Range Rover has a 5 times the problmes of the e65/66...

but you dont see me going on their board and telling them how much repairs one will need...

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
'08 535i - Sport - Sport Trans - Navi - Comfort Seats - daily beater -
'07 GSXR-750 - Gray/Black - Akrapovic Ti Shorty Exhaust -
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Another cold day to work on my car. I can only put in an hour or two at the most because it's just too cold. It's hard to disconnect the plastic plugs because it's even more brittle when it's cold. I feel the hardest thing about working on this weep hole issue is disconnecting the wire plugs. Other than that, I don't think it's that bad. I'll order the AGA kit next week. So far, I removed the new water pump that I installed a few days ago and removed the wire harness on top of the injectors. Tomorrow I'll work on removing the injectors and intake manifold. I'll let everyone know how everything went once I tackle the intake manifold.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Mein Auto: 750i
QMAX 1234,

The reality is every car has problems regardless of the make and model ... As for the young hoodlum statement you can not control what car a person buys. Am I suppose to dump my 750 because a person pulls up next to me in the same car that I have and he "looks like a hoodlum?" ... Hoodlums and young folk drive all types of cars so it is not just the BMW 745 ... Therefore, there are just some things in this world (i.e. the type of car a person buys) that you can not control and that is one you can not control ...

(E65) 20' Rims
Sports pkg, Cold weather pkg, & Convience pkg
Rear Shades

Last edited by thecandidate; 12-23-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntkha View Post
Another cold day to work on my car. I can only put in an hour or two at the most because it's just too cold. It's hard to disconnect the plastic plugs because it's even more brittle when it's cold. I feel the hardest thing about working on this weep hole issue is disconnecting the wire plugs. Other than that, I don't think it's that bad. I'll order the AGA kit next week. So far, I removed the new water pump that I installed a few days ago and removed the wire harness on top of the injectors. Tomorrow I'll work on removing the injectors and intake manifold. I'll let everyone know how everything went once I tackle the intake manifold.

Good luck with that I am sure you will get it done ...

(E65) 20' Rims
Rear Shades
Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528I
Hi csmeance

I like your response, the other 2 characters seem to be so obsessed with their 745 until they can't stand criticism of it. But for the very reasons you've mention detered me from buying one of these. BMW only made 3 years worth of these cars and they were some of the worst made. Heck when Time magazine has it as one of the 50 worst cars of all time, that is telling. What shocks me is that the 745 originally was very expensive but is now down to around 10K mostly and it's only been 5-6 years since they came out. To depreciate that much is a telling story, especially when i see E39s and other older models still can sell for around 10k depending on the models.

Personally I think the older 740s James Bond cars and the 750s and I believe you have a 760 are much better cars. Though any car is bound to have problems these babies are much higher quality. To me the 745 seems like a transition vehicle in which BMW was trying to figure out how to get stuff right.

People get these cars for a bargin but may wind up paying more in repairs than the original price of the vehicle. BMWs are the ultimate driving machines, the E39s epitomize this, the other 7series eptiomezes this many of the 3 series do the same. The 745 doesnt'.

This guy says it perfect:
Nah the interior on the E65 is weird. Looks like stacks. They tried to hard to go after the S-Class. Specially the seat switch, dumb thinking. Other than that the 750s look awesome! Anyways the 745i isn't worth it. Specially with that known coolant leak that costs 6K-9K from dealer to fix and HELL for a DIYer. I'd pass. It doesn't handle like a E38, doesn't look as good as a E38, and isn't nearly half as reliable. My mechanic said he loves people who has the 745s cause they never leave his shop without spending at least $ 1k. Its over-priced with those miles http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1561255
I couldn't have said it any better. People who buy these 745s are buying it for the looks thinking its a good car at a bargin but you get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more for getting it with high miles and cheap trying to get a bargin.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandidate View Post
QMAX 1234,

The reality is every car has problems regardless of the make and model ... As for the young hoodlum statement you can not control what car a person buys. Am I suppose to dump my 750 because a person pulls up next to me in the same car that I have and he "looks like a hoodlum?" ... Hoodlums and young folk drive all types of cars so it is not just the BMW 745 ... Therefore, there are just some things in this world (i.e. the type of car a person buys) that you can not control and that is one you can not control ...
The Candidate, I LOVE THE 750S. I haven't seen a hoodlum with one since. But just a note to you, the new official hoodlum car is the BMW 745, rapper Lil Boosie made a song about it some years back and the young dope boys are riding around in it not knowing the consequences. Like i said my mechanic's cousin is one, and now he's begging for someone to buy his 5 vehicles he even asked me. I told him the money spent and the repairs would look much better on my E39. In about a year or so, I will buy a 7 series just to say I have one but it will be a 750 or 760 heck I might even shoot for the Alpine 7. I like any Bimmer 7 series but the 745.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAX1234 View Post
The Candidate, I LOVE THE 750S. I haven't seen a hoodlum with one since. But just a note to you, the new official hoodlum car is the BMW 745, rapper Lil Boosie made a song about it some years back and the young dope boys are riding around in it not knowing the consequences. Like i said my mechanic's cousin is one, and now he's begging for someone to buy his 5 vehicles he even asked me. I told him the money spent and the repairs would look much better on my E39. In about a year or so, I will buy a 7 series just to say I have one but it will be a 750 or 760 heck I might even shoot for the Alpine 7. I like any Bimmer 7 series but the 745.
Not that much of a rap music follower so I was not aware of that song by that artist. The reality is alot of people step out and purchase things they can not afford whether its a 7 or a home why but its usually not a good look ... You have to do your research when you buy things but who knows maybe that's the college professor in me

(E65) 20' Rims
Rear Shades
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 AM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
hey dont get me wrong.. if i was buying a car right now it would not be a 745i because its old and no warranty... and if i was to buy a 7 series, i would be lookign at a 750i only because of the warranty and its newer.

and QMAX, they started making them in 2001, so the car has been out already for 10 years... not 5 or 6 years, like you said.

and problems with a 745i for ten grand... why is this surprising?!?! you get what you pay for. i am sure you can find a clean 745 that will run without any major problems, but not for $10K!

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
'08 535i - Sport - Sport Trans - Navi - Comfort Seats - daily beater -
'07 GSXR-750 - Gray/Black - Akrapovic Ti Shorty Exhaust -

Last edited by Seven11; 12-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Hi csmeance

I like your response, the other 2 characters seem to be so obsessed with their 745 until they can't stand criticism of it. But for the very reasons you've mention detered me from buying one of these. BMW only made 3 years worth of these cars and they were some of the worst made. Heck when Time magazine has it as one of the 50 worst cars of all time, that is telling. What shocks me is that the 745 originally was very expensive but is now down to around 10K mostly and it's only been 5-6 years since they came out. To depreciate that much is a telling story, especially when i see E39s and other older models still can sell for around 10k depending on the models.

Personally I think the older 740s James Bond cars and the 750s and I believe you have a 760 are much better cars. Though any car is bound to have problems these babies are much higher quality. To me the 745 seems like a transition vehicle in which BMW was trying to figure out how to get stuff right.

People get these cars for a bargin but may wind up paying more in repairs than the original price of the vehicle. BMWs are the ultimate driving machines, the E39s epitomize this, the other 7series eptiomezes this many of the 3 series do the same. The 745 doesnt'.

This guy says it perfect:
Nah the interior on the E65 is weird. Looks like stacks. They tried to hard to go after the S-Class. Specially the seat switch, dumb thinking. Other than that the 750s look awesome! Anyways the 745i isn't worth it. Specially with that known coolant leak that costs 6K-9K from dealer to fix and HELL for a DIYer. I'd pass. It doesn't handle like a E38, doesn't look as good as a E38, and isn't nearly half as reliable. My mechanic said he loves people who has the 745s cause they never leave his shop without spending at least $ 1k. Its over-priced with those miles http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1561255
I couldn't have said it any better. People who buy these 745s are buying it for the looks thinking its a good car at a bargin but you get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more for getting it with high miles and cheap trying to get a bargin.
Trust me, I'm not obsessed with the 745 at all. I find some choices BMW quite shocking for a car that cost nearly 100K fully loaded OTD. BMW made more than 3 years of the 745, 2002,2003,2004 and 2005, 4 years which is longer than other manufacturers make the same model. In case you didn't notice, the 7 series has be on the 7 year cycle versus other models which are on the 5 year cycle.

7 Year cycle
Original model out for 4 years with minor updates scattered such as MP3 Text, etc.
Then the car is refreshed inside and out with a slight facelift and sold for another 3 years.

5 Year Cycle:
Orignal model is out for 3 years with minor updates scattered.
Then the car is refreshed inside and out with a slight facelift and sold for another 2 years.

I'm sorry, but if you are quoting a magazine like time as a reference, it doesn't count. I doubt time magazine has full time automotive technicians that have dealt with almost every single car. If anything they get their info from personal surveys, surveys in which people over exaggerate issues. For example someone has a blowout on a 7 series that they paid 100K for. They would say I could have been killed and so on. What they fail to realize is that it's like any other car that needs to be checked regularly.

As far as the deprecation is concerned, you have to remember that they are negative rate exponential curves and not linear curves. As well, numerous factors are included in determining the value of these cars. The reason why an E65/66 745 sells for 10K while an E39 sells for 10K are quite vast.
For example just a few with a quick search:
1. E39 has 120K while E65/66 has 180K miles
2. E39 is in better condition (interior and exterior) than the E65/66 which has been neglected.
3. E39 has had it's coolant problems fixed while the E65/66 is on it's last limb

As well, you have to remember that the difference between years on the E39 is significantly small compared to the E65/66. The amount of technological changes from year to year including programming changed significantly to the point where some model year parts for electronics are NOT interchangeable even with programming. This in turn causes people to spring for newer models thus reducing the resale value of older models. People will want a fully loaded 2006 model over a 2003 because of the updates and because the electronics are newer.

I do agree with you that the old 7 is like a James bond car, and the E65/66 can be considered the same. Both have the same qualities that make it the "James Bond" car. As I have said before, the 7 is a perfect blend of formality with excitement. The car can whisk away VIP's in a very professional manner and look elegant, but at the same time you can have fun with it, even on a track day if you have to.

As far as the 760's quality goes, most of the parts are the same however if I remember correctly, it was said that the 760 are hand crafted and built with much better tolerances than it's V8 brethren, and as well that extra steps were taken to ensure that they would suit their customers much better. How so I can't remember but I remember reading this and being told his on separate occasions.

As far as transition vehicles go, I do have to agree somewhat but only because the first model year or two of ANY car model are "experimental" to an extent. During the course of the first few model years, any common issues are fixed by updating the parts. Furthermore and complaints are fixed to make the car sell better and sales not falter with an aging model. Every single car company does this in this day and age, and sadly I miss the older days where models were truly tested before they were let out into the market.

A buddy of mine has a Acura Legend that is close to 20 years old with more than 300K miles. The car runs like the day it came from the showroom and has had only regular maintenance, the power windows, radio, etc all still run perfectly. Maybe this is why the E39 is slightly better, because back in the 90's some companies and workers still had pride in what they made.

The 745 not being the ultimate driving machine is a joke, a comparable S-Class or A8 would suffer at the hands of a 7 in drive-ability and comfort. Driving the 7, I can tell you from personal experience that I feel confident taking a curve at 110 that's rated for 55, in an S class I can tell you that I feel confidence only till about 90. Do you know why this is? The S drives like a boat and the 7 drives like a car of it's caliber should. I recommend you take a 745Li for a spirited drive and see how it handles. I'll tell you this, BMW did a superb job making a car that's 17+ feet long feel as agile as it is.

Whomever you quoted does have some valid arguments, but there are many valid rebuttals to it!
1.The interior on the E65/66 is laid out very well! Placement of everything makes sense (for the most part) and as well it is elegant and welcoming. It's not like the current S class which has a cheesy looking dash, esp the buttons to the right of the gauge cluster. Those stacks are drawers and come in quite handy during long trips, esp when wearing formal attire! Great place to throw your watch, wallet, phone, pens, etc.

2. Seat switch? That's probably some of the best seat placement that could be made! With the controls at arms reach, you don't mess up setting the seat by stretching to adjust the seat. As well, it allows the seat to be slightly over and the center console larger so there is no gap to stick you hands on the side of the seat like with regular seat controls.

As far as the interior goes, the one complaint I have for the early 2002-2005 Models is the knobs! Who thought at BMW to use plastic knobs like on a honda? It would have made so much more sense to use something that didn't look so cheap!

3. Coolant leak -> This is an engineering flaw on BMW's part just like the cooling engineering that BMW has had problems with before. At least this is just one flaw versus numerous ones that can be difficult to track down. Granted it costs 6K to fix, it isn't as bad as it seems. The AGA kit makes it MUCH cheaper and owners can use the opportunity to have their 7 running in tip-top shape!

Your last statement I do agree with, many folks are trying to be "baller" on a budget with the 745 and realize that it's quite difficult. They see a 100K car for the price of a new honda and take the 100K car for bragging rights. What they don't realize is with a 100K pricetag comes expensive parts that are intricate! That's why people should be smart and check out a car fully beyond a PPI and do some research themselves.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: 735i
very well said csmeance!
a long read but a very good one
Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Csmeance,

That was refreshing to read. You've quantified my entire point in this post. You said it perfectly here when you mentioned:
Your last statement I do agree with, many folks are trying to be "baller" on a budget with the 745 and realize that it's quite difficult. They see a 100K car for the price of a new honda and take the 100K car for bragging rights. What they don't realize is with a 100K pricetag comes expensive parts that are intricate! That's why people should be smart and check out a car fully beyond a PPI and do some research themselves.
I'm glad I did my research and didn't fall into the 745 trap which my mechanic's cousin did. I also agree with you that many of BMW's cars have these coolant leaks, just had mine fixed though it was the first time in the life of the car it started after nearly 14 years. (Previous owner kept up the car very well, I'm nearly as cynical with it also, I just don't have a heated garage). So I think you'll like this entry here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

It has a 2008 750IL offered for 29,495 which seems to be very inexpensive though the miles seem a little high at 54K in only 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Trust me, I'm not obsessed with the 745 at all. I find some choices BMW quite shocking for a car that cost nearly 100K fully loaded OTD. BMW made more than 3 years of the 745, 2002,2003,2004 and 2005, 4 years which is longer than other manufacturers make the same model. In case you didn't notice, the 7 series has be on the 7 year cycle versus other models which are on the 5 year cycle.

7 Year cycle
Original model out for 4 years with minor updates scattered such as MP3 Text, etc.
Then the car is refreshed inside and out with a slight facelift and sold for another 3 years.

5 Year Cycle:
Orignal model is out for 3 years with minor updates scattered.
Then the car is refreshed inside and out with a slight facelift and sold for another 2 years.

I'm sorry, but if you are quoting a magazine like time as a reference, it doesn't count. I doubt time magazine has full time automotive technicians that have dealt with almost every single car. If anything they get their info from personal surveys, surveys in which people over exaggerate issues. For example someone has a blowout on a 7 series that they paid 100K for. They would say I could have been killed and so on. What they fail to realize is that it's like any other car that needs to be checked regularly.

As far as the deprecation is concerned, you have to remember that they are negative rate exponential curves and not linear curves. As well, numerous factors are included in determining the value of these cars. The reason why an E65/66 745 sells for 10K while an E39 sells for 10K are quite vast.
For example just a few with a quick search:
1. E39 has 120K while E65/66 has 180K miles
2. E39 is in better condition (interior and exterior) than the E65/66 which has been neglected.
3. E39 has had it's coolant problems fixed while the E65/66 is on it's last limb

As well, you have to remember that the difference between years on the E39 is significantly small compared to the E65/66. The amount of technological changes from year to year including programming changed significantly to the point where some model year parts for electronics are NOT interchangeable even with programming. This in turn causes people to spring for newer models thus reducing the resale value of older models. People will want a fully loaded 2006 model over a 2003 because of the updates and because the electronics are newer.

I do agree with you that the old 7 is like a James bond car, and the E65/66 can be considered the same. Both have the same qualities that make it the "James Bond" car. As I have said before, the 7 is a perfect blend of formality with excitement. The car can whisk away VIP's in a very professional manner and look elegant, but at the same time you can have fun with it, even on a track day if you have to.

As far as the 760's quality goes, most of the parts are the same however if I remember correctly, it was said that the 760 are hand crafted and built with much better tolerances than it's V8 brethren, and as well that extra steps were taken to ensure that they would suit their customers much better. How so I can't remember but I remember reading this and being told his on separate occasions.

As far as transition vehicles go, I do have to agree somewhat but only because the first model year or two of ANY car model are "experimental" to an extent. During the course of the first few model years, any common issues are fixed by updating the parts. Furthermore and complaints are fixed to make the car sell better and sales not falter with an aging model. Every single car company does this in this day and age, and sadly I miss the older days where models were truly tested before they were let out into the market.

A buddy of mine has a Acura Legend that is close to 20 years old with more than 300K miles. The car runs like the day it came from the showroom and has had only regular maintenance, the power windows, radio, etc all still run perfectly. Maybe this is why the E39 is slightly better, because back in the 90's some companies and workers still had pride in what they made.

The 745 not being the ultimate driving machine is a joke, a comparable S-Class or A8 would suffer at the hands of a 7 in drive-ability and comfort. Driving the 7, I can tell you from personal experience that I feel confident taking a curve at 110 that's rated for 55, in an S class I can tell you that I feel confidence only till about 90. Do you know why this is? The S drives like a boat and the 7 drives like a car of it's caliber should. I recommend you take a 745Li for a spirited drive and see how it handles. I'll tell you this, BMW did a superb job making a car that's 17+ feet long feel as agile as it is.

Whomever you quoted does have some valid arguments, but there are many valid rebuttals to it!
1.The interior on the E65/66 is laid out very well! Placement of everything makes sense (for the most part) and as well it is elegant and welcoming. It's not like the current S class which has a cheesy looking dash, esp the buttons to the right of the gauge cluster. Those stacks are drawers and come in quite handy during long trips, esp when wearing formal attire! Great place to throw your watch, wallet, phone, pens, etc.

2. Seat switch? That's probably some of the best seat placement that could be made! With the controls at arms reach, you don't mess up setting the seat by stretching to adjust the seat. As well, it allows the seat to be slightly over and the center console larger so there is no gap to stick you hands on the side of the seat like with regular seat controls.

As far as the interior goes, the one complaint I have for the early 2002-2005 Models is the knobs! Who thought at BMW to use plastic knobs like on a honda? It would have made so much more sense to use something that didn't look so cheap!

3. Coolant leak -> This is an engineering flaw on BMW's part just like the cooling engineering that BMW has had problems with before. At least this is just one flaw versus numerous ones that can be difficult to track down. Granted it costs 6K to fix, it isn't as bad as it seems. The AGA kit makes it MUCH cheaper and owners can use the opportunity to have their 7 running in tip-top shape!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
C & E on that Yo'

Quote:
Csmeance,

That was refreshing to read. You've quantified my entire point in this post. You said it perfectly here when you mentioned:
I'm glad I did my research and didn't fall into the 745 trap which my mechanic's cousin did. I also agree with you that many of BMW's cars have these coolant leaks, just had mine fixed though it was the first time in the life of the car it started after nearly 14 years. (Previous owner kept up the car very well, I'm nearly as cynical with it also, I just don't have a heated garage). So I think you'll like this entry here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

It has a 2008 750IL offered for 29,495 which seems to be very inexpensive though the miles seem a little high at 54K in only 2 years.

QMAX1234,

That 2008 750 looks good ... The miles are somewhat high for 2 years, that person must have done some pretty good driving! Have you seen the autocheck and carfax for the car? It does look really good though ... Are you looking at purchasing that one? You may be able to find a better deal with less mileage ... With 54K miles already you are probably loooking at inspection II at 60k miles ...

(E65) 20' Rims
Rear Shades
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandidate View Post
QMAX1234,

That 2008 750 looks good ... The miles are somewhat high for 2 years, that person must have done some pretty good driving! Have you seen the autocheck and carfax for the car? It does look really good though ... Are you looking at purchasing that one? You may be able to find a better deal with less mileage ... With 54K miles already you are probably loooking at inspection II at 60k miles ...
Hi Candidate, I thought the same thing you said. I'm not seriously looking to buy until maybe 2011 or more into 2012. I still have big plans to add a bunch of stuff to my E39, like new paint job, bigger rims and tires, etc. I like to keep an eye on the market though to see how it's going but I haven't looked at autocheck of the vehicle or carfax. I need to subscribe to these services so I can see more. Its defintely a beautiful car though!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: E66
Qmax

Cars have become increasingly more complicated since...errr, they were invented. So comparing simpler cars from simple era isn't quite a fair comparison. I am sure a 2002 is a lot easier/cheaper to fix than the current 3 but is it really better? A recent C&D magazine compared every gerneratons of M3s against each other and it seems that the fact is....lots of memory are tinted/biased. It's a great comparison article and read it if you got few minutes. I like to keep things simple myself but people can be easily "marketed" as more is better.... I am sure I have read from somewhere that E65/66 was the best selling 7 series. Most today's luxury are still copying or using the technology/styling started in E65/66.

Also remember, you mechanic's cousin's 7 might be a bad purchase. but how do you know the alternative, a S class or A8 from the same vintage would be better? From what I heard, neither of the other two are more reliable or cheaper to fix. But have you tried to see which one drives the best? I have. I have even driven the current S550 and personally, I still prefer the 7 when it's time to write the check and that's what I did.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Hello again everyone! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Haven't had a chance to work on my car the past few days because of the freezing cold temperature and snow all weekend long. Seems like we have some 745 haterz on this post. Well, I've owned my car since February 2003 and everytime I get in to drive this car, I love it and still do! But everyone has their own preferences and opinions. Warranty was over February 2009 and I was supposed to trade my car in for the 2010 750Li but I got scared of the payments for another five years. I'm enjoying this no car payment with this economy.

But anyways, I spent about a half an hour today and quit because it's just too cold to work outside. I'm from Southern California and not used to the cold out here in the East Coast. So far, I took ignition coils off in order to remove the intake manifold. I also removed the fuel injectors which I wished I didn't because the fuel injector rails could be used as handles to pull the intake manifold up and out. The damn thing is too heavy I have no leverage to get the intake manifold up and out of the car because there's nothing to hold on at the back of the intake manifold. While I was trying to get the intake manifold off, I broke what I believe is the breather hose. It's so brittle that it just snapped right off. That's when I called it quits and will get a helping hand to take the intake manifold off tomorrow so I don't break anything else. Attached are some pictures of the breather hose that broke. I called the dealer and they told me the new hose is now a two piece hose instead of one piece. Each hose is $67!! That's some expensive pieces of plastic! But oh well, gotta deal with it when you drive a car like this. So far, this project isn't bad at all though. If I had a garage and a helping hand, I think this job could be done in one full day or two at the most.

BMW Part # on the old hose is: 1161-7505545-02
BMW Part # for the new hose is: 1161-7547185 and 1161-7547186
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	259940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather 3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	259941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	259942  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Quote:
Hello again everyone! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Haven't had a chance to work on my car the past few days because of the freezing cold temperature and snow all weekend long. Seems like we have some 745 haterz on this post. Well, I've owned my car since February 2003 and everytime I get in to drive this car, I love it and still do! But everyone has their own preferences and opinions. Warranty was over February 2009 and I was supposed to trade my car in for the 2010 750Li but I got scared of the payments for another five years. I'm enjoying this no car payment with this economy.

But anyways, I spent about a half an hour today and quit because it's just too cold to work outside. I'm from Southern California and not used to the cold out here in the East Coast. So far, I took ignition coils off in order to remove the intake manifold. I also removed the fuel injectors which I wished I didn't because the fuel injector rails could be used as handles to pull the intake manifold up and out. The damn thing is too heavy I have no leverage to get the intake manifold up and out of the car because there's nothing to hold on at the back of the intake manifold. While I was trying to get the intake manifold off, I broke what I believe is the breather hose. It's so brittle that it just snapped right off. That's when I called it quits and will get a helping hand to take the intake manifold off tomorrow so I don't break anything else. Attached are some pictures of the breather hose that broke. I called the dealer and they told me the new hose is now a two piece hose instead of one piece. Each hose is $67!! That's some expensive pieces of plastic! But oh well, gotta deal with it when you drive a car like this. So far, this project isn't bad at all though. If I had a garage and a helping hand, I think this job could be done in one full day or two at the most.

BMW Part # on the old hose is: 1161-7505545-02
BMW Part # for the new hose is: 1161-7547185 and 1161-7547186

Good deal keep us up to speed with it ... I am sure you will get it done

(E65) 20' Rims
Rear Shades
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
I'm glad you did remove the fuel rails. that's an interesting idea but I think you would risk bending and damaging your fuel rail by lifting it like that.
i am able to pull the manifold by myself by lifting the back out first and setting it at an angle. Then lifting the front and wiggling it out. Make sure all your connections like the disa in the rear have been unplugged. I can pull it myself but 2 people would be nice. I always get a sore back.

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp
My DIY's - New alternator, battery, CCVs, idler/tensioner pulleys belts, NGK Iridium spark plugs, , sway bar bushings, Front rear brakes, Valve Block, Head Gasket, Exhaust Gasket, Upper and lower Timing Gaskets, Valve Covers, exhaust valves, Timing Chain slide rails, Fuel Injector o-rings, pulled radiator, Intake Manifold Gaskets, water pump, Coolant Pipe/weep hole, oil pan gasket, vacuum pump, fan shroud, Vanos solenoid o-rings, and timed it with a timing kit.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Ok, I finally got the intake manifold off and having an extra helping hand was definitely needed for me. I also took the cover underneath the intake manifold off and saw the coolant pipe. I still haven't ordered the AGA kit yet. Been lagging on that. Will order tomorrow. Wilson, I used your DIY post and it definitely helped me tackle this project. Thanks, without your post, I'd send it to a shop and end up spending more money. Now, the only thing I didn't do is drain the coolant from the block. The orange coolant you see is Prestone when I thought it was low on coolant. I'll definitely change it with BMW coolant. Does anyone know where the coolant drain plug is on this engine? I also attached some pictures showing the pipe exposed. Next, I'm gonna cut and remove it to get it ready for the AGA kit. The kit comes with all types of seals that I don't know where it goes though. Should I buy the complete kit or just the pipe and change the seals I know I need?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW 4.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	260032   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 5.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	260033   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 6.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	260034  
Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
I think the seals they offer are at cost so its probly better to get the whole kit. It consists of the valley pan and seals I believe.

Make sure to order a set of intake manifold gaskets. That may come with it too. Can't remember.

You don't need to drain the engine block of fluid antifreeze for this. If you did there is a bolt on the passenger side near the starter that will do it. But I don't think you can get to it without lifting the engine or dropping the under carriage.

Otherwise your limited to the radiator

My DIY's - New alternator, battery, CCVs, idler/tensioner pulleys belts, NGK Iridium spark plugs, , sway bar bushings, Front rear brakes, Valve Block, Head Gasket, Exhaust Gasket, Upper and lower Timing Gaskets, Valve Covers, exhaust valves, Timing Chain slide rails, Fuel Injector o-rings, pulled radiator, Intake Manifold Gaskets, water pump, Coolant Pipe/weep hole, oil pan gasket, vacuum pump, fan shroud, Vanos solenoid o-rings, and timed it with a timing kit.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
i got an idea for a fix so that you wont even need to remove the whole top of your engine but i am looking for someone who can develop it. if anyone here has the know how let me know
Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Ok, I finally had the time to cut and remove the coolant pipe. I had to drill a hole and pry out the front side of the pipe with a 2x4 and screwdriver. The rear came out with a little wiggle. I've attached some pictures and one of them has a hole circled in red. I'm not sure what that hole does, but after cleaning all the coolant out, more coolant seems to be leaking in from that little hole. I just hope that's normal. But anyways, I'm just waiting on the parts to come in so I can put this thing back together. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010105.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	261469   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010106.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	261470   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010107.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	261471   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010108.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	261472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010111.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	261473  

Name:	P1010112.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	261474   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010113.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	261475   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	261476   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010115.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	261477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010116.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	261478  

Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
C & E on that Yo'

Quote:
Ok, I finally had the time to cut and remove the coolant pipe. I had to drill a hole and pry out the front side of the pipe with a 2x4 and screwdriver. The rear came out with a little wiggle. I've attached some pictures and one of them has a hole circled in red. I'm not sure what that hole does, but after cleaning all the coolant out, more coolant seems to be leaking in from that little hole. I just hope that's normal. But anyways, I'm just waiting on the parts to come in so I can put this thing back together. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

John

Good deal John your making some major progress

(E65) 20' Rims
Rear Shades
Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Alright guys, I just completed this AGA coolant pipe and got the engine back together. Was so excited to start my car and when I did, I almost had a heart attack. The car idled very rough and all kinds of check engine light came on. I ran to the auto repair shop down the street and borrowed a scan tool to see what the codes might be. I had misfire codes on all 8 cylinders. Do any of you know what this means? P0363, P1343, P1351, P1353, PP1347, P1355, P1345, P1357, P1349 and P1062 were the codes. I saw some gears for the ignition coil under the valve cover and when I tried to put the coil back in, I think I turned those gears. Otherwise, the coil won't go on. Not sure if that's the problem though. Thanks again for everyone's help.

John
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson009 View Post
I'm glad you did remove the fuel rails. that's an interesting idea but I think you would risk bending and damaging your fuel rail by lifting it like that.
i am able to pull the manifold by myself by lifting the back out first and setting it at an angle. Then lifting the front and wiggling it out. Make sure all your connections like the disa in the rear have been unplugged. I can pull it myself but 2 people would be nice. I always get a sore back.

Dude you sound like you do this once a week lol

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: E65
Quote:
Alright guys, I just completed this AGA coolant pipe and got the engine back together. Was so excited to start my car and when I did, I almost had a heart attack. The car idled very rough and all kinds of check engine light came on. I ran to the auto repair shop down the street and borrowed a scan tool to see what the codes might be. I had misfire codes on all 8 cylinders. Do any of you know what this means? P0363, P1343, P1351, P1353, PP1347, P1355, P1345, P1357, P1349 and P1062 were the codes. I saw some gears for the ignition coil under the valve cover and when I tried to put the coil back in, I think I turned those gears. Otherwise, the coil won't go on. Not sure if that's the problem though. Thanks again for everyone's help.

John
Hi,

Just think did you put the ground wires connected to the valve cover.

Closed Thread