Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2003 525i
Thumbs down Bad oil change now misfires

Today @ maybe 11 me and my buddies went on base to change my rear rotors, my oil & filter (air filter too), and flush my rear differential. Everything goes great, all is well, we're done in about an hour and a half, we leave go have breakfast. Leave stop by the store.

OMG MY SES LIGHT IS ON

so i go drop my boys off at my house, go to Autozone, pull the codes.

MISFIRES IN ALL 6 CYLINDERS

Had these same exact codes about 3 wks ago so I flipped out.

What had happened then was, my (suck jet pump) had disintegrated and was almost into my engine, so a nearby shop (European MotorSports) patched me up, they normally do all the work I dont have time to do.

I go over to EMI (the shop) and complain, he tells me to bring it by tomorrow morning.

I pop my hood just to get one last whiff of my fresh oil before i start to wind down, and nope hood wont pop?!?!?!

So i remove frnt rt grille piece (broke it) to pop the hood.

Oil Fill Cap was sitting on top of my left headlight. I hadnt driven more than 25-30 miles (although i did do a bit of speeding) without it on so I wasnt all too worried, no oil had spilled anywhere, level still normal, so i put the cap back on.

My question is, Was my oil fill cap not being on the source of my misfire codes? If so did replacing my cap fix the issue? If so will the SES light go off on its own?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by kingmorton; 12-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
It looks like you need to be more careful next time.
Leaving an oil cap off should not trigger all these codes.

Get a code reader and read them yourself. A generic OBD-II reader ($50 at Autozone) will read it.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528I Daily
YES leaving the cap off can cause these codes. The valve cover vent hose goes to the Air intake pipe. With the cap off it can pull infinite amounts of vacuum through hose resulting in a low air flow sensor reading causing the engine to run lean. Lean engines defiantly missfire.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
Yes, it would have set a code. 1st time i opened the cap to check for "blow by", i almost stalled the engine. The vacuum is so great, its unbelievable. I had a 4 cylinder before the e39 and when i removed the cap, there was no sign of difference how the engine was working.

Put it back on, and if u "feel" the car acting better, than just drive it. The code should reset itself in few drive cycles (correct me if im wrong)