Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
A little shudder as I decelerate to a stop - 08 535xit auto

Hi all,

Just wondering if this is normal - just like the title says, the car emits a minor shudder as I come to a complete stop and RPMs reach 600.

It feels exactly like when you are driving a manual transmission and you leave it in gear as you come to a stop, you get a minor shudder as the engine falls below a stable RPM (this grows to a major shudder before it stalls).

Same feeling here except it goes away pretty quickly.

My wife noticed it first and now I've driven it a few times I notice it as well.

Any thoughts?

Joe
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Joe -did you ever get this resolved and if so what was it?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Difinitely not normal. Sounds like it could be clutch related. Check for codes.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM

Ok, I'm gonna bring it in. Nothing is reported through the iDrive system checks and what not (though I'm still learning that system).

P.s. I kinda wanted to put some more miles on it before bringing it in for the first time so that I could have everything addressed all at once.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Have BMW do a full diagnostic scan of all modules to see if anything is stored in the DME history. This may shed more light on the issue you are having.
Also remember that everything in that car is electronic, so you need to approach it like a giant computer. That means first priority is to always ensure the battery is healthy. During extremely cold weather the battery can lose strength, and also many sensors and circuits can malfunction. This problem typically goes away as the car and the weather warms up. It's Physics 101.
Notice how slow iDrive operates on a really cold morning. Then after a few minutes the heat from electricity going through the wires, screen and processor warms everything up and you get crisper performance. Something to consider as part of the detective work.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
Have BMW do a full diagnostic scan of all modules to see if anything is stored in the DME history. This may shed more light on the issue you are having.
Also remember that everything in that car is electronic, so you need to approach it like a giant computer. That means first priority is to always ensure the battery is healthy. During extremely cold weather the battery can lose strength, and also many sensors and circuits can malfunction. This problem typically goes away as the car and the weather warms up. It's Physics 101.
Notice how slow iDrive operates on a really cold morning. Then after a few minutes the heat from electricity going through the wires, screen and processor warms everything up and you get crisper performance. Something to consider as part of the detective work.
I actually had a new battery put in as part of the purhcase, because it was dead when we went for our first test drive. Also, when getting tinted a few days ago, the date/time was lost and I think it was because the battery was draining while the doors were left open.