Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Dealer Service mileage question - Z4

2007 Z4 3.0i - Bought as a CPO with about 26K miles. I'm getting close to the end of the "free" dealer service 4 year window and want to make sure I get what I can. Our mileage (about 31,+++) is very close to 15K since the last full service (not including the CPO service, and the CPO dealer did not reset the service mileage counter). However the mileage counter show about 2500 miles to go and I'll never get that much before the end of 4 years.
Do dealers go by actual odometer mileage since last full service or by the mileage counter?? I though the counter was linear mileage so not sure why it's different. I would think I could make a good argument for service based on the actual odometer mileage? Based on the CPO brake rotor and pad readings, I'm guessing both rotors and pads are past the wear limit but I'll measure both before I go for service. Thanks for any guidance.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRider View Post
2007 Z4 3.0i - Bought as a CPO with about 26K miles. I'm getting close to the end of the "free" dealer service 4 year window and want to make sure I get what I can. Our mileage (about 31,+++) is very close to 15K since the last full service (not including the CPO service, and the CPO dealer did not reset the service mileage counter). However the mileage counter show about 2500 miles to go and I'll never get that much before the end of 4 years.
Do dealers go by actual odometer mileage since last full service or by the mileage counter?? I though the counter was linear mileage so not sure why it's different. I would think I could make a good argument for service based on the actual odometer mileage? Based on the CPO brake rotor and pad readings, I'm guessing both rotors and pads are past the wear limit but I'll measure both before I go for service. Thanks for any guidance.

They go by what the service indicator in the dash says. If you were under 800 miles they would probably ok it. maybe you will get lucky and get one more free service....
Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
They go by what the service indicator in the dash says. If you were under 800 miles they would probably ok it. maybe you will get lucky and get one more free service....
Can anyone explain this? I bought my 07 Z4 with 32,100 miles back in May. At that time the service indicator said 15K. Now the odo is about to turn 42,000. Yet the service indicator says 8,200. Is this a defect that I should get them to look at, or is there some slop in the way the service indicator works?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Tom,
When I take my wife's Z4 in, I'm telling them the mileage counter is defective, not as bad as yours but still way wrong. I've checked the odometer and it is accurate. I have all the service records and the last mileage counter reset and full service was at 16,883 miles. It's now at about 32,000 and the counter says 2200 to go. I'm going to drive the wheels off it in the next few weeks to get the counter down below 1000 and I will argue hard that the car has about 17K miles since the last service.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
KenTenn

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster
"I'm guessing both rotors and pads are past the wear limit "

IF they need replaced, and IF you are still within your 4y/50k warranty, I think you can just take the car in and they will replace them - you don't have to wait for a "service interval".

'06 Z4M Roadster
'03 Z4 3.0L Roadster (Sold)
'00 Z3 2.3L Roadster (Sold)
www.woodenmachinistchest.com
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Ken, Thanks - that a good point especially from a safety standpoint. I will measure mine in the next few days.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Tom,
When I take my wife's Z4 in, I'm telling them the mileage counter is defective, not as bad as yours but still way wrong. I've checked the odometer and it is accurate. I have all the service records and the last mileage counter reset and full service was at 16,883 miles. It's now at about 32,000 and the counter says 2200 to go. I'm going to drive the wheels off it in the next few weeks to get the counter down below 1000 and I will argue hard that the car has about 17K miles since the last service.
The service indicator determines the interval based on 2500 litres of fuel used, so if you have been averaging about 26mpg, then your service indicator is correct in showing about 17,300 miles between your last service and the next one in 2,200 miles.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM

jsc, thanks. I wasn't sure if the service counter was just a linear mileage counter or measuring some other way. I'll have to do the math but my avg mpg indicates 24.2 or so. How did you find or know the 2500 litres formula? That not a bad setup since it would somewhat increase the interval for mostly highway miles and shorten for lower city mpg.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
You can get you oil changed once a year no matter what the indicator says. If you bought the car from the dealer and it's been a year, take it in. They will change the oil.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
jsc, thanks. I wasn't sure if the service counter was just a linear mileage counter or measuring some other way. I'll have to do the math but my avg mpg indicates 24.2 or so. How did you find or know the 2500 litres formula? That not a bad setup since it would somewhat increase the interval for mostly highway miles and shorten for lower city mpg.
The 2500 litres between service was published in about 2000 in some BMW document I read, when it first became used for determining oil change interval on the E46 as part of the SIA (Service Intervall Anzeige) system. Since then it has been used on various models including the Z4. Since the CBS (Condition Based Service) system replaced the SIA system (on the E90 and other recent models), a different parameter(s) is used.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM

jsc, where is fuel measured

jsc, thanks again. Do you remember reading anything about how/where the 2500 litres of fuel is measured? I would assume it just uses the computed mileage range when fuel is added which is dependant on recent driving speed etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
You can get you oil changed once a year no matter what the indicator says. If you bought the car from the dealer and it's been a year, take it in. They will change the oil.

Best regards
Not accurate. Oil change policy (SIB 01 04 10) under the BMW 4/50 Maintenance Program was revised in August 2010:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421437
Read it and weep

Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Interesting my dealer did not bring that up and I have not read that until now. Thanks for correcting.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Not accurate. Oil change policy (SIB 01 04 10) under the BMW 4/50 Maintenance Program was revised in August 2010:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421437
Read it and weep
BMW changed this absurd under 6,000 hurdle several weeks ago due to customer outrage.

Oil changes are now as they were: when indicated by the count-down indicator or 12 months regardless of mileage. However, don't try 12 month minus 1 day.

EB
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
jsc, thanks again. Do you remember reading anything about how/where the 2500 litres of fuel is measured? I would assume it just uses the computed mileage range when fuel is added which is dependant on recent driving speed etc.
Should be from the fuel metered out at the injectors and integrated over time.This is the input to the OBC value for average fuel consumption, but the service interval probably includes the fuel consumed during idling, whereas the average fuel consumption doesn't.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
BMW changed this absurd under 6,000 hurdle several weeks ago due to customer outrage.

Oil changes are now as they were: when indicated by the count-down indicator or 12 months regardless of mileage. However, don't try 12 month minus 1 day.

EB
Are you a spokesperson for BMW NA? If not please document your assertion.
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Are you a spokesperson for BMW NA? If not please document your assertion.
Thanks.
No & my dealer passed along the information about BMW rescinding the policy change.

You are welcome.

EB

Last edited by ebruder; 12-18-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Typo