Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.8is
X5 4.8is SELFLEVEL SUSP INACTIVE!!!

HELP!!! I recently bought a 2005 BMW X5 4.8is. I love the car but after one month I noticed that the passanger side front would drop down if the car sat for over any hour. When I turned on the car it would self level the suspension. Then I noticed that the pump was running more than it should. Even when I had the car set at the middle suspension setting the passanger side was always about an inch lower. I'm thinking the setttings were off.
So now the problem is I got the "selflevel susp inact" warning. I've already checked all the fuses in the rear of the car. They are all working. I'm worried that the pump went bad. So my question is, could there be something else wrong that I can check and if not how much does a new pump cost?

I really hope I dont have to drop a ton of cash on this stupid thing considering that I just bought it 2 months ago. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to rph74
Mein Auto: 98 540ia Sport
Likely one of the air springs is leaky. A fairly easy DIY.

If you really want to try and save money you can try using tire slime in the leaky air spring. I used Green Slime. I only did this to hold me over as I was waiting for coil springs to come in. It ended up working without fail until I got the coil springs in there.

The best thing I ever did was to get rid of the air suspension!

An armed society is a polite society

Last edited by rph74; 12-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks. About a week ago the air compressor started working again and everything seemed to be alright. Then after a cold night and some snow the warning light came back on and again I have no air compressor. I still think I have a leaky air bag but what I dont understand is why does the compressor decided to stop working? I cant get the car to BMW untill next week so do you think the car is safe to dive with no air in the front left bag?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Sorry, just saw your post. Any updates? FWIW I have driven with no air in on of the rear air springs and made it home fine. But the ride was VERY rough and bumpy.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW x5 4.8is
Tilt in left front driver side of x5 4.8is

I have the same issue. Just bought 06 4.8is and noticed the same thing (left front driver side) has a tilt without the "selflevel susp inactive" warning. I took it to the dealer and guess what? The suspention bag is leaking. $1400 to fix. I called the parts Dep. And found out that the part alone costs $1100 (the said u have to buy the full left front suspension including the bag). Was thinking of getting an extended warranty but not sure if they'll cover this issue. I think I'll fix it Before the motor gives on me. Can anyone tell me if I can change to springs instead and how much will it cost, can a regular auto mechanic replace it?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsaleh View Post
I have the same issue. Just bought 06 4.8is and noticed the same thing (left front driver side) has a tilt without the "selflevel susp inactive" warning. I took it to the dealer and guess what? The suspention bag is leaking. $1400 to fix. I called the parts Dep. And found out that the part alone costs $1100 (the said u have to buy the full left front suspension including the bag). Was thinking of getting an extended warranty but not sure if they'll cover this issue. I think I'll fix it Before the motor gives on me. Can anyone tell me if I can change to springs instead and how much will it cost, can a regular auto mechanic replace it?
Yes you can change to springs. I did so on my rear air suspension on my 01 X5 4.4. You would simply use the coil spring setup used on the X5 3.0 with no air suspension. The tricky part is getting the computer programmed so that you no longer get a self susp inactive light. I got mine done in Chicagoland successfully.

I spent a total of $750 (for the parts, labor at an indy to install the springs, and labor at a Chicago area BMW dealership to eliminate the warning light). It was the best thing I ever did. There is NO difference at all in ride or handling. The peace of mind of having a proper coil spring setup is priceless. You would probably spend another $500 or so to replace the front ones also, assuming that all you need to do is install coil springs in place of air springs.

Last edited by rph74; 01-10-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsaleh View Post
I believe I have a leaky bag as well. I found a strut online thats rebuilt for about $550 with a warrenty too. I think my best bet is to buy that and put it in myself. I cant justify giving the dealer $1400 for something that will take me about 3 hours.
I do have another question. On one of these forums I saw that BMW uses a sensor with 6 holes in it but only 3 are used. So the other 3 fill with water and short out the suspension system. My question is, is this true and where is the sensor?