Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
Removing front carpeting from an X3

Hello,

Apologies if this question has been posted before. I had an unfortunate event involving feral cats, my garage, and my shoes, such that there's a hideous cat pee aroma in my X3 whenever it rains hard, and I live in Seattle...

Anyone know if there are any tricks to removing the front carpet pan (or whatever you call it)? I've tried spot-cleaning, and no dice. Need to take it out completely, and either replace it, or rug doctor it. I think it's a $300 item, so cleaning is worth a shot.

Any other tips on dealing with this pissy situation would be welcome.

Thanks,
wbrproductions
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
There are commercial odor removers

I would try something like this first- http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...=odor+removers
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM

X3emist - thanks. Did try the Spot bot a few times, but found this off your suggestion: http://www.cleartheair.com/english/car_odors.html

Worth a shot, for the price.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: M3/X3/XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrproductions View Post
Hello,

Apologies if this question has been posted before. I had an unfortunate event involving feral cats, my garage, and my shoes, such that there's a hideous cat pee aroma in my X3 whenever it rains hard, and I live in Seattle...

Anyone know if there are any tricks to removing the front carpet pan (or whatever you call it)? I've tried spot-cleaning, and no dice. Need to take it out completely, and either replace it, or rug doctor it. I think it's a $300 item, so cleaning is worth a shot.

Any other tips on dealing with this pissy situation would be welcome.

Thanks,
wbrproductions
I had a similar situation occur with a previous car and remedied the situation by renting a "carpet extractor" with a hand-held attachment for cleaning automobiles/upholstery. It was able to pull all of the pee out of the carpet (and there was a lot). It took a couple of days to dry out but the end result was better than expected as the whole car smelled like new with the carpets cleaned.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
I suggest wet vacuumng the spot with hot water and just a drop of baby shampoo (any more than a drop will cause the vac to fill full of foam). This job is best done with two people, one to pour and one to vacuum. Just soak the area and vacuum it up immediately. It may take a couple of tries but it should get all the smell out.

I have a small Shop Vac dedicated for all my wet work. They are cheap and well worth the expense.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Great, will do all of the above. Really appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks,
wbrproductions