Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 98 740i bmw
Unhappy Rough idle/check engine light flashing

Hello, i need some help figuring out why my 98 740i is idiling rough. It gives me a code for a mis fire on cylinder #1. It also seems to spit and sputter at times when i press the gas pedal. Not sure what's going on but my bimmer sounds like a small truck now. HELP!!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 135I
i guess it could be many things from the ignition coil being faulty, fouled spark plug, bad injector or in some cases engine mechanical damage like a broken valve spring for that cylinder. i would swap coils around and see if the coil that comes off cylinder 1 travels to the cylinder that you installed it into. mark them so you dont forget. those coils fail frequently. cylinder 1 is the closest to the coolant reservour tank.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 98 740i bmw
Mis Fire on Cylinder 1/Rough Idle

Hello, i need some help figuring out why my 98 740i is idiling rough. It gives me a code for a mis fire on cylinder #1. It also seems to spit and sputter at times when i press the gas pedal. Not sure what's going on but my bimmer sounds like a small truck now. HELP!!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
Valve cover gaskets are prone to leak as they get hard and brittle from underhood heat. First step is to, like cntlaper1 said, pull the plugs. Usually, if the VC gaskets are leaking, if you shine a light down the plug hole before taking the plug out, you will see oil. You will also see oil on the tip of the coilpack (where it meets with the plug) if the leak is bad enough. This will cause a misfire and foul the plugs in question.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by GLHExorcist; 12-11-2010 at 06:44 AM.