Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 525i >'11 535i xDrive
Thanks for great inputs! I would like to find a reasonably flat frequency response in the drivers position, so my question was aimed at finding out whether your suggested settings were measured as near flat as possible (in a car). In that case they're a great starting point!

With regards to Naim in car audio, they actually do make car audio. For Bentley.

http://www.naimaudio.com/naim-for-bentley

And I take it as a good sign that they use the same Dirac "Live" system as in the F10 Professional HiFi!

http://www.dirac.se/products.asp
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar P View Post
Thanks for great inputs! I would like to find a reasonably flat frequency response in the drivers position, so my question was aimed at finding out whether your suggested settings were measured as near flat as possible (in a car). In that case they're a great starting point!

With regards to Naim in car audio, they actually do make car audio. For Bentley.

http://www.naimaudio.com/naim-for-bentley

And I take it as a good sign that they use the same Dirac "Live" system as in the F10 Professional HiFi!

http://www.dirac.se/products.asp
I'd love a Bentley, but slightly out of my price range!

Not sure what Dirac has to do with the F10 since all the audio gear seems to be made by Harmon. Presumably they developed the Eq algorithms etc.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 AM

I think H/K ProLogic7 is out and Dirac is in for the F10. Loudspeakers are german Eton btw.
It was, as far as I know, H/K for the E60 Professional Logic7 system, but Dirac for the F10. Don't know who delivers the amplification though, it might be H/K for all I know.

http://www.dirac.se/bmw_products.asp

Last edited by Vidar P; 04-10-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post

It's worth pointing out my settings may not sound pleasing to everyone. If you like music that is bass heavy (and to be fair I occasionally do), a bit more boost on the shelving bass control might be desirable.
Yes, but they were a great starting point. I did put a little less high end and a little more low end in, but it was a great place to start!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I think H/K ProLogic7 is out and Dirac is in for the F10. Loudspeakers are german Eton btw.
It was, as far as I know, H/K for the E60 Professional Logic7 system, but Dirac for the F10. Don't know who delivers the amplification though, it might be H/K for all I know.

http://www.dirac.se/bmw_products.asp
Nah! The head unit, amplifier and combox have Harman stickers all over them. Check out my other thread part 1:-

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=531940

Dirac must have assisted with the software / Eq.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 04-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, but they were a great starting point. I did put a little less high end and a little more low end in, but it was a great place to start!
Thanks Decaf - glad they worked for you!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Before my iDrive started rebooting and became unusable (see iDrive rebooting thread), I spent considerable time playing with the graphic settings trying to get the best from the F10's Professional audio system (think it's called 'Premium' in the US). The settings below give the best overall sound (to my ears at least).

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

The surround just seems to add copious amounts of reverb and wrecks the sound IMO.
I initially set everything up using my ears, then used some sine wave test files with a large diaphram mic who's responce I'm familiar with and an oscilloscope (yes - I'm into audio!). Assuming my calculations were correct, the results were suprisingly flat. My preferred settings have a slight boost around 3Khz, but I like it that way. Makes you wonder why they can't equalise the default settings better.
Tried your settings for a day or two now; and it seems far better than the standard "flat" in an audiophile sence. Thanks a lot!

However, I think you are right that it gives a slight peak in or around the presence area. Compared to my inhouse Naim 500-series/KEF 207/2 system (which is supposed to be rather flat and also measures rather flat) and my Naim Headline/Sennheiser HD800 headfi which also is supposed to be rather flat; there is an obvious "zing" or elevation of energy in this frequency region, which is easily removed however by reducing some of the frequencys above 2khz by on or two steps, the entire treble, or perhaps both. By turning down the energy at 5khz, 10khz and total treble one or two notches I think I achieved a more earfriendly, neutral and insightful balance which resembles that of an ultra-highend system (or even live music) even better.

Have you done any more experimentation with your settings?

Last edited by Vidar P; 07-02-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix Dark Graphite
Quote:
Tried your settings for a day or two now; and it seems far better than the standard "flat" in an audiophile sence. Thanks a lot!

However, I think you are right that it gives a slight peak in or around the presence area. Compared to my inhouse Naim 500-series/KEF 207/2 system (which is supposed to be rather flat and also measures rather flat) and my Naim Headline/Sennheiser HD800 headfi which also is supposed to be rather flat; there is an obvious "zing" or elevation of energy in this frequency region, which is easily removed however by reducing some of the frequencys above 2khz by on or two steps, the entire treble, or perhaps both. By turning down the energy at 5khz, 10khz and total treble one or two notches I think I achieved a more earfriendly, neutral and insightful balance which resembles that of an ultra-highend system (or even live music) even better.

Have you done any more experimentation with your settings?
Can you post your settings??
Old 07-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Same as BimmerUKF10's settings, except;

Treble = 0 - +1 (undecided yet)
5khz = +1
10khz = +3

Removes the high frequency focus, and in my subjective view seems a bit more natural overall. I think Bimmer's settings was very effective in removing a certain inherent bass boom (slowness and overhang) in the standard settings, and also in achieving a smoother and more articulate midrange balance. But as he said himself was a bit tilted towards the top end. So this is just a downtilt based on shortterm listening and subjectiveness.

Warning; my settings might be subject to further adjustments though, as this is just the findings after a few days of shortterm listening.

Last edited by Vidar P; 07-02-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix Dark Graphite
Quote:
Same as BimmerUKF10's settings, except;

Treble = 0 - +1 (undecided yet)
5khz = +1
10khz = +3

Removes the high frequency focus, and in my subjective view seems a bit more natural overall. I think Bimmer's settings was very effective in removing a certain inherent bass boom (slowness and overhang) in the standard settings, and also in achieving a smoother and more articulate midrange balance. But as he said himself was a bit tilted towards the top end. So this is just a downtilt based on shortterm listening and subjectiveness.

Warning; my settings might be subject to further adjustments though, as this is just the findings after a few days of shortterm listening.
Thank you, haven't done too much tuning to the system yet but will give these a try, thanks again.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
I have used the settings posted and overall I am very happy. I would like more bass. I just finished my ED about 1000 mi.

Am I better using the EQ or Bass setting. I'm no audiophile for sure. TIA.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Thank you, haven't done too much tuning to the system yet but will give these a try, thanks again.
Yeah - my settings have changed a fair bit since I published this, however I have added an additional amplifier and bass speaker, so my new settings would be fairly irrelevant to the standard system.

I'm considering replacing the factory amplification altogether and installing good quality amplifiers and a high end DSP. Main thing holding me up is being able to interface with the F10's optical system. There is a company that makes a solution, but they haven't yet releases a version for the F10. Watch this space for another install guide in the next few months
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
I have used the settings posted and overall I am very happy. I would like more bass. I just finished my ED about 1000 mi.

Am I better using the EQ or Bass setting. I'm no audiophile for sure. TIA.
If your starting with my suggested settings, the 'bass' control will probably give you the best results. If you want more baas than the system can offer, you may want to consider adding a subwoofer. I have written a couple of guides on how to do this. They are on this forum if you do a search.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Quote:

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

How can I access these settings plz? I got Premium Package & Premium Package 2….. but when I go to Settings-->Tone, I see way less options!

THX
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emimix View Post
How can I access these settings plz? I got Premium Package & Premium Package 2….. but when I go to Settings-->Tone, I see way less options!

THX
I have no idea what the premium packages include since we don't have them in Europe. It's a US only thing. You MUST have 'Premium Audio' to have the graphic equaliser. Assuming you do it should be obvious under 'tone'.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
From the manual -

Adjusting the equalizer
1. "CD/Multimedia", "Radio" or "Settings"
2. "Tone"
3. "Equalizer"
4. Select the desired setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emimix View Post

THX
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Can't wait to try the suggested settings.

Has anyone had issues with the sound quality of Sirius/XM? The sound from satellite radio doesn't seem to be as natural as the other modes (radio/CD/Ipod), which is contrary to what I had expected. The higher frequencies are accentuated, and at times is not bearable (sounds like a whining in the background). I have tried several different settings and found that the best sound is when I have "surround sound" set to off, and the equalizer and other settings at close to flat. of course when I listen to my other sources, I have to change the equalizer back to my preferred settings. Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
any update to this thread? I went with the OP's settings + Vidar P's changes from the moment I got in the car...the sales rep actually did it while I was reading out the settings to him when we were doing the initial setup.

It sounds great, but I do find these settings a bit heavy on the bass side but did'nt want to mess with it, since i"m no audiophile and thought thats the way it's supposed to be. I am not sure whether to raise the treble a few more points or just lower the bass from 0 to a -1.

2011 528i- sport, p1, p2, conv, xenon, apps, 40% Huper Optik, DVDinmotion
2008 m3- (retired)
2002 330i- (retired)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Infoe; I certainly agree with you. The Bass 0 setting is a bit heavy in the long run, for most material. And the Treble +4 has proved far too explicit for me. The EQ settings seems very good though, as they seem to flatten out the overall frequencyresponse very effectively, at least after tailoring the bass/treble a bit.

Coming from a "neutral" home highend hifi system, BimmerUK's settings, although very engaging and explicit, will seem a bit coloured, or a frequency response graphically a bit like a hammock if you like.

At this point (my car is just 4 weeks old) I've kept the essence of BimmerUK's EQ as it seems very flat, but ended up Bass -1 and treble -1 (actually!) as this gives voices on the radio a very natural quality, and seems to let music sound more alive and natural too. I've also flattened out the fader to 0.

Very entertaining thread BTW, as infoe I hope it stays alive!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Now that I took delivery of my B5 last saturday, I'm rather leaning to Vidar_P's "flatter" treble settings. With more treble boost, I'm tending to experience listening fatigue.

So my currents settings are based on those from BimmerUKF10 with following changes... tested i.e. with Vivaldi, Norah Jones, Popa Chubby, Nine Inch Nails and many more:
Treble +1
Bass +1 (I agree that 0 is more neutral, but IMHO a car is a different listening environment than at home and can stand a bit more)
EQ:
1kHz +1
5kHz +1
10kHz +3

I fully agree on switching Surround off, it does more harm than good! Even with disabled surround effect, I've never had a car audio system with such good imaging.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Before my iDrive started rebooting and became unusable (see iDrive rebooting thread), I spent considerable time playing with the graphic settings trying to get the best from the F10's Professional audio system (think it's called 'Premium' in the US). The settings below give the best overall sound (to my ears at least).

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

The surround just seems to add copious amounts of reverb and wrecks the sound IMO.
I initially set everything up using my ears, then used some sine wave test files with a large diaphram mic who's responce I'm familiar with and an oscilloscope (yes - I'm into audio!). Assuming my calculations were correct, the results were suprisingly flat. My preferred settings have a slight boost around 3Khz, but I like it that way. Makes you wonder why they can't equalise the default settings better.
Thank you bimmerukf10
The specs you suggested for the equalizer has greatly improved the sound in my audio system......I added a little more bass and it
Blew me away with the improvement......thank you for your advice
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i White M Sport
Thanks for the great info. I assume the electronics for the premium audio are Harmon Kardon, but are the speakers as well? Do you know the exact size and configuration in the 2012 535i?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Does anyone know exact specs of 2012 535i Premium Sound system? Assume that it is superior to standard, but haven't been able to dig up exact information. Waiting for my car to be loaded onto a boat for the ride the States, so finding things to research to keep me distracted... Thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
They will never tell you.....will never be able to figure out what the big frigging secret is
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw535xi
Awesome sound . . .much better. Thanks