Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Parking lights stay on

On my 95 M3, the parking lights stay on even when I rotate the headlight swich to the off postion. The dash lights, however, turn off as they should. The headlight switch is not as tight as it used to be and is my primary suspect for now. They headlights will turn on with the key in the start position and turn off with the switch. The license plate lights turn on and off as they should. Can someone please chime in and help resolve this situation? Also, I was unable to get the starter to engage this morning.... no click or anything. The battery has plenty of juice. I do not know if the two problems are related.

Last edited by supra-raleigh; 10-20-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

The headlight switch has broken down internally. It's built like a group of contacts in a circle. Turning the knob closes various contacts depending on the knob position. What happens is the plastic detents deteriorate and the pieces either prevent contacts from closing, or force others closed even when they aren't supposed to be. This is a well documented problem with the E36. All you can do is replace the switch.

You say you battery has "plenty of juice". Have you tested it with a volt meter? If the light switch has drained it, it's probably low. One other thing to check is the physical connections to the battery. Clean the posts and clamps and the ground cable connection to the chassis. A parasitic drain seems to promote corrosion at the clamps. Maybe it's my imagination, but all the cars I've had problems with parasitic drains had clamp corrosion problems, too.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Symptoms gone... Aftermarket K-9 alarm system now suspect

I pullled parking light fuse no. 33 and the lights still remained on. Again, the license plate lights work and turn off properly. I decided to charge the battery. An hour later the parking lights turned off and the car started. So, evidently the problems (lights on and no crank) are likely related.

Next, I decided to see if pulling the parking light fuse would turn off the lights - the lights turned off this time as opposed to the first time. The computer then read as expected "Tail Light Failure".

I am now considering the aftermarket K-9 alarm system, which has been problematic since installation years ago, to be the primary suspect. It may be causing the lights to remain on while suppressing the starter. Does this sound like a short or a bad ground?

Last edited by supra-raleigh; 10-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Removed the K-9 alarm.. Car now starts

Car starts and the lights now operate properly. I removed the alarm system module. I am trying to figure out why the alarm system malfunctioned as I would like to have the keyless entry function back at the very least.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:25 AM

Issue resolved: K-9 Mundial-2 and K-9 Mundial-4 modules are compatible

This info is also on my other post. I purchased off ebay a new K-9 Mundial-4 system. I used my existing wires that were still on the car. It works great now, I have two shinny new transmitters that programmed easily. However, the original transmitters from the K-9 Mundial-2 system, even with a new battery, do not seem compatible. I hope my experience will help someone else out.

PS- I opened the old module and the capacitors appear to have leaked onto the motherboard. I will be sure to istall the new module with the wire side facing down so that if the capacitors leak, at least the will not fall on the motherboard, which will be oriented above the capacitors.

Last edited by supra-raleigh; 11-18-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Alarm systems and aftermarket audio systems are the cause of more grief than can be calculated. Glad you got it sorted!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?