Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 Roadster
2002 Z3 2.5 Roadster

My roadster with auto xmission lit a panel light yesterday after a gas fillup. It's the circular gear with exclamation point, which the manual says is auto xmission related.

It operates fine in all gears. Had to drive 50 miles home from a friends house afterwards. Had no problems. It will shift through the gears in auto mode as well as manual mode, but the display does not light up the gear you're in, in manual mode. It just shows the mileage covered since reset - just like in auto mode.

I'll be taking an OBDII reading later today with my netbook & Vehicle Explorer & report back when that's done.

Anybody else experience this? Low xmission fluid? Some manual/auto shift switch not working?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Fred
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM

No additional OBDII P-codes from Vehicle Explorer 1.69.

The solenoid is working correctly, locking out the shifter when the ignition is on but the brake not depressed. It does shift when the brake is depressed.

Anyone dknow where the transmission control module is located?

Thanks.
Fred
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
I am not an expert by any stretch of the word
But is your referring to the same thing mine did
Check the owners manual
It says some like set the parking brake. Place the car in _____ gear and turn off. Then wait _____ amount of time then restart
This fixed mine light
Tim
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
I am not an expert by any stretch of the word
But is your referring to the same thing mine did
Check the owners manual
It says some like set the parking brake. Place the car in _____ gear and turn off. Then wait _____ amount of time then restart
This fixed mine light
Tim
Tim - I'll give that a try this morning. I looked thru my owners manual but could not find the reference you quoted. Is yours a 2002?

Hope it works. Apparently, I can use all the gears whether in full automatic or manual so I would think it's an electrical glitch.

Thanks.
Fred
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Mine is an 01. The light you described is the same one mine threw
In the manual look for the section were it decries the light
Then it sends you towards the back to tell you what to do. I think it was page 69 or so
Any how I am out of town till tomorrow night.
When I get back to the car I will reread and let you know
Tim
Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Tim - I tried the turn the car off in gear. Then I waited a few minutes & restarted but the light came back on. I could not find the reference you spoke about. My owners manual simply says bring it to the dealer.

Waiting to hear more when you return. Thanks.
Fred
Old 12-10-2010, 02:42 PM

It said either put the car in park or neural set the parking brake. Turn car off. Wait. Then start car. I had the same light on and it reset it.
Mine is a 01. 3.0. Auto with the same tranny you have I THINK!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Setting it in neutral or park is the standard way of turning off the car.

Previously you said "It says some like set the parking brake. Place the car in _____ gear and turn off. Then wait _____ amount of time then restart
This fixed mine light" This seems more plausible, but when you've got the exact words, let me know what they are & I'll try it again. Thanks very much for the effort.

Fred
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Page 22 describes the light
For additional information refer pages 60, 63
Electronic transmission control module
"bring the vehicle to a stop, select transmission position Park set the parking brake and turn the engine off ( ignition key to position 0) Wait a few seconds then start engine.
If the indicator lamp goes out again after a few seconds , normal transmission proformance has been restored"
I hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZbar View Post
Setting it in neutral or park is the standard way of turning off the car.

Previously you said "It says some like set the parking brake. Place the car in _____ gear and turn off. Then wait _____ amount of time then restart
This fixed mine light" This seems more plausible, but when you've got the exact words, let me know what they are & I'll try it again. Thanks very much for the effort.

Fred
Right. And that's what it said to do!
Let me know if that works
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks Tim. My manual says on p. 22: "Automatic Transmission* Because of a malfunction, the automatic transmission shifts only in the emergency program. Please consult the nearest BMW center. For additional info, refer to p. 64." As far as I can tell, all forward gears work in this "emergency" mode, whether it's place in manual or automatic position.

Page 64 says: " Electronic transmission control module. If the indicator lamp comes on, there is a fault in the transmission system. All of the selector lever positions can continue to be used; in the forward drive positions, however, the vehicle will be operating with restricted gear availability. If this happens, avoid extreme engine loads & consult the nearest BMW center."

I'll try it again, but I believe I shut it down several times the way you say, with no good effect.

I'm wondering whether fluid level is measured by the control module. It's a pain to check the xmission fluid level without a dip stick. I'll never buy a car again without one. I think the module is located under the hood on the passenger side. Will also check to see that all the wires are clean & plugged in.

Fred
Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM

?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM

No luck yet. I'm trying to trace the wires from the shifter to the transmission control module.

I also have one green bar left until, I think, Inspection 1. I may reset it to see if it's related to the inspection.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Fred
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
FYI, when this happened on my 2000 2.3iA It turned out to be related to the brake switch located behind the brake pedal.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks Amancuso. I'll check that shortly.

Fred
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 roadster
great thread. My light comes on sporadically. 2000 Z3 with 77,000 auto trans. car runs great so i thought maybe needs a fluid change.

A random check recently on my My Peake code reader says brake switch plausabililty. Didnt know what the heck that meant, but maybe its related to the tranny light thats comes on occasionally.

Is brake switch easy change? Don't want to fix something that aint really broke.
thanks.