Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I got Armadilloed Tonight

Coming home from a nice evening out I looked down one second and the wife screams, oh no and I pop my head up just in time to see the armadillo roll into a ball right in front of me. First thing after the bump that went through my mind was there goes the front spoiler!

Pulled over and no damage! I guess him rolling to a ball, he just bumped off the front end, he was not in the road and I did not roll over him.

Not the kind of excitement I was looking for.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Ads by Google
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: e46
lol those are funny little creatures. I wish we had them up here in the northeast.. I caught one last year when I was down in Florida. Well, I'm glad it didn't ruin your bumper!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Glad your car and the armadillo are OK

I had no idea they could ball up like that ... I wonder how far he bounced off

Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Fun fact. Don't ever touch an Armadillo. Some types of Armadillo carry leprosy.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 AM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: Z4 Si, 330i
Glad for the lack of damage. I come out of the sticks to work daily. At 5:30am occassionally its like dodgeball with the possums, armidillos and deer. I think the racoons sit on the side of the road and watch.

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.
03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 125K and rollin!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

I kringe at road kill. I see it every day making deliveries and sales calls. I do my best to avoid hitting any animal but I have struck my fair share. Sometimes there is just no way around it.

I don't know why he went into a ball like that unless the head light scared him. If he had stayed open I know I would have killed him and I am sure I would have done damage. So maybe he's ok.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
I just learned more in two minutes here than about 30 minutes on Discovery Channel. Thanks for that. This is good stuff.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
No armadillos here (Upstate SC) but we do have plenty of possums. Armadillos are just possums on the half-shell.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

We call them the same thing in south georgia.

We took a ride Sunday afternoon and I went by the spot that he should have been and there was no body so I am hoping he went off into the woods non the worse for wear.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan S M3, Evolve M5, X3
ive never seen an armadillo... but we have squirrels that get squished by cars all the time here really sad
Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
I once hit a jackrabbit at 80mph in my M5. It exploded. The underside of my car looked like the fan shaft from Alien 3 (you know the scene!). It also cracked my bumper cover and broke a foglight. An expensive critter and all I got as a trophy was a small bunch of fur
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
When I was around 10, my dad and I chased down a 'modiller on foot out in some woods at a friend's house. We caught it and brought it back live to the party (we didn't know any better.) My dad's friend (there may have been alchohol involved) decided to barbecue it up. I did not eat any.

My most memorable roadkill hit was some 20 years ago when I hit a raccoon in my '91 MR2 Turbo. Bizarre thing was it was just a few blocks from my home, a mile from downtown Houston. I guess they don't need much for a habitat....I have also seen possums around my 'hood.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: z4M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I once hit a jackrabbit at 80mph in my M5. It exploded. The underside of my car looked like the fan shaft from Alien 3 (you know the scene!). It also cracked my bumper cover and broke a foglight. An expensive critter and all I got as a trophy was a small bunch of fur
you made me LOL!!

I don't know what I ran over but when I stepped out of my car I smelled crap. It was all over the side of my car. I guess the little critter crapped his panth or I squeezed it out of him. That was disgusting.

Other most random road kill actually fell from the sky. It was an egg the size of a 5lb bowling ball. We all saw it fall and break my windshield. It smelled rotten and the yolk covered the entire windshield. We pulled over and was looking for a terradactyl This was in the middle of nowhere and no nowhere to hide....
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
you made me LOL!!

I don't know what I ran over but when I stepped out of my car I smelled crap. It was all over the side of my car. I guess the little critter crapped his panth or I squeezed it out of him. That was disgusting.

Other most random road kill actually fell from the sky. It was an egg the size of a 5lb bowling ball. We all saw it fall and break my windshield. It smelled rotten and the yolk covered the entire windshield. We pulled over and was looking for a terradactyl This was in the middle of nowhere and no nowhere to hide....
-Prior to owning BMWs my wife's windshield was hit with a head of a shovel that came out of nowhere.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Drivewfo
Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster
My wife was riding in our bro-in-law's F-150 when out of the corner of her eye she saw a turkey flying at the windshield. She had just enough time to duck down as the turkey crashed through the windshield and exploded inside the truck. She was fine, thank God, but the turkey looked like it went through a wood chipper... IT WAS NASTY STUFF.
2002 Alpine White 325i Steptronic (gone)
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
As a 10-year old I once threw a horseshoe at a car . . . and hit it . . . and in turn was run down by it's owner, who turned out to be on the University of Iowa track team. Fortunately, for me, his wife was in the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan S M3, Evolve M5, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris View Post
As a 10-year old I once threw a horseshoe at a car . . . and hit it . . . and in turn was run down by it's owner, who turned out to be on the University of Iowa track team. Fortunately, for me, his wife was in the car.
i'd have picked your ass up, dragged you to your parents and demanded them to pay for the damages.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
I hit an armadilla in an MGB once; we dodged each other as much as we could, but I got him with the left rear wheel. It felt like I had driven over a cinder block; the backend bounced in the air, and I was just about thrown out of the seat, yanked back by the seatbelt!

You definitely want to avoid hitting armadillos with a low riding car.

I have a few more armadillo stories from living in Louisiana, and they all have a happier ending than this one

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 red
I'm not trying to play top the other guy; but here in upstate NY we have to look out for deer and even meese. Believe me, you don't want to hit one with your Z. I had a glancing run in with a deer two years ago in my minivan and the estimate was over $2,500.00. The deer ran off. Several years ago on our road a woman hit a dear, it went through her front window and took her out. Very sad.

I once steped on an armadillo hidden by the tall grass outside of Hamond LA, I almost had a heart attack. The locals who saw my face fell down holding there sides. It must have been a sight.

Richard

Last edited by rfeirste; 12-14-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Lets see.....

1. Skunk - 1
2. Possum - 3
3. Armadillo - 2
4. Deer - 1
5. Dog - 1
6. Owl - 1
7. Fox Squirrel - 1
8. Regular Squirrel - 1/2 dozen or so.
9. Buzzard - 1
10. Turtles - 1/2 dozen or so
11. Cats - 1
12. Small Birds - 1/2 dozen or so
13. Love Bugs - Millions and Millions

So far that is pretty much it. I wish I had a camera the day I came across a 3 foot wide snapping turtle on Hwy 37 between Adel and Moultrie. He had traffic stopped in both directions for 30 minutes before he decided he did not want to sun any more and moved back into the ditch. That was the days before camera's in cell phones. I drove up to it and thought it was a rock, got out and walked up to it just as its legs poped out and that head swung around in my direction, I knew what it was an haul my butt back to the truck! Those guys are something you don't play with, loose a finger that way.

And just so you know, I did not intended to hit any of those animals. If I could have safely moved out of the way to avoid hitting them I would have.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member

Last edited by STIHLBOLTS; 12-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Quote:
The dumb things we do at those ages confound us now that we are older. I would agree with you, lucky for you his wife was in the car and did not want him going to jail for murder, justified or not.

I imagine you were not able to sit down for a very long time.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
The dumb things we do at those ages confound us now that we are older. I would agree with you, lucky for you his wife was in the car and did not want him going to jail for murder, justified or not.

I imagine you were not able to sit down for a very long time.
Dented his old Ford Falcooooon!!! He was pretty mad, but looking back I think he was pretty pleased with being able to run me down (I was FAST, he was FAST longer!! ) He did take me home, but now one was home. He took my phone number (I gave him the correct one, as I was scared to death ) and told me to tell my parents everything so that when he called that evening they already would know what I did. Well, being the total little **** that I was, I failed to confess to my folks and just about died again and again each time the phone rang that evening. Of course, that's the last time I tossed a horseshoe at a car. Boy, I was a really bad kid and certainly deserved lots worse with respect to my own child.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
I'm out in the sticks half the time lost count of all the natures little speed bumps i hit. is it me or is it always when you look away from the road they pop out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Lets see.....

1. Skunk - 1
2. Possum - 3
3. Armadillo - 2
4. Deer - 1
5. Dog - 1
6. Owl - 1
7. Fox Squirrel - 1
8. Regular Squirrel - 1/2 dozen or so.
9. Buzzard - 1
10. Turtles - 1/2 dozen or so
11. Cats - 1
12. Small Birds - 1/2 dozen or so
13. Love Bugs - Millions and Millions

So far that is pretty much it. I wish I had a camera the day I came across a 3 foot wide snapping turtle on Hwy 37 between Adel and Moultrie. He had traffic stopped in both directions for 30 minutes before he decided he did not want to sun any more and moved back into the ditch. That was the days before camera's in cell phones. I drove up to it and thought it was a rock, got out and walked up to it just as its legs poped out and that head swung around in my direction, I knew what it was an haul my butt back to the truck! Those guys are something you don't play with, loose a finger that way.

And just so you know, I did not intended to hit any of those animals. If I could have safely moved out of the way to avoid hitting them I would have.
How's the deer turn out? and dude an owl?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Mike

Send a message via ICQ to Mike Clark Send a message via AIM to Mike Clark Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Clark
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M Roadster
You can add a full grown Coyote to the list at about 75 mph on a 4 lane divided highway. I was in my Z3M at the time. Did a job on the front fiberglass, pushed the left turn signal wiring into the steering and sent me into a 180, so when I came to a stop was facing oncoming traffic, but fortunately I was able to backup onto the shoulder to stay out of the driving lanes. It took me a few minutes to compose myself after that incident! The Coyote didn't survive. The car was healed after a couple of days of surgery.
1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster Red (gone but not forgotten)
2008 328i Sedan Gold
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

The deer hit my rear quarter panel, jumped over my trunk and disappeared into the woods. I popped out the panel with one bump of the heel of my hand. It had a slight crease close to the tail light that unless you knew where to look you could not see it.

The owl was unfortunate, I should have ran on over him and he might have been alright. We were on a dirt road and he just dropped down out of a tree right in front of my hood, he must have been after something (Mouse). I heard the noise under the hood after I slammed on brakes and the fan got him. He was one of those small owls, about the size of my fist.

Tonight the wife almost got it right in town, coming home she had a buck run right in front of her! She missed it by inches in her Tahoe. KFC went flying!

This crazy weather has got the deer moving around!

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member