Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
I went through the same analysis and opted for the X5 35d. With all the discounts, it was close to the same price. No question that 3-4 years down the road the X5 will be worth more which translates into an overall lower cost of ownership. I've had it for a couple of days now and I couldn't be happier! In a couple of years when we are ready to replace our other car, the X3 will get a loooooog look as the bugs will have been worked out and perhaps a turbo 4 diesel will be offered.

I saw the new X3 while picking up my X5. It is a very big improvement from the original with respect to space and looks. And I loved my 2004 X3.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Let Apple rewrite iDrive

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
To the OP, if you already have a cargo hauler, and you're not worried about long-term resale value, then I'd get the loaded X3. It will have all the nice touches -- bells and whistles that you may regret not having later. Additionally, it will be more nimble to drive, easier to maneuver in crowded cities, and easier to park.
  • Dakota Black+Ruthenium
  • 6-speed manual
  • Sport Package
  • Premium Sound Package
  • Cold Weather Package
  • HUD
  • Sirius satellite radio
  • Upgraded to M6 wheels upon delivery
  • iPod adapter upgrade 11/2007
  • 35% window tint
  • 3M Paint Protection Film
Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
Yeah, like I said, I do have a minivan for the wife and three kids, and road trips, etc...

I would like to say 'when I need to take three kids in my car' but the reality is that when I take three, it would be in the minivan.

I did test drive the X5 4.8 at the urging of the dealer a week or two ago and it was great, but it is a large car for sure.
And I really liked it (of course..it had 400 horsepower). But however you slice it - even with year end discounts - the car will be $55,000 or thereabouts and i dont want a car in new england without heated seats and a weak stereo, etc...

Another factor - and some might say "F--k it!" is that im a school teacher in rural area and granted a new x3 or x5 wont make much of a difference to most people, a new x5 is bigger and i will get the comments for sure...

If its me most of the time and my bikes, etc.. then a car like the x3 is perfect.

Again, MDX - dealer just way too far for me.

Audi Q5 - seems REALLY small in the back area and dealer is a bit far

T-reg - close dealer, but just didn't love the drive and didnt love how you can't choose specific options: leather, good stereo. I would have to get into the 55's $ for the good stereo and thats just not an option. Plus dealer experience isnt the greatest in the service department.

New Ford Explorer - i'd be willing to test drive it, but i know it will not be in the same class whatsoever as the x3. not sure about the touch screen for everything as well.

I know there are many other cars/trucks to look at but i like to drive and sometimes im alone, sometimes hauling minor stuff here and there and sometimes with kids as well and it s e e m s as though the x3 could fit the bill.

but i am no real rush and might wait for MSRP to not be what dealers are asking for.

Also, ive got to test drive the car !!!

Last edited by stgreen; 12-28-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I took a tape measure with me to get real life measurements here is what I found:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=500030

BTW school teacher and you can afford a BMW. Nice to know you folks are finally getting paid right for what you do
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Evl, Out here in CA the school teachers do quite well. The school administrators do even better! The teachers have a strong union and hold our beloved progressive state legislators in thrall. BMW's, Benzes, Lexi, etc are not unusual in the teacher parking lots here. However, they are not unusual in the student lots either. A teacher driving a new X5 would not be strange nor would it incite comment, other than perhaps what kind of a deal he got and from whom. He would just park next to the XJ8, CLS500 and the LS460 in the parking lot.

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-28-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: Lotus Seven & X3 35i
stgreen's original question was:
"Stripper X5 or Nicely equipped X3? "
He obviously forgot the comma between "Stripper" and "X5"
You guys got it all wrong!

The correct answer is "Stripper" (Just be sure she's over 18) :-)