Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Professional sound settings

Before my iDrive started rebooting and became unusable (see iDrive rebooting thread), I spent considerable time playing with the graphic settings trying to get the best from the F10's Professional audio system (think it's called 'Premium' in the US). The settings below give the best overall sound (to my ears at least).

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

The surround just seems to add copious amounts of reverb and wrecks the sound IMO.
I initially set everything up using my ears, then used some sine wave test files with a large diaphram mic who's responce I'm familiar with and an oscilloscope (yes - I'm into audio!). Assuming my calculations were correct, the results were suprisingly flat. My preferred settings have a slight boost around 3Khz, but I like it that way. Makes you wonder why they can't equalise the default settings better.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 12-11-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
I am looking to get an F10 soon. Would you recommend the upgraded stereo? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Yes! Although I'm not sure what 'standard' is for the US market (I'm in the UK). The standard stereo we get is OK, depending on what your after. Never heard the 'advanced' upgrade, but the professional stereo is far better than the standard. It's really powerful and you can have it up loud without distortion. The bottom end is a bit 'muddly' and you have to adjust the graphic to sort out the mid range, but it's pretty good for an OEM stereo. Definately worth the money.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Dark Graphite 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
I am looking to get an F10 soon. Would you recommend the upgraded stereo? Thank you in advance.
Absolutely ! It is a 600 watt system with Dirac based DSP. The base system we get here in the states is actually the mid-range system BMW offers on European models which people have said is still pretty good. But the professional system is simply amazing once tuned correctly. You won't regret it especially if you spend a lot of time in your car playing music.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM

I have listened to the base system in a 535 I drove and it was ok listening to the radio, but I was overwhelmed. I will look into the premium system as I enjoy listening to music in the car, particulary on trips. Thanx for the input.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Correction. Was NOT overwhelmed.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Before my iDrive started rebooting and became unusable (see iDrive rebooting thread), I spent considerable time playing with the graphic settings trying to get the best from the F10's Professional audio system (think it's called 'Premium' in the US). The settings below give the best overall sound (to my ears at least).

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

The surround just seems to add copious amounts of reverb and wrecks the sound IMO.
I initially set everything up using my ears, then used some sine wave test files with a large diaphram mic who's responce I'm familiar with and an oscilloscope (yes - I'm into audio!). Assuming my calculations were correct, the results were suprisingly flat. My preferred settings have a slight boost around 3Khz, but I like it that way. Makes you wonder why they can't equalise the default settings better.
THANK You. I tried your settings and they are superior to the "quesses" that I made. I have the premium radio.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535xi LOADED
Okay, sending this to myself to change ASAP thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Sound is subjective but for anyone out there looking for a starting point with the premium equalizer this is a very good one. Sounds great! Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: M5
bmwarchitect, What kind of music do you typically listen to? Do you think your settings would apply to a wide variety of music genres? I have been playing with the settings for a week now and will try yours tonight. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambow View Post
bmwarchitect, What kind of music do you typically listen to? Do you think your settings would apply to a wide variety of music genres? I have been playing with the settings for a week now and will try yours tonight. Thanks.
You may have mistakenly addressed this to me, but was meant for BimmerUFK10.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
thank you very much for this info, your settings are great! sounds like a new system. i was all over the place.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Think you did mean me! :-)

I listen to a variety of music from Fusion to Classical to pop! Fusion is my usual preference.

My settings though should give good results with most styles as they offer a largely flat response. Some prefer heavier bass for Dance or Hip Hop etc. If so, just increase 'bass' to suit.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 01-14-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
thank you very much for this info, your settings are great! sounds like a new system. i was all over the place.
Thanks Highyo! Glad they work for you!
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Can these settings be applied on the standard system on f 10. I am waiting for mine to arrive but thought I should ask
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: M5
Sorry for the mix up. I tried the settings on my way home tonight and they sound great, much better than what I had been using. Thanks BimmerUKF10! One noticeable difference is that I could make the volume louder and had better sound.

What is the purpose of surround sound anyway?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: Waiting for new X5d
Quote:

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

Great job! - Your settings sound better to me than all the settings I've tried on my own. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the mix up. I tried the settings on my way home tonight and they sound great, much better than what I had been using. Thanks BimmerUKF10! One noticeable difference is that I could make the volume louder and had better sound.

What is the purpose of surround sound anyway?
No problem - more than glad to contribute something useful! :-)

Not 100% as I've not really looked at it, but it might be that a real surround source (Dolby Digital DVD etc) may allow true surround. In stereo though it is just simulated and achieved by adding reverb which sounds horrible to my ears. I'll try playing a film when I get around to it and see if it sounds any better.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 01-15-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Can these settings be applied on the standard system on f 10. I am waiting for mine to arrive but thought I should ask
Unfortunately not. This is only applicable to the Professional or 'Premium' systems. Both are actually the same, but they have a different name depending where you are in the world.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Great job! - Your settings sound better to me than all the settings I've tried on my own. Thank you.
Fantastic! The key to setting equalisation on any system is to cut wherever possible (-) and only boost where nessesary (+). The audiophile purists though will always argue that equalisation should be left flat (everything on 0). This originally came from the idea that this would most closely reproduce the sound as intended by the producer of the material. This view though only holds water if you have a really high end system in an environment with perfect acoustics. Something that a car stereo could never aspire to. I certainly think the equalisation in the F10 helps! It is definately one of the better OEM stereo's I've heard.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 01-15-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I have the standard system on my 535i. Question though, other cars I've owned with an equalizer, the equalizer overrode the basic treble and bass. On your settings it appears you're setting separate treble and bass as well as the separate frequency ranges within the equalizer. Actually, you said your bass was set to flat. Aren't these conflicting with each other, for example, your treble setting of +4 is affecting various ranges of your equalizer. Are you sure they work in concert?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-15-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I have the standard system on my 535i. Question though, other cars I've owned with an equalizer, the equalizer overrode the basic treble and bass. On your settings it appears you're setting separate treble and bass as well as the separate frequency ranges within the equalizer. Actually, you said your bass was set to flat. Aren't these conflicting with each other, for example, your treble setting of +4 is affecting various ranges of your equalizer. Are you sure they work in concert?
Bass and Treble along with the graphic all work simultaneously. The Bass and Treble controls are of the standard 'shelving' type (effect all frequencies above or below a set point on a curve). They have a different effect on the sound to the Graphic.

One of those where a sketch would help! :-)
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: '04 525i >'11 535i xDrive
Quote:

... Assuming my calculations were correct, the results were suprisingly flat. My preferred settings have a slight boost around 3Khz, but I like it that way…..
Great thread BimmerUKF10. As a fellow audiophile (lovely english Naim 500-series home hifi), and with an ordered F10 535xi being produced week 17 with the Professional HiFi, I was utterly pleased to read about your settings and measurements. To come up with this solely by ear seems like an impossible task.

Now, room correction (in the frequency domaine at least) is also becoming more and more used in home audio, in the digital domaine mostly. Do you know if the EQ in F10 is analogue or digital?

Also, with reference to the citation above; I didn't quite understand; did you calculate or measure the end result, or both?

Best regards. Vidar

Last edited by Vidar P; 04-10-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Registered Poser

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 2008 X5
Yes, but does the volume go to eleven? *said with british accent*
Old 04-10-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar P View Post
Great thread BimmerUKF10. As a fellow audiophile (lovely english Naim 500-series home hifi), and with an ordered F10 535xi being produced week 17 with the Professional HiFi, I was utterly pleased to read about your settings and measurements. To come up with this solely by ear seems like an impossible task.

Now, room correction (in the frequency domaine at least) is also becoming more and more used in home audio, in the digital domaine mostly. Do you know if the EQ in F10 is analogue or digital?

Also, with reference to the citation above; I didn't quite understand; did you calculate or measure the end result, or both?

Best regards. Vidar
Bit of both. I used a large diaphragm microphone (Neumann TLM103) that I'm used to and has a well published frequency responce. This was connected via a preamplifier to an oscilloscope. I then used the iPhone oscillator app as a signal generator, plotted results of a sweep and calculated the actual results by adding / subtracting the published curve of the Neumann.

The graphic on the BMW CIC is digital, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Analogue eq is great used under the correct circumstances and if it is well designed. Personally I'd rather have cheap digital processing than cheap analogue as the results are generally better. For all the BMW (harmon kardon) system is good, it is a car system and there are limits! Having said that, imagine if Naim did car audio?

It's worth pointing out my settings may not sound pleasing to everyone. If you like music that is bass heavy (and to be fair I occasionally do), a bit more boost on the shelving bass control might be desirable.