Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i
Replaced the OEM tires - wow!

Wow, what a difference with quality tires on the F10.

My 550i M-Sport came with Michelin Primacy HP ZP (Zero Pressure = runflat in Michelin lingo). These are classified as Grand Touring Summer, which is disappointing based on BMW stating the Sport package tires were "summer performance" which means to me something like Potenza RA050A RFT. I thought the "Increased top speed limiter" on the Sport package was 150-155, and the Primacy tires are only Z-rated (149 mph). That's not much margin of safety if you attend track day events.

I also had a severe vibration and noise issue with the left-front Primacy being out-of-round by at least 27 lbs on the Hunter road-force balancer (I believe that equates to .27" which is pretty significant). Suppoesdly BMW road-force balances either at factory or PDC so I don't see how this one slipped through.

Anyway, the combination of the lackluster, noisy, vague-handling Primacy tires, the Z-rating and the vibration issue (though my dealer is replacing the bad tire) convinced me to upgrade the Primacy setup to the perennially well-regarded Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (non-runflat).

The difference with the PS2 is night and day. Steering feel is better, feedback is significantly improved, turn-in is dramatically crisper (steering ratio actually feels quicker), and road noise is both reduced and moved to a different, less fatiguing frequency band. It's not hyperbole when i say it feels like a completely different car. This was SO worth the money.

I really think BMW is doing the F10 a disservice with the Primacy tires. The Bridgestone RA050A RFT on my 2008 650i were far better.

KC
2008 650i Coupe (traded in)
2008 335i Coupe (wife's)
2006 Z4 3.0si
2006 650i Coupe (retired)
1999 540i (retired)
1995 M3 (retired)
(other makes excluded)
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCComp View Post

My 550i M-Sport came with Michelin Primacy HP ZP (Zero Pressure = runflat in Michelin lingo). These are classified as Grand Touring Summer, which is disappointing based on BMW stating the Sport package tires were "summer performance" which means to me something like Potenza RA050A RFT. I thought the "Increased top speed limiter" on the Sport package was 150-155, and the Primacy tires are only Z-rated (149 mph). That's not much margin of safety if you attend track day events.

I also had a severe vibration and noise issue with the left-front Primacy being out-of-round by at least 27 lbs on the Hunter road-force balancer (I believe that equates to .27" which is pretty significant). Suppoesdly BMW road-force balances either at factory or PDC so I don't see how this one slipped through.

Anyway, the combination of the lackluster, noisy, vague-handling Primacy tires, the Z-rating and the vibration issue (though my dealer is replacing the bad tire) convinced me to upgrade the Primacy setup to the perennially well-regarded Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (non-runflat).

The difference with the PS2 is night and day. Steering feel is better, feedback is significantly improved, turn-in is dramatically crisper (steering ratio actually feels quicker), and road noise is both reduced and moved to a different, less fatiguing frequency band. It's not hyperbole when i say it feels like a completely different car. This was SO worth the money.

I really think BMW is doing the F10 a disservice with the Primacy tires. The Bridgestone RA050A RFT on my 2008 650i were far better.

KC

Unfortunately run flats have not been embraced by other car manufacturers so the choices are virtually non existent if you want to stay with them. The PS2 is a great tire handling wise and will be far superior to the stock tire in every way except tire wear which will not be good since the compound is much softer.
What are you doing about a spare?
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver624@aol.co View Post
Unfortunately run flats have not been embraced by other car manufacturers so the choices are virtually non existent if you want to stay with them. The PS2 is a great tire handling wise and will be far superior to the stock tire in every way except tire wear which will not be good since the compound is much softer.
What are you doing about a spare?
I've had PS2 tires on my Nissan Maxima, and I've typically gotten around 40,000 miles out of a set (mostly highway, with a few spirited runs up in the hills). Now I have my 550, I'm considering the PS2 to replace the stock Contis when they wear out. Anybody with any thoughts on how the PS2 compares with the Contis?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
I've had PS2 tires on my Nissan Maxima, and I've typically gotten around 40,000 miles out of a set (mostly highway, with a few spirited runs up in the hills). Now I have my 550, I'm considering the PS2 to replace the stock Contis when they wear out. Anybody with any thoughts on how the PS2 compares with the Contis?
I had conti's on the M3 E90, dumped them straight away for PS2's never looked back, far better tyre all round, NOT for SNOW though.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I had conti's on the M3 E90, dumped them straight away for PS2's never looked back, far better tyre all round, NOT for SNOW though.
No snow where I live LOL! How many miles have you gotten out of a set, or if you haven't had to replace them, how many miles do you have, and are they showing wear?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Diver624

Quote:
Depends on which Conti. your talking about (the new Conti. Sport Contact 3 is a very good tire) but the PS2 is a great tire. I think because the BMW 5 series is a heavier car than the Maxima you won't get close to 40,000 miles.
What about the spare issue, would you just keep a can of tire sealant in the trunk?
Porsche 993 Cab.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Good reading here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

PS2's are the benchmark. But there are others with equal or better performance.

(just not the Ling Longs, LOLLERS).
Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Depends on which Conti. your talking about (the new Conti. Sport Contact 3 is a very good tire) but the PS2 is a great tire. I think because the BMW 5 series is a heavier car than the Maxima you won't get close to 40,000 miles.
What about the spare issue, would you just keep a can of tire sealant in the trunk?
Currently have the OEM Sport Contact 3 on the 550, and I'm so far pretty happy with them. As far as the spare, the 550 with the Sport Package came with a spare from the factory. I'm still a ways away from needing new tires, but I'll be considering the PS2 when I do.

Keith
Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Diver624

Quote:
Currently have the OEM Sport Contact 3 on the 550, and I'm so far pretty happy with them. As far as the spare, the 550 with the Sport Package came with a spare from the factory. I'm still a ways away from needing new tires, but I'll be considering the PS2 when I do.

Keith
I believe all new 5 series come with run flats and no spare, unfortunately.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
No snow where I live LOL! How many miles have you gotten out of a set, or if you haven't had to replace them, how many miles do you have, and are they showing wear?
I did 10K miles in the M3 with them, NO track days.
The rears were still @ 4.5mm, fronts 5.5/6mm.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I believe all new 5 series come with run flats and no spare, unfortunately.
Nope. 550 with sport package comes with a spare, no run flats, at least in 2008.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Nope. 550 with sport package comes with a spare, no run flats, at least in 2008.
2008 is not new.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCComp View Post
Re-read your post and picked up on this phrase. I wouldn't say that it's fair to say "quality" tires so much as "performance summer" tires. The OE summer tires (even though they are summers) are hampered by their RFT capability as well as their overall design mission. They are designed much more toward the comfort end of the spectrum, rather than the PS2 which is designed to give you the ultimate of performance in wet and dry (as opposed to say a Pilot Sport Cup which is dastardly in the rain).

It is as natural to feel those differences making the move you did as it would be going from snows to a high performance all season.

The good news is that the car takes to it. Many times the car will be "over-tired" and not respond well to such increased grip and construction. Harsh ride, unpredictable handling, weird steering motions, noise, etc. can be the result.

It seems as if the F10 benefits from a lack of compromise and the chassis is tuned to accept, rather than reject, the performance benefits granted by the tires. Too often people forget how important the tire is to the car, and also that the manufacturer doesn't always get it right. Case in point:

In 2004 Volvo introduced the "R" variants of it's S60 sedan and V70 wagon. Computer controlled fully adjustable suspension, AWD, 4 piston Brembos on all corners, and 300 turbo HP coupled to a 6 speed manual (available in the wagon too!) made for a car which was competitive in the day. However, Volvo chose to equip the car with Pirelli P Zero Rosso Summer tires. HUGE mistake.

P Zero Rossos are a high performance tire. They are OE equipment on many exotics and high end sports cars. But they are a poor, poor match to the suspension in the R. As a result, the car's handling is jittery and the ride is poor with the Rossos. Worst, is a side-stepping motion of the rear end over bumps (especially in corners) that we called "side-hop". It was downright dangerous at times. Car and Driver noted in their 2004 write up that the "tail end was hopping around like an excited puppy. Spooky". (See, the spooky comment is one they've used for a while).

Good tires would overcome it in an instant. Every R owner on the internet knows the first thing to do is to get rid of the Rossos.

Glad to hear the F10 has some untapped potential under the hood.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Wrong, ALL NEW f10's NO Spare wheel at all, run flats.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
2008 is not new.
Yes, you are correct, 2008 is not new.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 550 IX
So it sounds like KC had no problem installing regular tires on f10. Dealer told me impossible as the rim has two lips, etc,etc Glad to hear it's worked out for you. I plan to do exactly that in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, 2008 is not new.
No worries, mate.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raarco View Post
So it sounds like KC had no problem installing regular tires on f10. Dealer told me impossible as the rim has two lips, etc,etc Glad to hear it's worked out for you. I plan to do exactly that in the spring.

LOL ............. how do know when the dealer is lying???????

"His lips are moving"

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raarco View Post

The only RFT's on the market that use a rim incompatible with normal tires are Michelin's "Pax" system. Comes on Hondy Odysseys, not sure what else.

Does not have 2 lips, but believe that the inner lip and outer lip have different diameters. Forget why...