Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Yash the handy man

Mein Auto: 99 bmw z3 2.3
Am i lucky ?

Just though i will share how i came by my z3, It started out with me having 500 bucks and decided i need a beater car to drive to work as i was putting to many miles on my truck,so I searched Craigslist and found a used five speed Acura Vigor with supposedly a bad clutch for 450 bucks.

Being handy and all i pulled it in my garage, dropped the gearbox and saw a brand new clutch, but found that the previous mechanic had installed the fork wrong as it was a pull and not a push set up hence the so called "bad clutch" so i put it back together the correct way. "And there was Clutch", then though maybe i could make some money off this so i re-posted the car on Craigslist and got it sold for 2500 bucks. then started looking for a rear wheel drive car, my initial choices were 83-85 rx7, 70s z Datsun or 95 and up 240 SX,s after searching all possible outlets for these cars with no success i finally picked up a 89 one owner crx which was meticulously maintained for 1200 . after driving that car for four months i got tired of people asking to buy the car and finally gave in to a guy with 5500.

So i started my rear wheel hunt again this time whenever I'd find a car it would either be totally riced or rotten and my rule is if the body needs work they can keep it because 1 i don't do body work and 2 body work i usually expensive but i can always work on the drive train so i picked up a 97 sh prelude for 1800 with a blown motor i immediately pulled the engine and started looking for a replacement but could not find a sh motor for under 3500 and there was only like five in the country so i thought my luck had run out.
So I paused for a week to clear my frustration ( was searching day and night driving the wife crazy).
Then one glorious Saturday I decided to search TN Craigslist, And there it was, the sh engine with 40000 miles on it out in murpheesboro for 800. After doing the map quest i found it was a four hours hike one way but definitely worth it, so i embarked in the rain which made it more daunting.Got engine, dropped it in the car, No issues "Yes". I even parted the old motor for 1000 so that was a win, drove the prelude for 4 moths but still felt the urge for rear wheel. So i sold it for 5700 and started my hunt again.

Again i was glued to Craigslist every chance i get then one day out the blue a 99 2.5 z3 popped up in my search even though i wasn't searching for one so i decided to look at it.I was like "wait a min this is a rear wheel drive car" and was going for 5300. The car was also i the middle of nowhere so i took a chance driving 70 miles one way, got to the dealership, saw the car which actually looked way better in person as it was a one owner car, garaged kept, and was really loved, cared for and driven. It had 160 on the dash i though man that was some high miles but decided to test drive it anyway and man it was a blast!

after driving around town and on I 75 for about half a hour with the top down i was in love,(first time driving in a convertible) man it was quick and just so much fun! so i drove back to the dealer to talk business. I ended up getting the car for four grand including tax and tags.

Was that a good Price?

But on my way home i though dang i hardly know jack about this car so i went home got online and found the fest and after signing up and reading the z forums i was devastated learning about all the problems it may have, i mean it had a clean Carfax, immaculate body, no leaks and purrs but no maintenance records so i had trouble sleeping that night thinking what an idiot but also thought its my play car so whenever it breaks oh well. I woke up early the next morning and started tinkering around with it and decide to refresh the interior and finally opened the upper center pocket and discovered 11 years of maintenance records upon until the week before i bought it jackpot man was i happy , turns out the owner had upgraded to a z4.

I will definitely make sure i do my home work from no on, but man i love this car and drive it every chance i get the only prob i have with it is the shifter but have learned how to drive it so shifts are smooth and i am no heavy foot but this car just loves to be revved. I did a fluids change the other day and the only issue i had was getting clearance to work as its sits so low and have almost no places to put a jack, so that was a task.

I have nothing but pride in my z my boys at work often joke saying "how long you keeping this one" i just smile as they don't know the Love i have for this car the only issue now is getting these Japanese cars to leave me alone, i cant stop at a light without some guy wanting to challenge me, I hear them revving up, I look over and see them cutting the ac off while flipping various switches, then green light and I'm gone. I usually just shift 1-3 (that's all it takes) and totally dusts them, then just ease back no tickets wanted here, then after a lot of seconds they'd be screaming by i just smile and think "stay in your lane boy".

I had my first scare two days ago. I was trying to get across a busy four lane highway and every time there is a break somebody up the street from me would drive out and then crawls so i was starting to steam, then there was another break and some guy pulled out up street and just took his merry time i was so angry as soon as he passed i just lifted clutch and power slid all the way across into the left lane i thought oh crap but also thought wow this is fun! this car really has some torque then shifted to second while still sliding adrenalin wow ( i don't recommend you to try this on the streets) but fun nonetheless.

By far the Best five hundred i have ever spent

Can anyone tell me whats the max speed for all the gears because I'm wondering if I may be shifting too early. thanks and don't get annoyed by very long story, Just though I'd share.

Also if anyone has a front style 42 17x7.5 is 41 sitting around let me know.

Last edited by yash; 12-19-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
KenTenn

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster
Welcome to the obsession!

'06 Z4M Roadster
'03 Z4 3.0L Roadster (Sold)
'00 Z3 2.3L Roadster (Sold)
www.woodenmachinistchest.com
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Welcome to the fest buddy! Once you get in a Z it's impossible to get out!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Couldn't read.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
What happened to my post?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Welcome to the boards.

It is really hard to read what you wrote, because you didn't use any punctuation or capital letters. I read the first two sentences and got the drift.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Yash the handy man

Mein Auto: 99 bmw z3 2.3
As i mentioned in the post that is now removed i was using my black berry storm and just though it wasn't that serious. but it is now corrected thanks for reading.

Last edited by yash; 12-19-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
No worries, I understood it as well... just made a joke towards blau335 since he said he couldn't read it.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Welcome to the board.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4, 2001 Z3
Good story, but can you got back and edit...use paragraphs, etc. And congrats on the Z.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
It's not an exam, but since we all come here for the fun of it, when you have to "work" to read someone's post, no matter the subject, a lot of people just won't take the time.

I read through your entire post, and while capitals and paragraphs would've made it easier, it was still interesting enough (to me) that I continued. If I had been in a hurry, "just checking in" I probably wouldn't have read the whole thing either.

Welcome to the 'fest, the cars are great, yada, yada...

Tip: if you make a post asking a question for help with a problem, make it a little simpler to read

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Yayyy! No excuses now